Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Derbyshire Times Latest - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (829 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Derbyshire Times Latest

#41 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 March 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

I don't think that was deliberate, if correct. I believe you're over-thinking it and he was simply a poor manager.

Reluctant as I am to argue on the basis of players' wages, about which we know nothing, it's not far-fetched to assume that SEB and particularly Novak were signed on big money by DS - did anybody think differently?
He might have been a poor manager, but he'd have to be a raving idiot to go out and spend like that without realising it would mean he was committed to a certain style of play. If he'd spent the same on a central defender and a full-back we'd have rightly assumed he was going to play with a tight defence.

#42 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

View Posth again, on 17 March 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Reluctant as I am to argue on the basis of players' wages, about which we know nothing, it's not far-fetched to assume that SEB and particularly Novak were signed on big money by DS - did anybody think differently?
He might have been a poor manager, but he'd have to be a raving idiot to go out and spend like that without realising it would mean he was committed to a certain style of play. If he'd spent the same on a central defender and a full-back we'd have rightly assumed he was going to play with a tight defence.

I don't see that signing SEB & Novak, on any wages, committed him to a certain style of play. They were available & he signed them - the players he had were capable of much better but he was hamstrung by his own blindness and touch of bad luck at times.

#43 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

View Postdim view, on 17 March 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

he's dead right. The defence, both in selection and play, was shambolic last week. Raglan presents no improvement on either Hird or Anderson.

Aren't the midfield meant supposed to stop at least a few attacks before they get to the last line? There was none of that last Saturday.
Powder puff would be hardly apt for the midfield in many games this season.
I can't recall one instance of midfield winning the ball from the opposition against Walsall.

#44 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 March 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

I don't see that signing SEB & Novak, on any wages, committed him to a certain style of play. They were available & he signed them - the players he had were capable of much better but he was hamstrung by his own blindness and touch of bad luck at times.

If he signed them for peanuts it didn't - he'd have had plenty to spend on the rest of the team. If he spent big on them it left him reliant on his strikers at the expense of inevitably conceding goals. Unfortunately he forgot a rule of warfare or football - make sure the supply lines are working, though the injury to Martinez was probably critical.
I wouldn't discount the possibility that his brief when he got the job was to continue the gung-ho attacking style we'd got used to, and he recruited accordingly. He talked up an even more direct approach in the early days. Big mistake, as soon became apparent.

#45 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 March 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

Aren't the midfield meant supposed to stop at least a few attacks before they get to the last line? There was none of that last Saturday.
Powder puff would be hardly apt for the midfield in many games this season.
I can't recall one instance of midfield winning the ball from the opposition against Walsall.

Strange business last Saturday. Walsall play a bit like we used to last season, and the way to stop Cookie's sides was to close them down instantly. Give his sides time to pass it around and we could sit back and enjoy the win.
We should have done the same to Walsall, but stood off even more than normal. Heigh-ho. Onward and upward.

#46 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

h again said:

1458304536[/url]' post='1195205']
If he signed them for peanuts it didn't - he'd have had plenty to spend on the rest of the team. If he spent big on them it left him reliant on his strikers at the expense of inevitably conceding goals. Unfortunately he forgot a rule of warfare or football - make sure the supply lines are working, though the injury to Martinez was probably critical.
I wouldn't discount the possibility that his brief when he got the job was to continue the gung-ho attacking style we'd got used to, and he recruited accordingly. He talked up an even more direct approach in the early days. Big mistake, as soon became apparent.

Apart from playing steady patient passing football rather than "gung-ho" football we had become used too........

A new hope.

#47 User is offline   RGS 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Sam Hird still has a sour taste from last Saturday's controversial scenes

http://m.derbyshiret...versy-1-7803291

#48 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

View Posth again, on 18 March 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

If this was actually the case I'd be questioning Allen/Turner's sanity. He has never done this at any of the clubs he's been at. It was never going to end well.

#49 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostGoku, on 18 March 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

If this was actually the case I'd be questioning Allen/Turner's sanity. He has never done this at any of the clubs he's been at. It was never going to end well.

If that was his brief, he should have been sacked earlier as he didn't follow it. We played a flat back 10 half the time if we got our heads in front. He was Duncanesque but not as successful

#50 User is offline   RGS 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Wilson impressed by opposite number. Says Scunny may have playoff hopes

http://m.derbyshiret...hopes-1-7803428

#51 User is offline   TheMatlockFan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Matlock have signed Ashley Bartle from you on a dual registration deal but you have recalled Jake Orrell

http://m.derbyshiret...eites-1-7804261

Thought I'd flag this up for you guys as some of my friends who are fans of your club weren't aware of said news.

#52 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

Never even heard of him
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#53 User is offline   TheMatlockFan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 18 March 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Never even heard of him

U21 developmental player I believe but born, bread and originally played his football for Matlock Town juniors before getting signed in 2013.

This post has been edited by TheMatlockFan: 18 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

#54 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

Did orrell do anything for you?

Think he'll be too small to make it as a footballer, rubbish signing by Saunders really.
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#55 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 18 March 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Think he'll be too small to make it as a footballer, rubbish signing by Saunders really.

Ward was too small too ☺
Here we go again!

#56 User is offline   TheMatlockFan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

Jake's a lovely lad and works hard with a real burst of pace in him but sadly his appearances were restricted due to injury but he gives 100% work rate.

#57 User is offline   RGS 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

Live feed for today's game, if you can't make it - http://www.derbyshir...e/event?1423569

Team news - http://www.derbyshir...clash-1-7806662

#58 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

Had a great game away at Carlisle away way back in the season in the League Cup

#59 User is offline   RGS 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Match report - http://www.derbyshir...conds-1-7806774

#60 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 March 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Presumably a big piece in DT next week.

Yeah, right!

I have looked on the official site and I cannot see anything about the fantastic work carried out by loyal honest fans with cfc,s interest only at heart.Hopefully I have missed it but I'm sure it must be on there somewhere.As a small family orientated club it's nice when credit is given ,the chairman must be very proud.

This post has been edited by Bonnyman: 19 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

Share this topic:

• (829 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users