Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Bring Back Devon Malcolm - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bring Back Devon Malcolm

#1 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

Next time England play in Australia we need bowlers with raw pace not blimey seam bowlers. **** England.

#2 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

We haven't got one. I'd consider recalling Devon, but at really 60 years of age I think he'd have to play a bit of county cricket before the next tour.

#3 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

He couldn’t be any less effective though could he?
Seamers who all do pretty much the same thing and occasional spinners. Poor team, poor tactics, poor captaincy, poor selection.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#4 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

Can't we get Allan Donald out of retirementI know he's South African but that's not stopped us before😂

#5 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 16 December 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Seamers who all do pretty much the same thing and occasional spinners. Poor team, poor tactics, poor captaincy, poor selection.

What do you expect with a Pudding as captain lol

#6 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

View Postwhittman, on 16 December 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

I have to say I normally look forward to an Ashes series but with coverage on BT , (won't subscribe) and the embarrassing way we are performing, just glad I'm not wasting time staying up to watch the crap served up.
Whose the coach, Caldwell!?!?!!?

#7 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

Seamers who all do pretty much the same thing and occasional spinners.Poor team, poor tactics, poor captaincy, poor selection.

Have you copied and pasted this from the August match threads??

This post has been edited by Steve Kendall 1982: 16 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

#8 User is offline   Tony Powers 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Lager, Football, Cricket, Lager

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

View Postbucko, on 16 December 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

I have to say I normally look forward to an Ashes series but with coverage on BT , (won't subscribe) and the embarrassing way we are performing, just glad I'm not wasting time staying up to watch the crap served up.
Whose the coach, Caldwell!?!?!!?

Excuse the pun but it has been a real Test to watch...my body clock and mood are completely broken!

#9 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Blimey you are harsh.

We are playing Australia in Australia on a ground at which we almost NEVER win anyway, with a ball designed to refuse to swing or seam after twenty overs or so, which only comes to life at all for extreme pace. WE have only one bowler out there of that pace and he is more or less permanently injured.

Okay one or two selections were contentious. James Vince might just make Derbyshire's team for a four-day game. Jake Ball: great name, great game? And if you drag a young leggie to Australia, get him on the pitch; they would! But if you look for English batsmen who might trouble the Aussies then we'd have at least three wicket keepers out there and if you're looking for quick bowlers who pressed any sort of claim for a place last summer you'll need a deal of imagination.

Since our vice-captain, second best batsman, most aggressive, but not most skillful bowler, and our best fielder would rather fight in the street than play cricket ......... I was just wondering what you thought would happen? It's disappointing that Joe Root has not this time been able to play like one of the best batsmen in the world, which he certainly IS. It's very disappointing that Alastair Cook appears to have mentally retired before the tour. BUT anyone who expected Jimmy Anderson at 35 to discover swing with this ball on this ground and save us needs a night on the town with Duckett and Bairstow.

#10 User is offline   Radders 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostAlbert Holmes Slides In, on 16 December 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Blimey you are harsh.

We are playing Australia in Australia on a ground at which we almost NEVER win anyway, with a ball designed to refuse to swing or seam after twenty overs or so, which only comes to life at all for extreme pace. WE have only one bowler out there of that pace and he is more or less permanently injured.

Okay one or two selections were contentious. James Vince might just make Derbyshire's team for a four-day game. Jake Ball: great name, great game? And if you drag a young leggie to Australia, get him on the pitch; they would! But if you look for English batsmen who might trouble the Aussies then we'd have at least three wicket keepers out there and if you're looking for quick bowlers who pressed any sort of claim for a place last summer you'll need a deal of imagination.

Since our vice-captain, second best batsman, most aggressive, but not most skillful bowler, and our best fielder would rather fight in the street than play cricket ......... I was just wondering what you thought would happen? It's disappointing that Joe Root has not this time been able to play like one of the best batsmen in the world, which he certainly IS. It's very disappointing that Alastair Cook appears to have mentally retired before the tour. BUT anyone who expected Jimmy Anderson at 35 to discover swing with this ball on this ground and save us needs a night on the town with Duckett and Bairstow.

I agree to an extent, I didn't expect us to win - however, I did expect to see an element of fight on the pitch rather than the street. They've just melted - shown no spirit and seem to care very little about the fans that have gone all the way over to Australia to be humiliated. It aint good enough!

#11 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

View PostRadders, on 16 December 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I agree to an extent, I didn't expect us to win - however, I did expect to see an element of fight on the pitch rather than the street. They've just melted - shown no spirit and seem to care very little about the fans that have gone all the way over to Australia to be humiliated. It aint good enough!

Completely agree mate, the thing is the England test team know they are onto a winner when they play abroad, wherever they go and however they play the barmy army will turn up, have a party and make a racket, and not get on their backs. So I doubt they have any real consideration for fans shelling out bags of cash to go and watch them.

#12 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

In all three tests so far there have been times when it looked as though we might actually be getting on top of the Aussies

However each time we have been unable to press home the advantage and a 5-0 whitewash now looks a distinct possibility

#13 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 16 December 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

Next time England play in Australia we need bowlers with raw pace not blimey seam bowlers. **** England.

Jobs for the boys, been like it for years.

They pick from fashionable counties and have overlooked players for years. (e.g Mark Fottit and imagine him on that wicket now left arm 92mph +)

But no lets pick Broad who cant bat and has been mediocre for the last two years, Woakes who has not been fit most of the season and is woefully short in sharpness and Ali who is the spinner in the team, only he cant spin it because he has been injured and has for some bizzare reason changed his action in the middle of the biggest test series of all. Oh and he cant play the short ball either. Brilliant ECB

Never mind they will be back in England next year with the Duke ball in overcast conditions, the ball will move sideways and there reputations and averages will be enhanced.

And the merrygoround goes on and on........

You reap what you sow England

#14 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

View Postwhittman, on 16 December 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

In all three tests so far there have been times when it looked as though we might actually be getting on top of the Aussies

However each time we have been unable to press home the advantage and a 5-0 whitewash now looks a distinct possibility

Dear Australia

Please accept this gift called initiative because when we have it we dont know what to do with it, so you might as well have it

Regards

England

#15 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

Blimey you are harsh.

No not harsh and your missing the point.

If we planned properly and looked outside the box we WOULD be competitive. This is a average Australian side that is been made to look like all time greats

#16 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 16 December 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

We haven't got one. I'd consider recalling Devon, but at really 60 years of age I think he'd have to play a bit of county cricket before the next tour.

We need Hendrick, Miller and Taylor because they were in the team last time we won in Perth

Went to bed last night after listening to Boycott tearing Marsh's technique to shreds, woke up with him on 180 not out
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#17 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Saw Devon Malcolm play at Staveley Welfare many moons ago.

Slip fielders were on the boundary, bricking themselves!

We should have taken Rashid intead of Crane, Stokes over Woakes, and Plunkett. Seems like they coached everything that was good out of Steve Finn.

#18 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Blimey you are harsh.

If the ball isn’t swinging then you bowl with discipline, put it in the right areas and be hard to score off, create pressure. Out bowling has been poor, way too much short rubbish, and as everyone else has said the attack is too one paced.
I think we over hype our players as usual, top players can dig in and produce, Root, as I pointed out earlier has been very poor both as a player and a captain.

#19 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 16 December 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

Jobs for the boys, been like it for years.

They pick from fashionable counties and have overlooked players for years. (e.g Mark Fottit and imagine him on that wicket now left arm 92mph +)

But no lets pick Broad who cant bat and has been mediocre for the last two years, Woakes who has not been fit most of the season and is woefully short in sharpness and Ali who is the spinner in the team, only he cant spin it because he has been injured and has for some bizzare reason changed his action in the middle of the biggest test series of all. Oh and he cant play the short ball either. Brilliant ECB

Never mind they will be back in England next year with the Duke ball in overcast conditions, the ball will move sideways and there reputations and averages will be enhanced.

And the merrygoround goes on and on........

You reap what you sow England

Absoulutely spot on Peoples Champion

#20 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

View Postwhittman, on 16 December 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

:rolleyes: Careful,that "Yorkie" is from Derbyshire stock. :blush:
Many a good tune

Share this topic: