• You cannot reply to this topic

Mark Crossley

#41 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 21 May 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Do you not think that it's time for football clubs to take control of their structures & how positions are populated, rather than it chopping & changing every time there's a change in manager?

There appears to be a reluctance by clubs to take control & opt on the side of fully supporting a newly appointed manager, but all this does is help jobs for the boys culture at the expense of other employees.

If a club is happy with employee X & that employee has a proven track record of delivering results, why should he/she be moved on to accommodate the wishes of a new manager.

I'd hope Paul Mitchell's new position might start to look at the club's structure & how we go about hiring / firing football related personnel.

I think you're spot on as per usual. Sacking a proven fitness coach, for example, and replacing him with someone who is most likely going to do the exact same thing as him because the manager 'trusts him more' is boulderdash.

#42 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Do you not think that it's time for football clubs to take control of their structures & how positions are populated, rather than it chopping & changing every time there's a change in manager?

There appears to be a reluctance by clubs to take control & opt on the side of fully supporting a newly appointed manager, but all this does is help jobs for the boys culture at the expense of other employees.

If a club is happy with employee X & that employee has a proven track record of delivering results, why should he/she be moved on to accommodate the wishes of a new manager.

I'd hope Paul Mitchell's new position might start to look at the club's structure & how we go about hiring / firing football related personnel.

Two year contracts with optional rolling on year by year would fit for the club

#43 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostGoku, on 21 May 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

I think you're spot on as per usual. Sacking a proven fitness coach, for example, and replacing him with someone who is most likely going to do the exact same thing as him because the manager 'trusts him more' is boulderdash.

Perhaps having watched our games Saunders is concerned that some particular areas relating to strength and fitness aren't covered in the way he likes?

Just playing devils advocate - I can't personally say what those areas might be
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#44 User is online   Goku 

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 21 May 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Perhaps having watched our games Saunders is concerned that some particular areas relating to strength and fitness aren't covered in the way he likes?

I'm not even sure how he'd begin to quantify such a thing tbh. We've competed till the end in every game we've played this season.

#45 User is offline   RikShaw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

Sports businesses are team business that need success delivered immediately: us fans demand it ! ;)

With it being a 'team', the business/club cannot afford any conflict between management/players - otherwise no matter how good they are individually they won't perform to their best ie Gerrard/Lampard rarely performed as well together for England, as they did for their clubs.

Would Cooky have been as successful with Crossley & Wright as he was with Richardson & Lynch? Probably not. Would Saunders be successful with Richardson & Lynch? He doesn't know them I guess, how they work etc - they may get on socially but when it comes to football strategy/tactics - they probably have different views and therefore potential conflict. And with the business being short-term, they wouldn't be allowed the time to find out if they could work together, especially if the results are not there from the start; then the fans start protesting, gates drop and revenue reduces and pressure builds up.

We know the football business is different from normal commercial businesses, it needs results immediately and importantly it is based on people and personalities: not about making products and selling them. However, it should be, but isn't. What other 'business' would their owners chuck millions at for no return (Bolton Wanderers £145m in debt, what other 'business' with similar t/o could sustain that?) and yet these same 'owners', with their 'proper' business will negotiate the 'shirt of your back' when you try and sell them something.

We have to accept that in football commonsense/logic/best practice goes out the window and not just with the owners, but fans too ie I would like to be though of as a normal/rational chap, but between 3-5pm on a Saturday afternoon, you've probably witnessed me turn into somebody completely opposite :blush:

#46 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

Or perhaps Shinner was asked to relinquish his position and become reserve team fitness coach - and quietly told them where to stick that plan.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#47 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 May 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Or perhaps Shinner was asked to relinquish his position and become reserve team fitness coach - and quietly told them where to stick that plan.

Shinner has been classy and dignified on Twitter about his exit. We'll probably never find out
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#48 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Great news about Mark Crossley, I met him on a plane to Crete a few years back. Top bloke always got time for fans and Tommy should be happier too.

#49 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 21 May 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Great news about Mark Crossley, I met him on a plane to Crete a few years back. Top bloke always got time for fans and Tommy should be happier too.

Good interview on Player. The contractual position of Miles Wright will be coming up again.

#50 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

https://audioboom.co...h-mark-crossley

Radio Sheffield interview here

#51 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostGoku, on 21 May 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm not even sure how he'd begin to quantify such a thing tbh. We've competed till the end in every game we've played this season.

C'mon Gok!
You know better than that!
Theres more to football than just finishing the 90 mins like that.

How about teaching Armand to jump higher/ Darikwa to sprint/ Evatt to turn / Roberts to accelerate (just off top of my head).

Every aspect of a teams conditioning is quantifiable

#52 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Challenging for set pieces? One area that we consistently come second best at. More likely to be how the players are coached though. Another key area is the development of our reserve players but bringing back competitive reserve games should improve that. Think it's more likely to be that ds knows and trusts his own man. The flipside is that shinner knows more about our players, but once again knowing people too well can have a negative side as things can get too complacent, occasionally a shake up is needed. Just thoughts. Not necessarily the answers. Time will tell, if we see improvements or not.

#53 User is online   Goku 

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 21 May 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

C'mon Gok!

How about teaching Armand to jump higher/ Darikwa to sprint/ Evatt to turn / Roberts to accelerate (just off top of my head).

For all you know a lot of work has been done on these attributes already (although he probs gave up on Armand, I would)

#54 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

View Postmoondog, on 21 May 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

https://audioboom.co...h-mark-crossley

Radio Sheffield interview here

Hmmmm. Looks like Norm is the new Reserve Team Manager then. That's a very good shrewd use of his talent. I can see a new structure developing.

#55 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 May 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

Hmmmm. Looks like Norm is the new Reserve Team Manager then. That's a very good shrewd use of his talent. I can see a new structure developing.

He had the same role previously didn't he, albeit without proper competitive games.

#56 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostGoku, on 21 May 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

For all you know a lot of work has been done on these attributes already (although he probs gave up on Armand, I would)

It doesn't look like it :wacko:

#57 User is online   Goku 

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 21 May 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

It doesn't look like it :wacko:

Has Evo ever not turned like he's dragging an oil tanker or has Roberts ever been quick? They're not changing that at their ages. Very harsh mate, very harsh. He played his part in getting a team to 6th in the league, a position we shouldn't have reached wage budget-wise. He did a few things right.

This post has been edited by Goku: 21 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

#58 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostMaverick, on 21 May 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Sports businesses are team business that need success delivered immediately: us fans demand it ! ;)

With it being a 'team', the business/club cannot afford any conflict between management/players - otherwise no matter how good they are individually they won't perform to their best ie Gerrard/Lampard rarely performed as well together for England, as they did for their clubs.

Would Cooky have been as successful with Crossley & Wright as he was with Richardson & Lynch? Probably not. Would Saunders be successful with Richardson & Lynch? He doesn't know them I guess, how they work etc - they may get on socially but when it comes to football strategy/tactics - they probably have different views and therefore potential conflict. And with the business being short-term, they wouldn't be allowed the time to find out if they could work together, especially if the results are not there from the start; then the fans start protesting, gates drop and revenue reduces and pressure builds up.

We know the football business is different from normal commercial businesses, it needs results immediately and importantly it is based on people and personalities: not about making products and selling them. However, it should be, but isn't. What other 'business' would their owners chuck millions at for no return (Bolton Wanderers £145m in debt, what other 'business' with similar t/o could sustain that?) and yet these same 'owners', with their 'proper' business will negotiate the 'shirt of your back' when you try and sell them something.

We have to accept that in football commonsense/logic/best practice goes out the window and not just with the owners, but fans too ie I would like to be though of as a normal/rational chap, but between 3-5pm on a Saturday afternoon, you've probably witnessed me turn into somebody completely opposite :blush:

Good reply, Rick.

#59 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 21 May 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

C'mon Gok!

Some things can't be taught.

#60 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 May 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

Some things can't be taught.

Correct. You can't put there what God didn't. I also fail to see what effect MC can have on Tommy Lee other than perhaps boosting his confidence. For all the talk of keepers getting better with age, if he can't do it at this stage in his career, he probably isn't going to....
We're on our way

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users