Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Bridge Inn Q & A Session With Paul Cook - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Inn Q & A Session With Paul Cook Thursday 9th April 2015

#1 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

This is the thread where myself and Starksy72 will be posting details of the questions asked and the answers given, from tonight's session.

Please use the other thread if you want to ask any questions and Big Paul will do his best to ask them for you.

Please don't post in here until the end and if Mods could pin this, that would be great.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 09 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

#2 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Q: Why is Sam Morsy wearing the captains armband when Evatt is on the pitch

A: Evatt has had some hard times this season and sometimes its hard to concentrate on both his own performance and the captains responsibility. Ian needed to find his form again and taking away the additional responsibility has helped with that. Samy wears his heart on his sleeve and the captaincy gives him that little bit more responsibility and helps him learn the importance of having our strongest players on the pitch.. :)

#3 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Q. Who is your strongest player? And who would your vote for PotY?

A. I'd vote for Tendayi. He's grown this season and has developed a tremendous will to win. Roberts, Hird, lee, Ryan are all quality players and you almost expect it from them but TD will be sat down soon to discuss a new deal.

#4 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

Q: What's the situation with Jimmy Ryan

A: You know as much as me.... We are apart in terms of money. When we signed Jimmy he had no other club to go to, he's had one contract and as a consequence he's one of our lowest paid players, the only increase was a % increase following promotion.
We've tried our best to sign Jimmy, he's been offered a good deal but Jimmy wants a better deal. The biggest thing I must add is that Jimmy never leaves anything on the pitch and certainly doesn't look like he wants to play for anyone else. His contract runs to the end of the season and he would sign straight away if he got the money he requested..

This post has been edited by starsky72: 09 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

#5 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

Q. How are you looking to strengthen for next season?

A. I need to be careful what I talkabout, I can't sit here saying stuff that would either compromise either me or the players or the club. Last summer we didn't strengthen too much, for various reason, and another similar summer and it might start to cause us problems.

#6 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

Q: Tendayi Darikwa at Bradford City seemed to go into another gear, probably one of the best performances I'd seen from one of our players, what do you think Paul?

A: It's hard for me as a manager when your players get criticised, especially when I know how good they are. I'll keep backing the players, I believe that our lads are getting stronger as the season goes on... I expect that sort of performance from Tendayi, he just lacks some quality in the last third of the pitch.

#7 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Q. Charlie Raglan. Came in did well, Nd seems to have disappeared, why?

A. Great lad, very good professional and a pleasure to manage. Charlie will be a strong player for this club, but continuity is the key from now til the end of the season. He and Georg were a very good partnership and CR was unlucky to lose his place but will get his chance again. PC knows nothing of rumours of him off elsewhere and he under contract for another season. Ryan we've already talked about and "you'd all love me to re-sign Armand again, wouldn't you??" :lol: :lol: :lol:
The rest of the squad is pretty much settled contract-wise.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 09 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

#8 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

Q: Why did you change the formation at Rochdale with Armand upfront, it was one of our worst performances..

A: Confidence was really low at that time and Armand has always been too physical for Rochdale. Armand will always get singled out, lads who lead the line and don't score will always get singled out. Sometimes we don't "get out" quick enough so we need that physicality up front.

#9 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

Q. What are your thoughts on Dan gardeners progress? Did you expect more from him?

A. DG has never really had a run of game to establish himself due to niggling injuries. He has great ability and energy and wilth a run of 2/3 months you'll see him progress and do well.

#10 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

Q: What do you see in the new lad?

A: The reserve team next year (hopefully) will be a good ground for players like that. Some of the wages paid in this division would take your breath away, we need to mould young players.

#11 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

Q. We've seen many outgoing loans this season, had we had a reserve team, would they have stayed instead?

A. Nothing firm for next season, although PC and CT working hard to secure funding a reserve side. It's very difficult and the finances is always an issue. DT is a good example of players who weren't playing and who have benefitted from loan spells. Any loans out will always be for the clubs and the players benefit.

#12 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

Q: Caolan Lavery, any designs on signing him?

A: No (firm) Finances get silly, he plays for a Championship team, it's off the graph. We need to get players BEFORE they get good, Doyle being a prime example.

#13 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Q. You've touch on gary Roberts, why did he signed for us?

A. GR was on a two year deal, on a decent amount of money at Swindon but they were looking to reduce costs. When PC came LBM was here and had 0 goals, 0 assists and wasn't playing for nothing. We need players who get goals, who get assists. GR is our top paid player but took a massive cut when he signed but got a 3 year deal but he got us up to l1 on his own (according to gary himself) GR was signed to be a club icon and the club sold that to him to convince him to sign.

#14 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Q: Will we be offering Robbo another contract..

A: Him and Jimmy travel in the same car so I don't think so.... If we have aspirations to go where we want to go we need to spend more money.

#15 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

Q. Do you think football is more about money that loyalty or passion?

A. No loyalty in football any more. Who was the last player to have a testimonial? They used to be common but not any more. Agents run football and it will only get worse. We had no choice than to sell Doyle. The agents have done the deals before the club out offers on the table. If a player wants to go, you can't stand in their way.

#16 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

Q: Richie Humphreys.... Bridge Inn sponsor his kit home and away. You've talked about bringing young players in but someone like Ritchie has added a lot hasn't he?

A: The level of professionalism the lad has is off the radar. The biggest thing I can say about Ritchie is the positive impact he has on all those around him. He was magnificent at Bradford, I trust him to do a job and that effect on younger lads is huge. I couldn't speak more highly of him, he's the ultimate pro.

This post has been edited by starsky72: 09 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

#17 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

Q. Do we have to sell a player a year to balance the books and is championship football really viable for us.

A. Of course it's viable, but a club like us biggest issue is keeping good players to get your there. If we make the play offs we have a decent chance of going up, but getting there I'll be very tough. There is nothing to say we have to sell players but ever offer is judged on its merits but we will never keep a player against his wishes.

#18 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

Q: Is there a pre season trip planned to Ireland?

A: Yes, Portugal is old hat, things change and move on, I do think we'll be in Ireland this pre season.

#19 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

Q. (Lindave). As you know my favourite moan is about corners.

A. 113 without a goal

Q. Some we take are terrible but we've done ok recently but we have no one who a can head a ball. Evo can't head a ball.

A. I agree, evo goes to soon

Q. Apology for shouting at your at the Coventry game.

A. Didn't realise it was you!

Q. Glyn shouted as well!!

A. My big thing is we will never get every decision right, sometimes it does right, sometimes it goes wrong. Our supporters are fantastic but I just wished they'd get behind the players during the game, not shout/moan at me. After the game slag whoever off you want off, but during the game GET BEHIND THE LADS ON THE PITCH. I always clap the fans pre game, they never boo before kick off!! Crewe was. Massive win and I appreciate the support was fantastic.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 09 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

#20 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:52 PM

Q: How highly do you rate the contribution of our chief scout Paul Mitchell.

A: I don't want to criticise anyone so I am going to decline the question...... Paul Mitchell can only recommend players who can make us better, we haven't signed any of them....
We were in for Higdon and we baulked at the money, we couldn't afford it (still think he would have been good for us). Mitch does a great job for us.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users