• You cannot reply to this topic

Lee What was that?

#21 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:27 PM

View Postsophocles, on 29 October 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

You obviously weren't behind the shot for the first - I was, and it swerved violently making it virtually impossible to stop. I don't know what made it swerve, or whether there was any deflection, but as Tommy was moving to his right where the ball was heading, it suddenly bent a yard in the opposite direction.

Great bit of skill if you can suddenly make a ball swerve 3ft in the opposite direction just as the opposition keepers about to save it.

#22 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

View Postsophocles, on 29 October 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

It was really strange; I don't think there was a deflection, so I can only assume the taker put some odd spin on it by the way he struck it.

It floated 2 foot above the wall and you don't think there was a deflection?

The only thing strange was Lee's reaction
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#23 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostRodney, on 29 October 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

Great bit of skill if you can suddenly make a ball swerve 3ft in the opposite direction just as the opposition keepers about to save it.

:D Even Ronaldo not learned that one. Reminded me of bristol city's winner where he seemed to move his body away from the ball, albeit it was moving quickly. Does Tommy need to go to Specsavers?

#24 User is offline   BurySpireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:House, CFC & Reddit.

Newcastle based doc

RIP Bury FC + Barry Chuckle

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

I really don't like this sudden turn on Tommy :( He's gone from being the best keeper outside the prem to being league 2 level without ever actually being an average league 1 GK at any point. Whether he was overrated in the past or is being unnecessarily slated now I'm not sure but I really hope he can sort himself out.

Would be very sad to see him go personally.
I just don't know what I'm supposed to be

#25 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 29 October 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Take the second goal. Just asking how Lee's 'lack of presence' stopped Jones being given the run around before the shot.

I blamed Jones for the goal, he was asleep as the crossfield ball reached Byrne who was given a 20yd free runinto the box, not Tommy's fault in any way.
lindave

#26 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:56 AM

View Postsophocles, on 29 October 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

You obviously weren't behind the shot for the first - I was, and it swerved violently making it virtually impossible to stop. I don't know what made it swerve, or whether there was any deflection, but as Tommy was moving to his right where the ball was heading, it suddenly bent a yard in the opposite direction.

The ball seemed to swerve from my west stand view. However, we looked at Tommy's stance and positioning including the wall. Both freekicks within minutes of each other had goal wrtten all over them, the first was only just over with the keeper well beaten. He seems flat footed as the kicks are taken in most games.I was always taught to be on my toes like a boxer so that you can adjust your movement. Tommy is still a top notch keeper, its about time Nixon earnt his corn and started working on his confidence, positioning and movement and command of his 6yd box in the box.
lindave

#27 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostRodney, on 29 October 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

It looks to me like players are starting to do some special things with free kicks. Maddison at Peterboro has put 2 free kicks in from 30 yards in the past 2 or 3 weeks and he has done it sidefooted and with hardly any backlift

#28 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

View Postlindave, on 30 October 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

The ball seemed to swerve from my west stand view. However, we looked at Tommy's stance and positioning including the wall. Both freekicks within minutes of each other had goal wrtten all over them, the first was only just over with the keeper well beaten. He seems flat footed as the kicks are taken in most games.I was always taught to be on my toes like a boxer so that you can adjust your movement. Tommy is still a top notch keeper, its about time Nixon earnt his corn and started working on his confidence, positioning and movement and command of his 6yd box in the box.

It didn't help that our two defenders were daft enough to gift two free kicks in an identical and ideal spot. Far enough out to get the ball up and down, in the centre of goal and near enough to put a side foot on it.

#29 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

There needed to be at least one extra man in the wall for the free-kick.

#30 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 30 October 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

There needed to be at least one extra man in the wall for the free-kick.

Absolutely no idea what happened for the 1st , the 2nd goal was the fault of gobern, he left jones 1 on 1 with byrne to track a runner even though they had got byrnes head down and this left jones out of position and gave byrne the yard of space he needed..Thank you very much, nothing Lee could do about it
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#31 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

If you can make a ball swerve 80% of the way from your foot to the goal then you will score lots of goals. See Ronaldo....

#32 User is offline   meowdmucker 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

View Postboot, on 29 October 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Gobern looks a decent player to me but you can't perform if you aren't fit. He hasn't played since April.

Well if he's not a decent player or doesn't look decent because he's so unfit are two very good reasons why he should not be playing for us at the moment. So we get him up to speed and then he goes back to his parent club. Great.

#33 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Postlindave, on 30 October 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

its about time Nixon earnt his corn and started working on his confidence, positioning and movement and command of his 6yd box in the box.

This blaming of Nixon is bollux. The problems are a function of us playing at a higher level. The coaches don't have magic wands which instill superhuman powers. If all those things are really missing from Tommy's game at the moment, then perhaps he needs a rest, with nowt more to read into it. Just a rest. That raises the question of whether we are wasting our money on Hunt.

On the goals, imo.
1. 30 yards out. 1 step run up. Even if it swerved, surely we could expect Tommy's last second reflex movement to be towards the ball?. I think he got himself unsighted for a split second.

2. I think an absolutely top notch goalie would have saved it as, despite it's power, the ball didn't miss Tommy by much. However, I accept that's very very harsh.

3. The goal once again caused an argument between Tommy and Jud. That's because Jud actually caught up with the striker and made him go very wide. Then Tommy and Jud collided, leaving a tap in. If Tommy had stayed on his line, it wouldn't have been a goal.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#34 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 30 October 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

If you can make a ball swerve 80% of the way from your foot to the goal then you will score lots of goals.

If you can make swerve just for the final 20% you're surely a magician

View PostBurySpireite, on 30 October 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

I really don't like this sudden turn on Tommy :( He's gone from being the best keeper outside the prem to being league 2 level without ever actually being an average league 1 GK at any point. Whether he was overrated in the past or is being unnecessarily slated now I'm not sure but I really hope he can sort himself out.

I'm not turning against him but he's not above criticism. He was a top L2 keeper and is probably an average L1 keeper. If we could find a top L1 keeper that is obviously better

#35 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostBurySpireite, on 30 October 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Never rated him as ott as some people and clearly his standards have dropped since Crossley's left based on the amount of errors he's made this season which are clearly there for all to see.I don't see that as turning on a player just an observation of poor form.

#36 User is offline   fatfrank 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

View Postmeowdmucker, on 30 October 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Well if he's not a decent player or doesn't look decent because he's so unfit are two very good reasons why he should not be playing for us at the moment. So we get him up to speed and then he goes back to his parent club. Great.

This is the main reason clubs loan players out to get them game time and get them up to speed do you think Villa would have loaned us Johnson if he was ready for their first team.

#37 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Tommy certainly looks nervous and unconfident on several occasions he has come outchanged his mind and gone back. Still a quality keeper but he needs a confidence booster performance
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#38 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

View Postmeowdmucker, on 30 October 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

I believe he is recovering from a broken foot, which is why it may take him a game or 3 to get to speed. Johnson took a few games to bed in himself

#39 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 30 October 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

If you can make swerve just for the final 20% you're surely a magician

With the balls they use these days they have a tendency to do strange things. Folk swerving free kicks from 30yds out with their instep for example and not just the likes of Drogba or Luiz. Peterbrough just bought some kid from Gateshead who is doing the same thing.

#40 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

View Postmartatcross, on 30 October 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Tommy certainly looks nervous and unconfident on several occasions he has come outchanged his mind and gone back. Still a quality keeper but he needs a confidence booster performance

I thought he had this vs Oldham?!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users