Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Tactics Completely Wrong... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tactics Completely Wrong...

#21 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

bucko, on 28 October 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

Apart from a bright opening ten minutes , we were beaten by a far better team.
Worry is we have used another wage on yet another midfielder when it's crying out for another option up front.

Why can't you mr Cook sign a striker.

They made use of the pace throughout there team and number 3 Byrne had a field day. He had so much space to run at our defence and we couldn't defend it.
They forced us out wide to put crosses in knowing that we didn't have anyone to get on the end of it.
Oh for an Ernie Moss to be on the end of some of them crosses.

We can't sign a striker because we're skint.

#22 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

bonnyman, on 28 October 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Gardner started the game like an express train but he can't run at full pelt all the way back to jones if we lose the ball he isn't mo far ah it's asking far too much

I agree Gardner started well, but, that was when he was on the right.

However, PC soon nullified that and switched him to the left.. Then having seen it wasn't working never switched him back. I'm mystified!!!

#23 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:04 PM

Tylerdurdencfc, on 28 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

It's not the first time I've said this but cook hasn't got the ability tactically to change things during a match, he makes weird substitutions, unnecessary switches in formation and baffles the fans so imagine the players. I've said this last season and I'll say it again, his tactical ability isn't up to scratch, put him against a manager with some tactical prowess and see him get his bottom wiped.

There wasn't any reason to change it during the Oldham game, then he goes on record about big changes and has messed up the last three games completely. Play your strongest team end of.

The problem now is the players haven't got a settled side or settled positions and it shows in the lack of confidence.

A few questions to ask....

Why leave Johnson out of the starting line up for the last three games ?
Why sign a defensive midfielder and break up morsy and Ryan partnership?
What has boco done wrong? He won balls in the air as an outlet, contributed a few goals and provided cover defensively on the right.
Why only have one striker?
Why sign numerous midfielders in the same position then moan they all can't play or both can't play together?
Why play a player that isn't 100percent fit and leave Johnson out?
Why spit the dummy out on the radio and rant on about changes when not required?
Why haven't we got an adaptable plan b?
What has happened to tommy?
Where is all the B****Y money going?

My team for Saturday

Tommy
Dave
Evo
Pizza
Jones
Boco
Ryan
Morsy
Clucas
Johnson
Doyle

Players to bring on O'shea, banks, Gardner

Serious serious questions have to be asked about all this tinkering and why?

With you 100% on this one & especially the line up - which should have been our line up 3 games ago when he wanted to tighten up - because Boco offers that.

#24 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

hilly81, on 28 October 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

The biggest tactical error PC has made is breaking the Morsy Ryan partnership.

Fully agree with this. This is the only game I'll see before I go back to Stockholm.

Before I left for Sweden, Sammy and Jimmy were the catalysts for everything we did well. Defensively, one pressed whilst the other added balance and support to the back four. They broke up play and were the easy outlet for 2-touch football to switch play and counter. Jimmy allowed Sammy to join in, and covered Tendayi and Jonesy as they overlapped upfield. In attack, they were always there to do the same, providing the extra man and retaining possession.

My coaching pals who watched the games with me kept repeating 3 words: rhythm, tempo and fluency.

Watching Gobern in there was hugely disappointing. He seemed unfit or injured (Calvin Plummer's Socks - another strange gait or playing whilst crocked?), and looked more than a yard off the pace. He didn't do what Jimmy does when alongside Sammy (although I don't know if he's playing to orders) and it's hugely noticeable...and disruptive to the team. I thought I was watching Carlton Palmer's 21st century clone. Win the ball, ponder on it, pass it to get rid of it more than to penetrate (although he did ping a few nice cross-field balls) - but served to slow the play down to allow Swindon to form the square that Bonnyman refers to in his OP.

I was sat near the dug-out and kept hearing the gaffer mention 2 touches/play quick, etc. but it happened much less than before. Those 3 words were what we only saw some of the time...that's not most of the time, or nearly all the time as I saw at the start of the season. So, if it's a case of 'come back to what you know' then Jimmy and Sammy should be reinstated in front of the back 4. Then it's a shoot-out between DJ, Jay O, and Ollie for filling the hole behind Doyle.

With Boli on the bench you still have the wide cover for either wing (he's got nice feet from what I saw tonight). I'd rather see Gobern learn (very quickly!) what's required of him in that role by watching Jimmy and Sammy in tandem before coming on from the bench. The problem is, what's the terms of his loan - does he have play in every game from the start? Much like we might ask of Armand...

Having read the other threads about crosses and not attacking them, I wonder if that's why Clucas and Gardner switch wings? If we're not flooding the box for the cross (Realistically only Doyle there, with the other winger at the far post and the player in the hole arriving late), is that why we want them to come inside and work the one-touch play in and around the box? If the fullbacks are overlapping, we should be able to at least one in the box or the edge, as Gobern plus 2 defenders will be keeping it 3 on 2 at the back. It gives flexibility in the attack, but the players have to be switched on all the time to react.

Still, a great game to watch. Credit to Swindon, though - there are worse ways to play away from home and get a result.

#25 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

bonnyman, on 28 October 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Cook simply had to change the system to get us back into the game and all he did was change the personal, poor poor tactical analysis from the management but fair play to Swindon who were a superb better side than us .

So, what should he have done?.

It's simple. They are a better team with better players. Kasim and Turnbull exceptional. Perfect away tactics. Play out from the goalie. Draw our men forrad. Break like lightning into space. You can only do that with quality players and a very large budget.

It was a bit of a shame they scored when we were actually on top, but I don't think heads dropped. We kept trying valiantly. Sometimes, you have just got to give the opposition credit.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#26 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:29 AM

dim view, on 29 October 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

It's simple. They are a better team with better players. Kasim and Turnbull exceptional. Perfect away tactics. Play out from the goalie. Draw our men forrad. Break like lightning into space. You can only do that with quality players and a very large budget.

It was a bit of a shame they scored when we were actually on top, but I don't think heads dropped. We kept trying valiantly. Sometimes, you have just got to give the opposition credit.

I did they were superb but we should have narrowed the gap between jones and Gardner maybe gone 4411 and played Gardner behind doyle so he did not have to chase back cook has shoved all his eggs in one basket though far too many similar players he is stuck with 4231 .
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#27 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

SORRY DIM MINUS GIVEN BY MISTAKE. Swindon will be at least top six and have a good chance of automatic.

#28 User is offline   Radders 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

SpireiteFitzy, on 28 October 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

It is strange. You can't have Morsy and Gobern on the pitch at the same time. Playing them 2 and Ryan gives us no attacking flair behind Doyle, and its not like we 're short of it with Banks and O'Shea sitting on the bench. Gotta give Jay O a shot against Yeovil and drop Gobern and put our cm back how it was.

Couldn't agree more. O'shea started against sheff u and was doing ok till he was subbed - but we need some flair in the side and we aren't going to get that from Gardener and Banks. By the way - did Banks acyually have a kick when he came on?

#29 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:54 AM

Radders, on 29 October 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

Couldn't agree more. O'shea started against sheff u and was doing ok till he was subbed - but we need some flair in the side and we aren't going to get that from Gardener and Banks. By the way - did Banks acyually have a kick when he came on?

No attacking flair from Gardener? ...what game were you watching?

#30 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

LosMillonarios, on 28 October 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

How can we sign a centre mid then?

#31 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

bonnyman, on 28 October 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

After their first goal cook must have realised that our system was never going to get anything out of possesion Swindon went compact and formed a square so we just went wide this ended up with Swindon saying thank you very much you keep going out there and we will let our 3 centre halves soak it up.On the attack their no 3 must have been singing bring me sunshine he slotted into the biggest gap ever between Gardner and jones and clicked his heels he could not be marked as our system does not cover that area of the pitch.Jimmy ryan was like a fish out of water he hasn't got the explosive pace to get upto the front man .Cook simply had to change the system to get us back into the game and all he did was change the personal, poor poor tactical analysis from the management but fair play to Swindon who were a superb better side than us .

Bang on. Cook messed up big time.

#32 User is offline   STFC 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hi guys, I'm sure you are still licking your wounds after last night but I felt compelled to reply to this post.

Firstly, I have read some of your board this morning and what a pleasure it is to read intelligent posts giving us (Swindon) some credit for last night. Ironically we weren't very good away from home last season and at one stage played with a 4-6-0 formation to try and not lose. Chalk and cheese this season, our away form has been excellent. I hope that you turn it around and can push on towards the play-offs. Its not a brilliant league 1 this season, so why not?

Anyway, my point is more about the very large budget. Our wage budget this season we have been told is around 1.8 million, well down on when PDC was in charge. We have a very small, young squad and rely on free transfers and young loanees from the Premiership. Agree that the players we have are quality, but if we have an injury crisis, we are basically screwed. Some of the football we have played recently has been very easy on the eye and we are reaping the rewards currently. Unfortunately despite our good league performances, we are still only averaging around 7,000. I think if we are to push on this season the people of Swindon need to come out and support the team and Lee Power might be able to add more quality to the squad in January, as well as keep Kasim, Byrne, Luongo and Nathan Thompson who are very salable assets.

I was quite fearful of playing you last night, from the highlights this season you have been excellent, Doyle had been on fire, and the guy on loan from Villa had been the ammunition for him. When I saw Gary Roberts wasn't fit, I breathed a huge sigh of relief as he would have been odds on to score!

Good luck for the rest of the season Spireites.

#33 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

STFC, on 29 October 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Hi guys, I'm sure you are still licking your wounds after last night but I felt compelled to reply to this post.

Firstly, I have read some of your board this morning and what a pleasure it is to read intelligent posts giving us (Swindon) some credit for last night. Ironically we weren't very good away from home last season and at one stage played with a 4-6-0 formation to try and not lose. Chalk and cheese this season, our away form has been excellent. I hope that you turn it around and can push on towards the play-offs. Its not a brilliant league 1 this season, so why not?

Anyway, my point is more about the very large budget. Our wage budget this season we have been told is around 1.8 million, well down on when PDC was in charge. We have a very small, young squad and rely on free transfers and young loanees from the Premiership. Agree that the players we have are quality, but if we have an injury crisis, we are basically screwed. Some of the football we have played recently has been very easy on the eye and we are reaping the rewards currently. Unfortunately despite our good league performances, we are still only averaging around 7,000. I think if we are to push on this season the people of Swindon need to come out and support the team and Lee Power might be able to add more quality to the squad in January, as well as keep Kasim, Byrne, Luongo and Nathan Thompson who are very salable assets.

I was quite fearful of playing you last night, from the highlights this season you have been excellent, Doyle had been on fire, and the guy on loan from Villa had been the ammunition for him. When I saw Gary Roberts wasn't fit, I breathed a huge sigh of relief as he would have been odds on to score!

Good luck for the rest of the season Spireites.

I will bet good money nathan byrne has never been gifted so much space as he found last night we allowed him to look like a world beater and our management failed to resolve it, tactically your manager was superb and it ws refreshing to see 3 at the back , we could never do that as our defenders are not good enough footballers, good luck on the season you did a proper number on us.

#34 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

Yep, definitely shut those people who said 3 at the back wasn't an option, I think cartman was one :P (sorry mate)

Was refreshing to see how comfortable their lads were with the ball at their feet at the back. Hope they do well this season.

#35 User is offline   STFC 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

bonnyman, on 29 October 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I will bet good money nathan byrne has never been gifted so much space as he found last night we allowed him to look like a world beater and our management failed to resolve it, tactically your manager was superb and it ws refreshing to see 3 at the back , we could never do that as our defenders are not good enough footballers, good luck on the season you did a proper number on us.

Thanks bonnyman.

Byrne has been a revelation at wingback this season after being under par last season played at LB. He's been moved to attacking WB this season and give him space and he'll destroy you! You aren't the first team that has said that Byrne has caused havoc this season to be fair.

#36 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Exharboroughspireite, on 29 October 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

How can we sign a centre mid then?

Who knows how much we are paying him, Huddersfield clearly want rid. Any striker we get in will have to be on the cheap and probably will be no better than armand.

#37 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Tylerdurdencfc, on 28 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

It's not the first time I've said this but cook hasn't got the ability tactically to change things during a match, he makes weird substitutions, unnecessary switches in formation and baffles the fans so imagine the players. I've said this last season and I'll say it again, his tactical ability isn't up to scratch, put him against a manager with some tactical prowess and see him get his bottom wiped.

There wasn't any reason to change it during the Oldham game, then he goes on record about big changes and has messed up the last three games completely. Play your strongest team end of.

The problem now is the players haven't got a settled side or settled positions and it shows in the lack of confidence.

A few questions to ask....

Why leave Johnson out of the starting line up for the last three games ?
Why sign a defensive midfielder and break up morsy and Ryan partnership?
What has boco done wrong? He won balls in the air as an outlet, contributed a few goals and provided cover defensively on the right.
Why only have one striker?
Why sign numerous midfielders in the same position then moan they all can't play or both can't play together?
Why play a player that isn't 100percent fit and leave Johnson out?
Why spit the dummy out on the radio and rant on about changes when not required?
Why haven't we got an adaptable plan b?
What has happened to tommy?
Where is all the B****Y money going?

My team for Saturday

Tommy
Dave
Evo
Pizza
Jones
Boco
Ryan
Morsy
Clucas
Johnson
Doyle

Players to bring on O'shea, banks, Gardner

Serious serious questions have to be asked about all this tinkering and why?

Agree with the team, except it will have to be Raglan rather than Evatt as he'll be suspended

Don't think that will be the team Cook will select. I reckon he'll continue with his experiment as he won't want to be proved wrong about the exclusion of Johnson

This post has been edited by azul: 29 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#38 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

bonnyman, on 29 October 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

And he did that thinking we played 442 as default
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#39 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

LosMillonarios, on 28 October 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

We can afford a loan midfielder when we've got plenty, so why not use that wage on a striker on loan

#40 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

azul, on 29 October 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

And he did that thinking we played 442 as default

Explain you have lost me?

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +