• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 08 November 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

Beckham, Rooney, Scholes, Rio, Kane,

Honourable mentions

Cole Lamps Terry Gerrard Trips Mcguire

Whenever I feel down I'll remind myself that someone thought that Trippier and Maguire were better players than Sterling :-)

I presume you meant Joe Cole btw?

#82 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 09 November 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Thanks for your time

You think i don’t think he’s any good because he’s black don’t you?

No you’re just easily lead

#83 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:16 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 09 November 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

Whenever I feel down I'll remind myself that someone thought that Trippier and Maguire were better players than Sterling :-)

I presume you meant Joe Cole btw?

Did you watch the World Cup at all?
JRID

#84 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 09 November 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

Did you watch the World Cup at all?

Do you understand football at all?

#85 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

You think Sterling was better than Trips or Mcguire in the World Cup?

This could get interesting
JRID

#86 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 08 November 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

Just typical Sterlers

He’s just so bad it’s laughable

What's interesting is the stupidity of this post not the World Cup

#87 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

A guy who has worked with players at Barca and City disagrees with you :-

Man City director of football Txiki Begiristain:

"Raheem has improved dramatically in the past two seasons and is now one of the Premier League’s best attacking players. He’s quick, strong and excellent in front of goal – everything a modern-day forward needs to excel."

#88 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

We had all this with John Barnes.

Outstanding in a Liverpool shirt yet could never quite replicate that form for England.

Meaning bottom feeders singled him out in a way they never singled out similarly struggling white players.

Echoes of which were witnessed from the usual suspects pre-World Cup just 'cos Sterling got a tat'.

For what it's worth I've found RS teeth grindingly frustrating. Time, time and time again he tries to run through rather than 'round opponents and has missed some pretty simple chances. But he's on the teamsheet of a Man City manager who could easily replace him. A Man City manager who clearly knows his stuff. And being a patriot I'll celebrate a goal from Sterling in the same way I'll celebrate goals from any other Englishman.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 09 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#89 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:54 PM

MDCCCLXVI said:

1541790144[/url]' post='1429534']
We had all this with John Barnes.

Outstanding in a Liverpool shirt yet could never quite replicate that form for England.

Meaning bottom feeders singled him out in a way they never singled out similarly struggling white players.

Echoes of which were witnessed from the usual suspects pre-World Cup just 'cos Sterling got a tat'.

For what it's worth I've found RS teeth grindingly frustrating. Time, time and time again he tries to run through rather than 'round opponents and has missed some pretty simple chances. But he's on the teamsheet of a Man City manager who could easily replace him. A Man City manager who clearly knows his stuff. And being a patriot I'll celebrate a goal from Sterling in the same way I'll celebrate goals from any other Englishman.

Trevor Steven, Neil hodge, Geoff Thomas among others might say race has nothing to do with club form, not being replicated at international level, and the stick you get from it.

I don’t think race has anything to do with Barnes international career, in the same way race had nothing to do with him being a garbage manager.

Why folk look to race in this way amazes me. It shouldn’t be an issue, so why ok to make it one. Let’s just look at the merits of each player (man) and judge accordingly. Is that to much to ask?
A new hope.

#90 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

Search and Destroy said:

1541784505[/url]' post='1429522']
You think Sterling was better than Trips or Mcguire in the World Cup?

This could get interesting

Interesting question this. Would sterling be “better” in a Spain side? Would he get in a Spain side?

Would trippier get in a Spain side?

Would Maguire get in a Spain side?

Honestly, with better players, would. England’s sterling would look better, and would he get in a side with better players where his pace could actually be a threat. Stick him in a side of bog standard English players, he looks bog standard?

Interesting to note that all of England’s best players (IMO) have recently been defenders or defensive players, and recent Spain win apart all goals come from set ieces sort of. Sets up who ooks good and who doesn’t.

Does that, and England’s limitations explains sterling’s international limitations better, rather just an unitellectual newspaper driven he’s **** because he’s black/your only saying he’s **** because he’s black (note oversimplification)?

That’s how I see it anyway.
A new hope.

#91 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:18 PM

MDCCCLXVI said:

1541790144[/url]"]1541790144[/url]' post='[url="tel:[url="tel:1429534"]1429534[/url]"]1429534[/url]']We had all this with John Barnes.Outstanding in a Liverpool shirt yet could never quite replicate that form for England. Meaning bottom feeders singled him out in a way they never singled out similarly struggling white players.Echoes of which were witnessed from the usual suspects pre-World Cup just 'cos Sterling got a tat'. For what it's worth I've found RS teeth grindingly frustrating. Time, time and time again he tries to run through rather than 'round opponents and has missed some pretty simple chances. But he's on the teamsheet of a Man City manager who could easily replace him. A Man City manager who clearly knows his stuff. And being a patriot I'll celebrate a goal from Sterling in the same way I'll celebrate goals from any other Englishman.
Too late to edit, but you could easily argue John Barnes suffered from the same situation that Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle also endured. I guess it’s also because they were black?

This post has been edited by DEATH: 09 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

A new hope.

#92 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:25 PM

View PostDEATH, on 09 November 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

Trevor Steven, Neil hodge, Geoff Thomas among others might say race has nothing to do with club form, not being replicated at international level, and the stick you get from it.

I don’t think race has anything to do with Barnes international career, in the same way race had nothing to do with him being a garbage manager.

Why folk look to race in this way amazes me. It shouldn’t be an issue, so why ok to make it one. Let’s just look at the merits of each player (man) and judge accordingly. Is that to much to ask?

That's how I see it.
These go to eleven.

#93 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

Those step overs, wow
JRID

#94 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Sterling had a very good World Cup and anyone who can't see that knows nothing about football and has been taken in by the witch hunt in the press

His pace and movement were integral to how Southgate had the team playing, he scared defenses and made space for others to capitalise on - the game against Sweden was the perfect example of this, where Sterling literally terrified a very strong and well drilled defense and pulled them all over the place

Yes, a few goals would have been good and would have made a very good world cup for him into an excellent one, he was certainly one of England's stand out performers yet idiots constantly criticised him because of what they read in the papers

#95 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostCartman, on 12 November 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

Sterling had a very good World Cup and anyone who can't see that knows nothing about football and has been taken in by the witch hunt in the press

His pace and movement were integral to how Southgate had the team playing, he scared defenses and made space for others to capitalise on - the game against Sweden was the perfect example of this, where Sterling literally terrified a very strong and well drilled defense and pulled them all over the place

Yes, a few goals would have been good and would have made a very good world cup for him into an excellent one, he was certainly one of England's stand out performers yet idiots constantly criticised him because of what they read in the papers

This is the correct answer

#96 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

This^

#97 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

To be fair he’s very quick and it’s easy to see why he causes confusion in the opposition defence

He hasn’t got a clue where he’s running himself so difficult for the defenders to work out what he’s up to
JRID

#98 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 12 November 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

To be fair he’s very quick and it’s easy to see why he causes confusion in the opposition defence

He hasn’t got a clue where he’s running himself so difficult for the defenders to work out what he’s up to

You know when everyone disagrees with you, had you considered it might just be that you're wrong?

#99 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

I thought I was the sheep 🐑 according to this thread earlier?
JRID

#100 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

Sterlers watch

Missed a sitter already
JRID

Share this topic:

• (40 Pages)
  • +