Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: If Cinemas And Pubs Are Re-Opening....... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If Cinemas And Pubs Are Re-Opening.......

#21 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 July 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

So at one fell swoop you'd limit an entire season's attendance to those buying season tickets, Dave? Two, maybe two and a half thousand tops?

No walk-ups or occasional punters just those prepared - or more importantly able - to find four hundred quid up front.

Countless loyal supporters locked out before we even start - and what about cup games?

Then an entire stand of people forced to take two weeks off work and/or away from their family for ninety minutes' football? How many are gonna take that risk?

You still haven't answered how the Club know who's cohabiting with who, either. Or how they police rule breakers. Or away fans turning up anyway. Or who gets their seat of choice and who doesn't. Meanwhile it's no good wishing there was a different crew in the Boardroom, face the question of what those already there should do.

Ideally they'd sit isolated amongst the fans in other stands - but do you honestly think that's gonna happen?

I do like the idea of being waited on, mind. You seem to've forgotten about no beer being drunk in pitch view, though. Are we all to become teetotal?

Nah mate, I know you like to live in a soft hued world at times but we only have to look at some of last weekends' pub scenes to see how Saturday afternoons might turn out. Like it or not football grounds simply aren't the same as cinemas. Worse still there's the threat of elitism, a select few in their usual seats amongst their usual companions yet those not part of an 'in crowd' having to like it or lump it.

Again, I fully understand and sympathise with regulars wanting a return. However until large gatherings can be deemed risk free that looks a long way off...

As said above Chris I can't see why an entire stand would have to take two weeks off work if someone tested positive.
East stand second class citizen.

#22 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostNitrous Oxide, on 07 July 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

Everybody leaving in an orderly procession sounds absolutely laughable. Never likely to happen. But the chances of contracting by short term exposure may hopefully have diminished considerably by then. Fingers crossed around my half full glass

If we go 3 down at any time during the second half the procession past those still seated would be fun when the mass exodus started

#23 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 08 July 2020 - 03:05 PM, said:

As said above Chris I can't see why an entire stand would have to take two weeks off work if someone tested positive.

They wouldn't and the way some people are reacting you'd be suprised if they left their house for the next 5 years. The media love to dramatise everything and some people are suckered in clearly with their sensationalism on here too.

Can't live in fear forever when things are going back to normal-ish (compared to the last 4 months) - we're being encouraged to book holidays, go to the pub, eat out, play cricket, go to the gym, have a haircut etc based on what they government are saying and I personally can't wait for some normality.

That normality involves going to watch the footy, seeing friends and having a beer and a day out. I could live without an away game for a season if needs be and can see why we'd limit visitors from out of Town to an extent but things are starting to change.

Leagues across Europe are planning for the new season with crowds, some countries have crowds back in at 25/50/100% so there is no reason why it can't be considered. The new season is over 2 months away, a lot can change.

This post has been edited by CFC91: 08 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

#24 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

View PostCFC91, on 08 July 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

They wouldn't and the way some people are reacting you'd be suprised if they left their house for the next 5 years. The media love to dramatise everything and some people are suckered in clearly with their sensationalism on here too.

Can't live in fear forever when things are going back to normal-ish (compared to the last 4 months) - we're being encouraged to book holidays, go to the pub, eat out, play cricket, go to the gym, have a haircut etc based on what they government are saying and I personally can't wait for some normality.

That normality involves going to watch the footy, seeing friends and having a beer and a day out. I could live without an away game for a season if needs be and can see why we'd limit visitors from out of Town to an extent but things are starting to change.

Leagues across Europe are planning for the new season with crowds, some countries have crowds back in at 25/50/100% so there is no reason why it can't be considered. The new season is over 2 months away, a lot can change.

Just for the record 126 people died of Covid yesterday.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#25 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:53 PM

View Postdtp, on 08 July 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

The biggest difference in my mind between cinemas and football grounds is that one is indoors and the other is outdoors and the various so-called experts consider it is safer being outdoors than indoors.

Not when you go through the concourse to your seat, or the toilets. Bearing in mind most people normally arrive at the ground at more or less the same time, and toilets are busiest just before the start of the game and at halftime.

Unless, you are not only allocated a seat but also a time to arrive at the stadium, and to go to the loo.

#26 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 July 2020 - 04:20 PM, said:

Died OF Covid or WITH Covid?

There is a distinct difference.

#27 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Let's hope we don't have to wait for a vaccine, and produce a doctor's slip at the turnstile to say we've been vaccinated.

#28 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:26 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 08 July 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

Not when you go through the concourse to your seat, or the toilets. Bearing in mind most people normally arrive at the ground at more or less the same time, and toilets are busiest just before the start of the game and at halftime.

Unless, you are not only allocated a seat but also a time to arrive at the stadium, and to go to the loo.

What happens if folk are given the choice?

If you are genuinely concerned, don’t go, if you are satisfied that safety measures are in place and not concerned then attend if you wish.

A bit like the pub. Or Cinema. Or museum.

There will be folk who love a beer in the boozer but choose not to go at the moment. They are given a choice to attend and given guidance on social distancing and so on and make a personal decision.

#29 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

Five people died on the roads yesterday.

Did you get in your car still today?

#30 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 08 July 2020 - 06:26 PM, said:

If you are genuinely concerned, don’t go, if you are satisfied that safety measures are in place and not concerned then attend if you wish.

There will be folk who love a beer in the boozer but choose not to go at the moment. They are given a choice to attend and given guidance on social distancing and so on and make a personal decision.

Except there is no choice to attend a sports event at the moment probably for the reasons some of us have set out. One day it will happen. When the number of cases has fallen much further.

#31 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 08 July 2020 - 06:26 PM, said:

Except there is no choice to attend a sports event at the moment probably for the reasons some of us have set out. One day it will happen. When the number of cases has fallen much further.

#32 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

Spurs find out tomorrow if they are to be allowed fans in for their 2 remaining games (20,000 approx).

The issue is who gets tickets as that’ll cause rows

#33 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 08 July 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

Spurs find out tomorrow if they are to be allowed fans in for their 2 remaining games (20,000 approx).

Simple solution - only allow walk ups!!!!!!!

#34 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 08 July 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

Have you got a link for this? Genuinely interested and not seen it mentioned anywhere. Ground holds 60,000 so they want to run at a third. Ambitious

#35 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:21 PM

Don’t quite get your point..other than indicating that things are improving slowly and things are rightly being thought about returning to normal.

As has been pointed out, there is risk in everything you do in life. If you don’t want to take that risk then don’t.

150 odd people have died in the Isle of Man TT, doesn’t stop hundreds competing and thousands watching every year.

This post has been edited by CFC91: 08 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

#36 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

View PostCFC91, on 08 July 2020 - 08:21 PM, said:

Don’t quite get your point..other than indicating that things are improving slowly and things are rightly being thought about returning to normal.

As has been pointed out, there is risk in everything you do in life. If you don’t want to take that risk then don’t.

150 odd people have died in the Isle of Man TT, doesn’t stop hundreds competing and thousands watching every year.

Regrading the daily numbers, taking into account the weekend low numbers and the following spikes, the seven day average is now around 94 deaths per day. Still an awful figure for all concerned and something that shouldn't be celebrated in any shape or form, but we have come a long way from the hundreds of deaths a day of a few weeks ago. Indeed the weekly average for the last two weeks shows cumulative deaths for the UK lower for the same periods of previous years suggesting that many of those who have died recently, Covid related, were already in the final stages of their lives. This is in no way shape or form a celebration of how the government has handled this disaster but a leaning into how, now, things have to try to return to some form of normality, in unison with common sense, i.e. Be sensible in your day to day lives, and if you think you genuinely have symptoms get a test!
East stand second class citizen.

#37 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:17 AM

The virus is still amongst us.

People are still dying.

Infact numbers are spiralling around the world.

There's still no vaccine or reliable treatment and our test, track and trace system is so useless the government refuse to publish stats.

And whilst fatality figures here are improving that's only because they've been so disgracefully high.

To put things in perspective more people passed in the UK yesterday than in NZ throughout the whole pandemic. More this week than the entire total in Greece. One of several nations still restricting us 'cos we're viewed the same as Trump's US abroad.

Give the public a choice? Well we saw how that worked out outside pubs last weekend. At resorts and beaches. Every time there's been a garbled lockdown lift.

But anyway, all this is moot. Even a PM who loves telling punters what they wanna hear knows large crowds (stop giggling at the back) would be an even worse catastrophe than he's already overseen.

As Kenny Dalgliesh quite rightly quoted 'Someone once said football's more important than life and death. He was wrong'...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 09 July 2020 - 06:20 AM

#38 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 July 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

So at one fell swoop you'd limit an entire season's attendance to those buying season tickets, Dave? Two, maybe two and a half thousand tops?

No walk-ups or occasional punters just those prepared - or more importantly able - to find four hundred quid up front.

Countless loyal supporters locked out before we even start - and what about cup games?

Then an entire stand of people forced to take two weeks off work and/or away from their family for ninety minutes' football? How many are gonna take that risk?

You still haven't answered how the Club know who's cohabiting with who, either. Or how they police rule breakers. Or away fans turning up anyway. Or who gets their seat of choice and who doesn't. Meanwhile it's no good wishing there was a different crew in the Boardroom, face the question of what those already there should do.

Ideally they'd sit isolated amongst the fans in other stands - but do you honestly think that's gonna happen?

I do like the idea of being waited on, mind. You seem to've forgotten about no beer being drunk in pitch view, though. Are we all to become teetotal?

Nah mate, I know you like to live in a soft hued world at times but we only have to look at some of last weekends' pub scenes to see how Saturday afternoons might turn out. Like it or not football grounds simply aren't the same as cinemas. Worse still there's the threat of elitism, a select few in their usual seats amongst their usual companions yet those not part of an 'in crowd' having to like it or lump it.

Again, I fully understand and sympathise with regulars wanting a return. However until large gatherings can be deemed risk free that looks a long way off...

I really hope your livelihood hasn't been permanently undermined by the pandemic, but, on the evidence of your recent posts you could always resort to stand-up comedy (on-line of course). The one about us having 'countless loyal fans' is my favourite. I've just not noticed the jampacked stands and thousands locked outside desperate to get in over the past few years. Also, I hadn't realised that managing to scrape together enough of my pension to buy a season ticket, had elevated me to the rank of 'privileged few'! I feel so guilty that I promise to definitely give my chauffeur a pay rise.

#39 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

View Postsophocles, on 09 July 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

I really hope your livelihood hasn't been permanently undermined by the pandemic, but, on the evidence of your recent posts you could always resort to stand-up comedy (on-line of course). The one about us having 'countless loyal fans' is my favourite. I've just not noticed the jampacked stands and thousands locked outside desperate to get in over the past few years. Also, I hadn't realised that managing to scrape together enough of my pension to buy a season ticket, had elevated me to the rank of 'privileged few'! I feel so guilty that I promise to definitely give my chauffeur a pay rise.

Okay, but stepping over what I'm sure are tongue-in-cheek jibes any chance of addressing the points?

How to allow whoever wants to turn up a safe seat? Something even approaching a 'normal' matchday? Without cronyistic double standards?

There've now been a number of threads punctuated by well meaning 'ifs', 'maybes', 'perhaps' and 'hopefullys' but we're yet to see a credible solution...

#40 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 09 July 2020 - 06:17 AM, said:

The virus is still amongst us.

People are still dying.

Infact numbers are spiralling around the world.

There's still no vaccine or reliable treatment and our test, track and trace system is so useless the government refuse to publish stats.

And whilst fatality figures here are improving that's only because they've been so disgracefully high.

To put things in perspective more people passed in the UK yesterday than in NZ throughout the whole pandemic. More this week than the entire total in Greece. One of several nations still restricting us 'cos we're viewed the same as Trump's US abroad.

Give the public a choice? Well we saw how that worked out outside pubs last weekend. At resorts and beaches. Every time there's been a garbled lockdown lift.

But anyway, all this is moot. Even a PM who loves telling punters what they wanna hear knows large crowds (stop giggling at the back) would be an even worse catastrophe than he's already overseen.

As Kenny Dalgliesh quite rightly quoted 'Someone once said football's more important than life and death. He was wrong'...

Comparing the UK to NZ is not particularly appropriate as the former has a population some 13 times higher over a slightly smaller area whilst NZ's Capital has a population of circa 400,000 which is less than Sheffield's and no where near the near 9 million in London alone, nearly double the entire population of NZ. Then the race demographics of the UK are far more diverse than in NZ whose people are thinly scattered over numerous islands.

This post has been edited by dtp: 09 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users