Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Leeds Leeds Leeds - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leeds Leeds Leeds

#21 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

View PostFreddie, on 02 July 2020 - 07:38 PM, said:

The difference being that Davies was out of contract and had already signed for Southampton when the fee was negotiated. Cooper was still under contract and therefore we had a better bargaining position. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

That's a very h reply !
East stand second class citizen.

#22 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Freddie said:

1593718684[/url]' post='1522501']
The difference being that Davies was out of contract and had already signed for Southampton when the fee was negotiated. Cooper was still under contract and therefore we had a better bargaining position. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Correct. Saints offered a one off, take it or leave it deal for an almost out of contract player. There’s nothing really to debate. They held the cards, we had none. We took the only deal on the table because there really wasn’t an alternative.

It’s the Alan Birch thing all over again, isn’t it. Wolves never paid us etc etc. But the reality is we did, eventually receive £180k out of the £200k fee but the myth persists.
A new hope.

#23 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:57 PM

View PostDEATH, on 03 July 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

Correct. Saints offered a one off, take it or leave it deal for an almost out of contract player. There’s nothing really to debate. They held the cards, we had none. We took the only deal on the table because there really wasn’t an alternative.

It’s the Alan Birch thing all over again, isn’t it. Wolves never paid us etc etc. But the reality is we did, eventually receive £180k out of the £200k fee but the myth persists.

to be honest, not seeing blackburn going spend crazy 12mths later, i thought what we got for him was decent.

#24 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

mr. smith said:

1593802653[/url]' post='1522580']
to be honest, not seeing blackburn going spend crazy 12mths later, i thought what we got for him was decent.

At the time, for a player in his contract situation it was.

mr. smith said:

1593802653[/url]' post='1522580']

3 million for Alan shearer as crazy.

My word how do we describe top flight football now?

I realise your talking about £7.5 million for KD, but the shearer fee gives the transfer from town some context
A new hope.

#25 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

View PostDEATH, on 03 July 2020 - 07:31 PM, said:

At the time, for a player in his contract situation it was.

3 million for Alan shearer as crazy.

My word how do we describe top flight football now?

I realise your talking about £7.5 million for KD, but the shearer fee gives the transfer from town some context

But that must’ve been 5 or 6 years prior, transfer fees were spiralling out of control by the mid 90s (and still going!) so it’s difficult comparing one to the other so far apart.

#26 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 03 July 2020 - 10:46 PM, said:

But that must’ve been 5 or 6 years prior, transfer fees were spiralling out of control by the mid 90s (and still going!) so it’s difficult comparing one to the other so far apart.

Shearer went to Blackburn in 92. He went to Newcastle in 96 for a then world record fee of 15milliin

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users