Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: So The Next Time Someone Sneers At Greedy Millionaire Footballers... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So The Next Time Someone Sneers At Greedy Millionaire Footballers...

#61 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 19 June 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

I remember when I was a college lecturer and was there when the EMA payments were made to students. The amount of parents that were waiting for that money, so they could go straight to the off-licence, was astounding. I dealt with loads of kids who never saw a penny of it; straight on fags and booze.

It is a bit of a myth about poorer people spending all their cash on fags. According to the Government’s own stats (used to target audiences in no smoking campaigns) 71% of unemployed people don’t smoke. Looking at the c2de group who work in manual jobs 76% don’t smoke. Across the group most likely to be receiving free dinners about one in four smoke. Maybe the kids you taught were pulling your leg. Hope you didn’t give them any cash.

#62 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:34 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 19 June 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

I remember when I was a college lecturer and was there when the EMA payments were made to students. The amount of parents that were waiting for that money, so they could go straight to the off-licence, was astounding. I dealt with loads of kids who never saw a penny of it; straight on fags and booze.

How do you know they went straight to the off licence though?

#63 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

View PostBobby Darling, on 20 June 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

It is a bit of a myth about poorer people spending all their cash on fags. According to the Government’s own stats (used to target audiences in no smoking campaigns) 71% of unemployed people don’t smoke. Looking at the c2de group who work in manual jobs 76% don’t smoke. Across the group most likely to be receiving free dinners about one in four smoke. Maybe the kids you taught were pulling your leg. Hope you didn’t give them any cash.

But they are far more likely to smoke.
From the PHE report of 2018:
We are also seeing an ever-widening gap between people in routine and manual occupations and those in managerial and professional posts:
1 in 4 people in routine and manual occupations is a smoker compared to 1 in 10 in managerial and professional posts
The odds of smoking in the routine and manual group is more than twice that of other employed groups
People who are unemployed are almost twice as likely to smoke as those in work

#64 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

Benefit money going on fags is 80% being gifted back to the government in tax.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 20 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

#65 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:24 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 20 June 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

But they are far more likely to smoke.
From the PHE report of 2018:
We are also seeing an ever-widening gap between people in routine and manual occupations and those in managerial and professional posts:
1 in 4 people in routine and manual occupations is a smoker compared to 1 in 10 in managerial and professional posts
The odds of smoking in the routine and manual group is more than twice that of other employed groups
People who are unemployed are almost twice as likely to smoke as those in work

You’re right but that’s not the point. Most don’t smoke so the assertion that a large proportion of benefits are spent on fags is wrong. There are course examples that we could all quote. Nigel Farage, who is unemployed, spends a lot of his benefits on fags and actually boasts about it. Completely feckless. Apparently he used to spend a lot of time in pubs and has the full Sky package. (Though in fairness I think Aaron Banks pays for that. ) He’s a much better target for anger than your average working class mum. Unless of course you’re biased.

#66 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostBobby Darling, on 20 June 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

You’re right but that’s not the point. Most don’t smoke so the assertion that a large proportion of benefits are spent on fags is wrong. There are course examples that we could all quote. Nigel Farage, who is unemployed, spends a lot of his benefits on fags and actually boasts about it. Completely feckless. Apparently he used to spend a lot of time in pubs and has the full Sky package. (Though in fairness I think Aaron Banks pays for that. ) He’s a much better target for anger than your average working class mum. Unless of course you’re biased.

You're forgetting the seventy-plus grand pension Farage'll continue recieving from that EU he despises so much.

Pretty sure that'll mean a big 'fail' in any universal credit assessment...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#67 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 20 June 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

How do you know they went straight to the off licence though?

Because they told me. They'd come into my office to ask what could be done about it.

This was 2006 btw, Bobby....

#68 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

View PostMisnomer, on 21 June 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

Because they told me. They'd come into my office to ask what could be done about it.

This was 2006 btw, Bobby....

Ok- EMA in my time was always paid to Students accounts

#69 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:31 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 21 June 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

Ok- EMA in my time was always paid to Students accounts

And then given straight to the parent(s); some would go to the cash point with them as soon as it was in their account.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users