• Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

3 and 4 also

#22 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:23 PM

National League playing hard ball and want to continue but if not there will be no promotion or relegation out of leagues!

#23 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

View Postsixmilliondollardan, on 24 March 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

Non league steps 5-6 and presumably below cancelled (we're in step 1) so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

https://twitter.com/...476451288383488

Staveley in limbo waiting to see if they will be promoted to what I believe is their highest ever level

http://www.ncefl.org.uk/tables/long/

#24 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:17 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 24 March 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

National League playing hard ball and want to continue but if not there will be no promotion or relegation out of leagues!

Confirmation the lower leagues are waiting on the decision of the National League here.

https://www.betvicto...20-season-61678

We and other members club's are waiting with baited breath as the intended conference with member clubs didn't take place today, as the league board were still meeting

#25 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

FA have (for now) blocked EFL and National Lge from cancelling season

#26 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 24 March 2020 - 07:32 PM, said:

FA have (for now) blocked EFL and National Lge from cancelling season

It would seem the pressure from the National League and above is pressuring the EFL and consequently the Premier League to follow suit, I'd expect a decision in the next day or so

#27 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

Strange that all this is going on about something as unimportant as football. Just end the season
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#28 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:12 PM

View Postfishini, on 24 March 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Strange that all this is going on about something as unimportant as football. Just end the season

How is the question though

#29 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:14 PM

How is it unimportant? (And no hint of irony on a football forum)!
Thousands of jobs depend on it.
Millions watch it

#30 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 24 March 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

How is it unimportant? (And no hint of irony on a football forum)!
Thousands of jobs depend on it.
Millions watch it

Unimportant as in how the season finishes. The powers just need to make a decision.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#31 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

View Postmoondog, on 24 March 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

Staveley in limbo waiting to see if they will be promoted to what I believe is their highest ever level

http://www.ncefl.org.uk/tables/long/

I never twigged about them when I read it. There were signs they were running out of steam a little so it’d be very welcome I’m sure.

#32 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:55 PM

View Postmoondog, on 24 March 2020 - 08:12 PM, said:

How is the question though

Void it..it's that simple
East stand second class citizen.

#33 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:33 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 24 March 2020 - 08:55 PM, said:

Void it..it's that simple

Maybe at our level and below but the industry has to be consistent as there are no rules for this, the legal ramifications could drag on for years.

#34 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:46 AM

That is a very silly comment

Shall we just forget about it and not make a decision?
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#35 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:07 AM

View Postmoondog, on 24 March 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Confirmation the lower leagues are waiting on the decision of the National League here.

https://www.betvicto...20-season-61678

We and other members club's are waiting with baited breath as the intended conference with member clubs didn't take place today, as the league board were still meeting

Morning
Any idea when the conference is scheduled for?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#36 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

Today at 11

#37 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

View Postazul, on 25 March 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

That is a very silly comment

Shall we just forget about it and not make a decision?

A very big decision has been made about the Japanese Olympics - postponed until next year - done and dusted everybody knows where they stand.

The only decision the football authorities seem to be making is not to make a decision.

Seems to me their thoughts should be concentrated more on when next season starts. Make that decision and it determines the latest sensible date this season can finish. Now the big and mighty premiership clubs are always complaining about playing too many games for their highly inflated and extremely well paid squads so there needs to be a period allowed for pre-season preparation of 4 to 6 weeks. As such, if next season is to begin in the first week of September then pre-season needs to start between the middle and end of July. At the higher levels players contracts end on 30th June whilst at lower levels it can be 30th April. Therefor, it is illogical for this season to extend beyond the end of June for the top 4 divisions and the end of April for league 5 and below.

In my view, we are talking about a minimum of 12 weeks lock down in terms of mass gatherings so any games to be played would have to be behind closed doors for the clubs to be able to draw on the very TV rights which makes their players rich but not necessarily them. Barcelona, for instance, are concerned that with less income they can't afford to pay their millionaire players the wonga they have agreed in their contracts. Well tough luck, I say, these clubs should have managed their finances better and many of their players could live the rest of their lives without ever working again. Too much money has continually gone out of football into players and agents pockets. Going forward a way has to be found to keep a bigger percentage in the game and distributed throughout the various leagues and I would suggest a percentage levy on players wages to acheive this.

Having gone off tangent, if the current rules for social gatherings continue to be advised beyond the end of this first 3 weeks then players won't be able to train together or against each other either. So, at what point will they be able to compete on a level playing field to pardon the pun? Simple answer to me is - next season.

This then brings the real decision to be made by the football authorities. That of whether or not there should be any promotions or relegations this season. I would say not but it might be necessary to bring each league up to it's full quota of clubs to make up for the likes of Bury last season and others that might follow this. I don't agree with the premiership expanding by 2 clubs as has been muted to accommodate the overspending Leeds and West Brom. They already moan about playing too many games anyway and what would happen the following season - would 2 more teams be relegated than promoted to return to the original quota?

To be realistic shouldn't the football authorities be more concerned about saving our beloved clubs so that they are ready for next season whenever it is safe to start than continuing with this season which will be the subject of unfair competition whichever way you look at it even if decisions are taken for it to continue?

#38 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

View Postdtp, on 25 March 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

A very big decision has been made about the Japanese Olympics - postponed until next year - done and dusted everybody knows where they stand.

The only decision the football authorities seem to be making is not to make a decision.

Seems to me their thoughts should be concentrated more on when next season starts. Make that decision and it determines the latest sensible date this season can finish. Now the big and mighty premiership clubs are always complaining about playing too many games for their highly inflated and extremely well paid squads so there needs to be a period allowed for pre-season preparation of 4 to 6 weeks. As such, if next season is to begin in the first week of September then pre-season needs to start between the middle and end of July. At the higher levels players contracts end on 30th June whilst at lower levels it can be 30th April. Therefor, it is illogical for this season to extend beyond the end of June for the top 4 divisions and the end of April for league 5 and below.

In my view, we are talking about a minimum of 12 weeks lock down in terms of mass gatherings so any games to be played would have to be behind closed doors for the clubs to be able to draw on the very TV rights which makes their players rich but not necessarily them. Barcelona, for instance, are concerned that with less income they can't afford to pay their millionaire players the wonga they have agreed in their contracts. Well tough luck, I say, these clubs should have managed their finances better and many of their players could live the rest of their lives without ever working again. Too much money has continually gone out of football into players and agents pockets. Going forward a way has to be found to keep a bigger percentage in the game and distributed throughout the various leagues and I would suggest a percentage levy on players wages to acheive this.

Having gone off tangent, if the current rules for social gatherings continue to be advised beyond the end of this first 3 weeks then players won't be able to train together or against each other either. So, at what point will they be able to compete on a level playing field to pardon the pun? Simple answer to me is - next season.

This then brings the real decision to be made by the football authorities. That of whether or not there should be any promotions or relegations this season. I would say not but it might be necessary to bring each league up to it's full quota of clubs to make up for the likes of Bury last season and others that might follow this. I don't agree with the premiership expanding by 2 clubs as has been muted to accommodate the overspending Leeds and West Brom. They already moan about playing too many games anyway and what would happen the following season - would 2 more teams be relegated than promoted to return to the original quota?

To be realistic shouldn't the football authorities be more concerned about saving our beloved clubs so that they are ready for next season whenever it is safe to start than continuing with this season which will be the subject of unfair competition whichever way you look at it even if decisions are taken for it to continue?

Excellent well considered post.

The competition started as a fixed competition unless it is completed, it should be deemed null and void, tough on some but that's life. Perhaps that well worn cliche used after a defeat should apply "we put it behind us and go again"

Oh and (perhaps just for devilment) when you refer to people taking money out of the game I would have sneaked incompetent coaches in there.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#39 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

View Postdtp, on 25 March 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

The dithering stems from the top.

For example the leagues at tier 7 have decided to terminate the season but have to wait to see what the NL do. I would suggest the NL can't decide until the EFL decides who can't decide until the prem decides (re: the approach to promotion and relegation). It would probably also be helpful if all leagues took the same approach to calculating league standings (or to null and void) to minimise arguments

I would hope th FA would make the final call but all the power is with the Prem these days. The FA have to ratify the decisions but they don't seem to be driving.

I think most agree that the season should be terminated and there's probably more disagreement about how. As you say they should be worrying about next season and should be thinking about contingencies.

To Fishni's point, football may be well down the list of concerns but it still matters and it certainly will do after these dire times end

This post has been edited by azul: 25 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#40 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:36 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 25 March 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Excellent well considered post.

The competition started as a fixed competition unless it is completed, it should be deemed null and void, tough on some but that's life. Perhaps that well worn cliche used after a defeat should apply "we put it behind us and go again"

Oh and (perhaps just for devilment) when you refer to people taking money out of the game I would have sneaked incompetent coaches in there.

Has a coach kicked over your bins in a past life or something?

Share this topic:

• (34 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users