Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Drew Talbot Retires - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drew Talbot Retires

#21 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

Lovely words. Top man.

#22 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

Nice to see the respect is mutual between him and Spireites. Best of luck Drew.
East stand second class citizen.

#23 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:32 PM

If we have 11 players on the pitch that give 50% of what he gave week in week out we will **** this league

When he was fit boy he flew up and down that wing

Fond memories of a club man through and through

#24 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

2 x League 2 winner
1 x JPT winner

Im 99% sure that alongside Ernie and Tommy, Drew's one of only 3 players to win 3 major trophies with Town.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#25 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:56 AM

Great words. All the best Drew. Proper Town legend

#26 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:06 AM

All the best Drew in wherever your career path now takes you.
It has been a pleasure to watch you in a Blue shirt
Have passport will travel

#27 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

I’m happy to admit those words from drew got to me, great servant to the club and one who deserves all the plaudits he will get.

#28 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

An excellent servant to the club, Rarely have we seen such a versatile player in our shirt, skilful, brave, pacey, could head a ball and knew how to shoot. Excellent words from Drew, unusual nowadays to read of a player’s affinity to a club in such glowing terms.
Good luck Drew with whatever you will do in the future.

#29 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the memories Drew, a great servant. I'll be at the testimonial....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#30 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

Top man. Class act. I always thought I got my money's worth watching Drew. I'm delighted to hear he's been awarded a testimonial. Well deserved.

I'll always remember the penalty he stuck away at Oldham in Johnstone's Trophy Semi-Final.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XGG6Er3gqPc

From the Oldham end.

https://www.youtube....h?v=tyBpi2643Kk

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 12 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

#31 User is offline   Scooby Doo 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostStockholm Spireite, on 11 July 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

Statement from Drew here (insert link thingy not working for me):

https://www.chesterf...dLeSsx7YW1_WqNo

It is with a heavy heart that today confirms my retirement from professional football. Unfortunately, after spending the summer trying desperately to overcome the knee problem that ended my season early, it wasn’t to be and I have had to think of the bigger picture, considering my quality of life for the future going forward.

This is not a decision that has been easy to accept, quite the opposite. I consider myself extremely fortunate, however, to have had the opportunity to live out my boyhood dream of playing professional football for 14 seasons.

Throughout those years, I have been privileged enough to have represented six wonderful clubs - Sheffield Wednesday, Scunthorpe United, Luton Town, Chesterfield, Plymouth Argyle and Portsmouth - where I have enjoyed many successes and created memories I will cherish for a lifetime!

As I reflect on my career, I would like to place on record my thanks for the support I have received from clubs, managers, backroom staff, colleagues, friends, family and fans from all over the country.

To the clubs and managers I have represented: Thank you for welcoming me into your community - allowing me to do what I love, week in, week out, feeling trusted and supported during the good and the bad.

To the players I have had the privilege of playing alongside: It has been a pleasure to share a dressing room with you all. I have made some lifelong friends.

A massive thank you to my family, whose unwavering support over the years has allowed me to fulfil my boyhood dream of being a professional footballer, whilst keeping me grounded and humble.

And finally, to the mighty Spireites, my football family, the place that feels like home: It has been a complete pleasure to have given over nine years of service to this wonderful club. Over the years, together, we have experienced our fair share of low times. These have, however, been outweighed by the most incredible highs. There has never been a day where I haven’t felt welcomed, supported or valued and for that I am truly grateful!

I believe I played some of my best football in a Chesterfield shirt and to accrue over 300 appearances, while captaining such a historic club, is an honour that I cannot put into words. This is a special club, a club with a special place in my heart, a club my children now support!

From the playing staff - to the staff behind the scenes that are around the club on a daily basis - you are awesome! I know it is an old cliche but I have truly made friends for life and I cannot thank each and every one of you individually for the help, guidance and kindness you have given me. It was never unnoticed or taken for granted.

Finally, to the Spireites fans: Your support - whether it be at home or away - has always been second to none. From the Wembley trips, to Cheltenham away on a freezing cold Tuesday night, you were there. During our unbeaten runs, sitting pretty at the top of League Two, to our painstaking losing streak at the bottom, you were there. Without you guys, we couldn’t do what we do and your support means the world!

It’s going to be strange not doing what I love, day in, day out, but I will now be able to see the game in a totally different light, as a fan, with my children and experience the emotions you fans have felt over the years.

Thanks for everything,

Drew

What a fantastic servant to the club Drew has been, it's just a shame that due to his injuries it has been cut short without them he could have made many more appearances. I will always look upon him as a Spireite legend along with many others former players. I am chuffed to bits he has been awarded a testimonial, he definitely deserves one. Hopefully he will be seen regularly at the Proact either supporting with his family or in a hospitality role.

All the best Drew.
Top man.

This post has been edited by Scooby Doo: 12 July 2019 - 11:38 AM

Onwards & Upwards!

#32 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

What a well written article. It shows clearly how much he loves this club and the pain of having to give up his playing career. A player who always gave 100% even though sometimes he was not physically up to it. Loyalty like that is rightly rewarded with a testimonial and I hope all fans will support it. Good luck Drew with whatever path you take in the future.

#33 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

Best wishes to you and your family, Drew and good luck with the next chapter in your life.

#34 User is offline   erniemossity 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Beer, town, decent boozers

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

Every now and then a player comes along who makes a real impact with fans both on and off the pitch. Unfortunately these players are becoming rarer. But Drew is one of those that earns the title of legend. It’s obvious from his statement how he loves the club and fans, well Drew...the feelings are reciprocated. I hope you read this board and bathe in the warm glow of accolades and genuine love that we as fans have for you.
You’ll always be welcome at the ground in whatever guise you return as, you deserve everything that is good about CFC. We’ll miss your commitment more than anything, and as someone else mentioned, my abiding memory will be how you looked after the defeat aft Forest Green last season that sent us down. You looked like a fan, and that means a lot.

All the best for the future sir, and thanks for the good times.

#35 User is offline   Rudeboy spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:09 PM

Fantastic words from a fantastic man and player, sincere best wishes for whatever you do next.

#36 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostStockholm Spireite, on 11 July 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

Statement from Drew here (insert link thingy not working for me):

https://www.chesterf...dLeSsx7YW1_WqNo

It is with a heavy heart that today confirms my retirement from professional football. Unfortunately, after spending the summer trying desperately to overcome the knee problem that ended my season early, it wasn’t to be and I have had to think of the bigger picture, considering my quality of life for the future going forward.

This is not a decision that has been easy to accept, quite the opposite. I consider myself extremely fortunate, however, to have had the opportunity to live out my boyhood dream of playing professional football for 14 seasons.

Throughout those years, I have been privileged enough to have represented six wonderful clubs - Sheffield Wednesday, Scunthorpe United, Luton Town, Chesterfield, Plymouth Argyle and Portsmouth - where I have enjoyed many successes and created memories I will cherish for a lifetime!

As I reflect on my career, I would like to place on record my thanks for the support I have received from clubs, managers, backroom staff, colleagues, friends, family and fans from all over the country.

To the clubs and managers I have represented: Thank you for welcoming me into your community - allowing me to do what I love, week in, week out, feeling trusted and supported during the good and the bad.

To the players I have had the privilege of playing alongside: It has been a pleasure to share a dressing room with you all. I have made some lifelong friends.

A massive thank you to my family, whose unwavering support over the years has allowed me to fulfil my boyhood dream of being a professional footballer, whilst keeping me grounded and humble.

And finally, to the mighty Spireites, my football family, the place that feels like home: It has been a complete pleasure to have given over nine years of service to this wonderful club. Over the years, together, we have experienced our fair share of low times. These have, however, been outweighed by the most incredible highs. There has never been a day where I haven’t felt welcomed, supported or valued and for that I am truly grateful!

I believe I played some of my best football in a Chesterfield shirt and to accrue over 300 appearances, while captaining such a historic club, is an honour that I cannot put into words. This is a special club, a club with a special place in my heart, a club my children now support!

From the playing staff - to the staff behind the scenes that are around the club on a daily basis - you are awesome! I know it is an old cliche but I have truly made friends for life and I cannot thank each and every one of you individually for the help, guidance and kindness you have given me. It was never unnoticed or taken for granted.

Finally, to the Spireites fans: Your support - whether it be at home or away - has always been second to none. From the Wembley trips, to Cheltenham away on a freezing cold Tuesday night, you were there. During our unbeaten runs, sitting pretty at the top of League Two, to our painstaking losing streak at the bottom, you were there. Without you guys, we couldn’t do what we do and your support means the world!

It’s going to be strange not doing what I love, day in, day out, but I will now be able to see the game in a totally different light, as a fan, with my children and experience the emotions you fans have felt over the years.

Thanks for everything,

Drew

Football is full of self serving and cynical folk offering empty platitudes.

However a Drew Talbot as honest off the field as he was on it clearly means every word of this.

The term 'unsung hero' has never been more appropriate. He was there throughout our ten year journey from mid-table fourth tier mediocrity - where he so stood out in an admittedly modest squad - to the brink of our long held holy grail of the second tier.

And all the time he was 'Mr Reliable', our go-to replacement should a left back be required. Or a right back. Or a front man. Or, well, just about anything other than pulling on the gloves (he didn't...did he?).

Even if it was that very versatility which meant he never really attained the legendary status of a, say, David Reeves, Steve Blatherwick, 'Nozzer' Norris or, for us old 'uns, Alan Birch.

Yet none of them can boast his appearances or medals in the blue and white of Town.

I sincerely hope a more than welcome Drew Talbot will become as regular in the stands as he was on the pitch.

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 12 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#37 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

Well I'm not sure it's a blessing for the kids if you live in Barnsley(?) and bring them up to support Chesterfield but it's great to hear and I am sure his faith will be repaid eventually because we WILL be good again!

#38 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

Drew Talbot. 100 per cent.

If he can pass on that passion in a future role here, all the better. Proper team player.

#39 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

I am assuming Ambassador means he will be in the lounges on match days entertaining the VIPs. If that is the case they may just have sorted my attendance at a couple of matches this season - Drew would be worth the match ticket, although based on last season I may stay indoors and keep chatting!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#40 User is offline   Spitfire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football,love to read,like being in my garden,and as my profile picture and name suggests,i love aircraft and the RAF,especially the beautiful Spitfire.

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:20 AM

Good luck in all you do Drew.
Great player,and great servant to the club.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users