Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: What Caused Allen To Pull The Plug?? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Caused Allen To Pull The Plug??

#21 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

I suspect like Tony Stewart at Rotherham and many football chairman DA started to loose interest when no matter how much you spend at a given level ,others will spend more and the success you crave is beyond your means or desire to pump even more cash in , with no gaurentees of success.

Couple that with jobs for the boys,the VERY important fact that DA is not a town fan coupled with a my way or the highway mentallity, our joy ride as fans was only going to be a short but fun one.

Savour some memories and pray for a takeover.

#22 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

I suspect DA bought in on the hope that the new ground would get things to a stage where he could sell for a profit and get out....thats not happened so now its a case of get out without having to put to much more in and get back as much as he can.

#23 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostJonB, on 24 March 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

I suspect DA bought in on the hope that the new ground would get things to a stage where he could sell for a profit and get out....thats not happened so now its a case of get out without having to put to much more in and get back as much as he can.

A niave hope, how many lower league clubs with fan bases like ours have been sold for a profit ??

#24 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

View PostTyrion, on 24 March 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

I dont think Tiny Temper was the right act to try and fill a stadium!

Didnt I read somewhere in the recent weeks (a post or quote from AC) that someone was approached for a gig for this/last summer?

the 'pop' concert lost money but as a weekend the two still made a fair sized wedge.

according to carson (Wikipedia on legs) this summer would have been jess glynne but the promoter pulled the plug when we were looking like going into administration.
whatever the truth in that is jess glynne wouldn't sell the proact out.

#25 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Didn't someone on here report asking if their Xmas booking would be affected by Allen's departure only for Carson to respond with bewilderment?

Or perhaps it was someone I spoke to, I dunno.

Either way I was sceptical at the time, putting events down to the owner tightening his grip and/or getting rid of folk that might challenge his >ahem< 'vision' for the Club, just as can't believe necessary assurances couldn't be given to secure a gig.

The suspicious and cynical might wonder if it was all just another bit of 'fake news'...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#26 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 24 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Didn't someone on here report asking if their Xmas booking would be affected by Allen's departure only for Carson to respond with bewilderment?

Or perhaps it was someone I spoke to, I dunno.

Either way I was sceptical at the time, putting events down to the owner tightening his grip and/or getting rid of folk that might challenge his >ahem< 'vision' for the Club, just as can't believe necessary assurances couldn't be given to secure a gig.

The suspicious and cynical might wonder if it was all just another bit of 'fake news'...

I'm still pondering the "picking up the pieces" thing that Freelander posted, and trying to reconcile that account with events at CFC. The "Wednesday old guard" doing what they could to stay in control, but using DA as cash cow. Does Allen think the other board members were doing the same? Have Carson and Turner been apportioning blame in their direction to cover for the rising costs and losses? Is that the real reason Allen got rid of the Gang of Four? Does he see the directors with CFC old guard links as the enemy within, his suspicions fuelled by half truths from the former CEO and current club secretary?
It's difficult to make sense of events of the last 3 years or so, and its difficult to see what motivations people had/have for events past and present. Carson has been gifted shares, but I see no other reward for his time and efforts. He was gifted shares at Wednesday but in the end they were worthless, so the question "why is he doing so much and devoting so much time and effort unrewarded". Why would he do this for free? He's almost the last man standing, there is no one else left to blame. He's firmly in the firing line now. What's he getting out of it that makes the time, grief worth his while?
I can't fathom what the heck is really going on. It makes no sense. Why would he loan the club 55grand? Why would he loan Sutcliffe 35 grand? It's nonsense.

#27 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostThe Black Triangle, on 25 March 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

I'm still pondering the "picking up the pieces" thing that Freelander posted, and trying to reconcile that account with events at CFC. The "Wednesday old guard" doing what they could to stay in control, but using DA as cash cow. Does Allen think the other board members were doing the same? Have Carson and Turner been apportioning blame in their direction to cover for the rising costs and losses? Is that the real reason Allen got rid of the Gang of Four? Does he see the directors with CFC old guard links as the enemy within, his suspicions fuelled by half truths from the former CEO and current club secretary?
It's difficult to make sense of events of the last 3 years or so, and its difficult to see what motivations people had/have for events past and present. Carson has been gifted shares, but I see no other reward for his time and efforts. He was gifted shares at Wednesday but in the end they were worthless, so the question "why is he doing so much and devoting so much time and effort unrewarded". Why would he do this for free? He's almost the last man standing, there is no one else left to blame. He's firmly in the firing line now. What's he getting out of it that makes the time, grief worth his while?
I can't fathom what the heck is really going on. It makes no sense. Why would he loan the club 55grand? Why would he loan Sutcliffe 35 grand? It's nonsense.

The answer I suspect has a lot to do with the unexplained increase in costs and the truth of where the money has gone.

Let's not forget Allen found this year's financial performance to be "positive" whilst for Carson it was only "slightly disappointing".

#28 User is offline   Spireiteboy155 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 23 March 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

The million-plus loss seemed to be the real game changer.

Allen supported Sheridan and Cook and, as quite rightly recognised, the good people of North Derbyshire supported him in the numbers he'd requested. But suddenly the much publicised pursuit of Higdon came to an abrupt end and there were no more arrivals until Cooper was sold. To be fair a percentage of that money did go on signing Clucas and Johnson yet when Doyle was so clearly touted, despite being only six or so months into a new deal, it became obvious the finances were still in disarray.

As confirmed by a conversation with a senior Board member at the time, the 'cheap options' post Doyle's departure, Phil Tooley's prophetic post and subsequent events.

It was then a vicious circle; talent exits leading to inferior performances, leading to lower crowds, leading to lower receipts, leading to more talent exits...

However it appeared the then Chairman would rather blame anything and anybody but those overseeing the cash haemorrhage.

Throw in the increasing disillusionment of punters, in no small part due to scandals revolving around those same appointees, and I guess there came a point where DA decided CFC was more trouble that it was worth.

So to summarise then, 'It's his own bloôdy fault'...

#29 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

View Postmoondog, on 25 March 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

The answer I suspect has a lot to do with the unexplained increase in costs and the truth of where the money has gone.

Let's not forget Allen found this year's financial performance to be "positive" whilst for Carson it was only "slightly disappointing".

If I was running a business that could only make a nominal profit by selling off its assets, and had no chance of reducing enourmous debts I'd be worried and having sleepless nights. I certainly wouldn't say it was positive. It doesn't make sense.

#30 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostThe Black Triangle, on 25 March 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

If I was running a business that could only make a nominal profit by selling off its assets, and had no chance of reducing enourmous debts I'd be worried and having sleepless nights. I certainly wouldn't say it was positive. It doesn't make sense.

It makes sense if you are happy with the situation, let's see what today's programme notes have to say, not that I'll be buying one.

#31 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

View Postmoondog, on 25 March 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

It makes sense if you are happy with the situation, let's see what today's programme notes have to say, not that I'll be buying one.

wouldnt even use her it with there spin on things and lies to wipe my ar534e on

#32 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 25 March 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

wouldnt even use her it with there spin on things and lies to wipe my ar534e on

Can someone translate this gobbledegook into English?

#33 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

View PostThe Black Triangle, on 25 March 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

For me, it can be summarised as follows:

1) At both SWFC & CFC, who was in the right, DA or the other directors?

2) At both SWFC & CFC, why did Alan Sykes & Alan Walters leave their positions?

3) Were Kaven Walker & Chris Turner suitably qualified and experienced to take on the CEO's role?

4) At both SWFC & CFC, what role did/does Ashley Carson perform in the business?

5) Why did Kaven Walker leave SWFC within two weeks of Nick Parker & Lee Strafford joining their board?

6) Why did Ashley Carson leave SWFC within two months of Nick Parker & Lee Stratford joining their board?

This post has been edited by freelander2: 25 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

#34 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 24 March 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

the 'pop' concert lost money but as a weekend the two still made a fair sized wedge.

according to carson (Wikipedia on legs) this summer would have been jess glynne but the promoter pulled the plug when we were looking like going into administration.
whatever the truth in that is jess glynne wouldn't sell the proact out.

Too many bigger venues on our door step and The Proact only will appeal to cfc fans in the main.
God I hate this league.

#35 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostThe Black Triangle, on 25 March 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Can someone translate this gobbledegook into English?

Basically, warfey wouldn't buy the program to use as toilet paper with the lies and spin in there.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#36 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 25 March 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Basically, warfey wouldn't buy the program to use as toilet paper with the lies and spin in there.

Who is "her"?

#37 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 25 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

3) Were Kaven Walker & Chris Turner suitably qualified and experienced to take on the CEO's role?

4) At both SWFC & CFC, what role did/does Ashley Carson perform in the business?

5) Why did Kaven Walker leave SWFC within two weeks of Nick Parker & Lee Strafford joining their board?

6) Why did Ashley Carson leave SWFC within two months of Nick Parker & Lee Stratford joining their board?

1) I have no idea.
2)pushed out by Allen because they were not his men?
3) No.
4) Honestly don't know why Carson is involved.
5)coz he wasn't suitable and they knew it
6)no idea, I honestly don't know why Carson is involved

#38 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostThe Black Triangle, on 25 March 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Who is "her"?

Warfey struggles with predictive text!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#39 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 25 March 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Warfey struggles with predictive text!

I think everyone struggles with his predictive text

#40 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 25 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

From looking at that, the suspicious and cynical might conclude DA doesn't want anyone who might challenge, question or outshine him anywhere near.

Or as some may call them 'honest folk'.

And when he goes his associates don't hang around long enough to answer any awkward questions.

By the way, I wonder what tales the likes of, say, Lee Strafford could tell if they spent an hour or two in the company of 'BB' members...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users