Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: What Caused Allen To Pull The Plug?? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Caused Allen To Pull The Plug??

#1 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

We were on an upward curve, going well in league 1 the playoffs were always in our grasp, the fans were turning up, the football was good but he chose to not sign johnson, and then sold the countries leading striker, why did he dip out when we so close (as close as we will ever come again) to achieving the goal of championship football,.. who/ what pist him off so much that he turned and ran to the pigeon lofts??
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#2 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 23 March 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

We were on an upward curve, going well in league 1 the playoffs were always in our grasp, the fans were turning up, the football was good but he chose to not sign johnson, and then sold the countries leading striker, why did he dip out when we so close (as close as we will ever come again) to achieving the goal of championship football,.. who/ what pist him off so much that he turned and ran to the pigeon lofts??

I guess we will never find out.

I reckon with 2 additions the season after and keeping Cook and the squad together, we would have beaten Burton to 2nd place and gone up.

Again all in the past sadly :angry:
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#3 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 23 March 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

True to form. Did exactly the same thing at Wednesday. Seems to get bored after a few years.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

spireitetoo said:

1490296979[/url]' post='1291124']

Allen pulled the plug before that.

Cast your mind back to Paul Cooks pre season following promotion, his talk of cancelling friendly games, and the Higdon saga.

Having said that, Allen only has himself to blame. He appointed fools and dishonest men to run the club and be involved in CFC after he ousted BH AW + CW and supported the actions of these people.

Would BH have employed a fool like Turner, or a liar like Sutcliffe or the slippery Carson? Or Fitzgerald? Or link up with Al Nasser or Bingham?

My hairy ***** pipe he would! Yet the dee dahs took actions that are very different and unfortunately the club is now reaping the whirlwind having the dee days sown the wind.

A new hope.

#5 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 23 March 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

Cast your mind back to Paul Cooks pre season following promotion, his talk of cancelling friendly games, and the Higdon saga.

Having said that, Allen only has himself to blame. He appointed fools and dishonest men to run the club and be involved in CFC after he ousted BH AW + CW and supported the actions of these people.

Would BH have employed a fool like Turner, or a liar like Sutcliffe or the slippery Carson? Or Fitzgerald? Or link up with Al Nasser or Bingham?

My hairy ***** pipe he would! Yet the dee dahs took actions that are very different and unfortunately the club is now reaping the whirlwind having the dee days sown the wind.

If he hadn't started pulling the plug we'd have been paying hippo Higdon about 8k a week which a lot on here wanted to do. God only knows where we'd be now with our money troubles if we had done that

#6 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Cook offered his resignation on the day of the post promotion civic reception if what I was told was true. That was only reversed when promises about an increased budget were made.

#7 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

I think the failure of those summer concerts made him realise the stadium was never going to be a cash cow he thought it was
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#8 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

The million-plus loss seemed to be the real game changer.

Allen supported Sheridan and Cook and, as quite rightly recognised, the good people of North Derbyshire supported him in the numbers he'd requested. But suddenly the much publicised pursuit of Higdon came to an abrupt end and there were no more arrivals until Cooper was sold. To be fair a percentage of that money did go on signing Clucas and Johnson yet when Doyle was so clearly touted, despite being only six or so months into a new deal, it became obvious the finances were still in disarray.

As confirmed by a conversation with a senior Board member at the time, the 'cheap options' post Doyle's departure, Phil Tooley's prophetic post and subsequent events.

It was then a vicious circle; talent exits leading to inferior performances, leading to lower crowds, leading to lower receipts, leading to more talent exits...

However it appeared the then Chairman would rather blame anything and anybody but those overseeing the cash haemorrhage.

Throw in the increasing disillusionment of punters, in no small part due to scandals revolving around those same appointees, and I guess there came a point where DA decided CFC was more trouble that it was worth.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 23 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#9 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 23 March 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

Allen supported Sheridan and Cook and, as quite rightly recognised, the good people of North Derbyshire supported him in the numbers he'd requested. But suddenly the much publicised pursuit of Higdon came to an abrupt end and there were no more arrivals until Cooper was sold. To be fair a percentage of that money did go on signing Clucas and Johnson yet when Doyle was so clearly touted, despite being only six or so months into a new deal, it became obvious the finances were still in disarray.

As confirmed by a conversation with a senior Board member at the time, the 'cheap options' post Doyle's departure, Phil Tooley's prophetic post and subsequent events.

It was then a vicious circle; talent exits leading to inferior performances, leading to lower crowds, leading to lower receipts, leading to more talent exits...

However it appeared the then Chairman would rather blame anything and anybody but those overseeing the cash haemorrhage.

Throw in the increasing disillusionment of punters, in no small part due to scandals revolving around those same appointees, and I guess there came a point where DA decided CFC was more trouble that it was worth.

Which funnily enough is about where I'm at with things as a supporter.

The signing of Byron Harrison to replace Doyle and the games that Cook played with the on-loan Johnson were serious red flags.

#10 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 23 March 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

Which funnily enough is about where I'm at with things as a supporter.

The signing of Byron Harrison to replace Doyle and the games that Cook played with the on-loan Johnson were serious red flags.

Harrison is arguably better than anything we have now

#11 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Given DA's ludicrous valuation, your final paragraph comes unstuck.

#12 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 23 March 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Harrison is arguably better than anything we have now

Yeah, cruelly ironic really. He'd walk into this side.

#13 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

Westbars Spireite said:

1490301147[/url]' post='1291147']
Cook offered his resignation on the day of the post promotion civic reception if what I was told was true. That was only reversed when promises about an increased budget were made.

It was also said that when Cook complained of the budget being frozen he said "what's the point of me being here" to be told in reply " there's the door if you don't like it"

Then again, I was also told Allen was stepping down and handing over to his son in law....and that he was interested in selling the club and keeping the ground.
A new hope.

#14 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

I read that an ex-Disney Chief Exec is trying to buy Pompey due to their obvious potential. I wonder if he will ditch Cook and go for a bigger name , or Brad Bobley?
These go to eleven.

#15 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

It would look that way, until Allen said he wanted 15million. I read from the article Freelander posted (picking up the pieces?) that Carson was with Allen at Wednesday, and that Allen gifted Carson some of his shares in Wednesday. He's done the same thing here. What is the relationship between these 2 men?

#16 User is offline   Tyrion 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

View Postazul, on 23 March 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

I think the failure of those summer concerts made him realise the stadium was never going to be a cash cow he thought it was

I dont think Tiny Temper was the right act to try and fill a stadium!

Didnt I read somewhere in the recent weeks (a post or quote from AC) that someone was approached for a gig for this/last summer?

#17 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

The mood of Cook after the preseason friendly defeat at Lincoln when he walked away from the post match
interview saying he might say something he would later regret showed that things were not right even then

#18 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

View PostTyrion, on 24 March 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

I dont think Tiny Temper was the right act to try and fill a stadium!

Probably not but it should have been the case that the Sunday "party at the proact" setup was just bonus stuff on top of the bigger gig the day before. What seemed to go wrong was the marketing of the whole weekend with struggling to shift tickets. Not sure greedy is the right word but we seemed to want a bigger slice of the cake by cutting out a promoter as we used for the Elton John concert where we got a flat fee for renting the stadium plus profits from refreshments etc with the promoter getting the ticket money. I would suspect thats the best way forward....rent out the stadium to folk who are putting on the gigs and get less but guaranteed money.

View PostTyrion, on 24 March 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Didnt I read somewhere in the recent weeks (a post or quote from AC) that someone was approached for a gig for this/last summer?

I think it was mentioned that there was one in the works but the uncertainties around the club before xmas meant it got canned. Think Jess Glynne was the act in question.

#19 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

My analogy of this situation would be a divorce between 2 parties due to irreconcilable differences. The husband and wife in this scenario are the fans and Dave Allen.

Once very much in together in their shared journey it took a series of incidents for the acrimony to come to a point of no return.

It's a shame somewhat as I believe both parties want good things for the club and both sides believe they are in the right.

IMHO the split started with Dean Saunders, everything else is window dressing as I think most fans would forgive almost anything if they had a winning team playing decent footy.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#20 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Allen always said the club had to look after itself in terms of finances and he wasnt going to bankroll things like i suspect many expected\wanted him to. It reached breaking point when for many reasons the losses got to a point where things needed to change and he wants out. Things werent helped by the fact Cook spat his dummy out over reduced budgets having previously had a more than healthy budget to bring players in where he wanted to.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users