Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Well If They're A Benchmark In Our League... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Well If They're A Benchmark In Our League...

#21 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

just watched that doyle chance again on youtube. hell of a lot easier chance than i thought it was. gotta hit the target there :angry

#22 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Last night I watched one of the most entertaining league games I have seen in ages.

A game in which we matched an excellent and well fancied experienced league one side.

The match turned on two chances - one missed and the other taken with aplomb.

However, I cannot recall a single real save any of the three keepers on display had to make. Generally speaking it was a very open game with defences on top - possibly sounds a bit of a contradiction but fact.

As such, I struggle to say that their strikers were any better than ours. I felt for most of the game our attack build ups were better than theirs. However, if there is a criticism, very few of our balls into the penalty area seemed to be aimed at blue shirts but more into the areas where they weren't. The most guilty party in this respect was Roberts whilst Darikwa did put in a few far more dangerous crosses. Additionally, there seems to be a reluctance to hit a shot first time thus giving the opposition's defence time to close down.

We are not far away from being a very good outfit at this level and if Banks and Gardner get match fit we will have a few more options.

#23 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostGoku, on 20 August 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

just watched that doyle chance again on youtube. hell of a lot easier chance than i thought it was. gotta hit the target there :angry

True, but not as easy as that miss by Afobe, that donkey didn't even get his shot away :lol:
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#24 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

View Postazul, on 20 August 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

If Doyle plays the majority of games he'll probably get 20 goals

If Afobe is so superior and playing on such a great attacking team (as may on here seem to think) and plays the majoroty of games, then he'll be nailed on for 30+ goals, we'll see

Not aimed at you specifically, Azul, but why do people keep peddling this 20 goal a season striker rubbish.

We won L2 last season without one (indeed no one hit 15 in the league for us!!), and there were over 180 more goals scored in L1 than L2 last season, and yet only 4 players hit 20+ league goals, and only of one of those won promotion (Agard with Rotherham via the play offs). Two of the team finished 12th and 18th!!!

#25 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

For me last night showed the step up in standard that we have to deal with.

#26 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

Fair play. I haven't seen it yet. I'll have a gander now :rolleyes:
#notapennymore

#27 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

We were sat directly behind him when he shot, although it wasn't far away from the top corner, you've got to hit the target, with pace ideally and make the keeper save it. PC's reaction to the miss said it all for me!!

#28 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 20 August 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Not aimed at you specifically, Azul, but why do people keep peddling this 20 goal a season striker rubbish.

We won L2 last season without one (indeed no one hit 15 in the league for us!!), and there were over 180 more goals scored in L1 than L2 last season, and yet only 4 players hit 20+ league goals, and only of one of those won promotion (Agard with Rotherham via the play offs). Two of the team finished 12th and 18th!!!

It's a bit of a cliche but hardly rubbish

Goals throughout the team is also a cliche.

It would nice to have both, they aren't mutually exclusive are they

#29 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 20 August 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

We were sat directly behind him when he shot, although it wasn't far away from the top corner, you've got to hit the target, with pace ideally and make the keeper save it. PC's reaction to the miss said it all for me!!

Clearly encouraged by his effort against Orient form a very similar position

He'll be back to his normal technique of just blasting it towards the keeper

#30 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Just watched on you tube and turning to the other end of the pitch and their goal. Afobe was allowed to go too far before a challenge came in but excepting that Tommy should not have been beaten on his near post from that angle.

This post has been edited by jonnythespireite: 20 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#31 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 20 August 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Just watched on you tube and turning to the other end of the pitch and their goal. Afobe was allowed to go too far before a challenge came in but excepting that Tommy should not have been beaten on his near post from that angle.

I think we need to worry more about the number of clean sheets we'll keep, rather than how many goals Doyle, or anyone else for that matter will score

This post has been edited by azul: 20 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

#32 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 20 August 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Not sure you can say that about Tommy. Afobe hit that ball with real venom, from about 12 yards. If Tommy had known where he was going to hit it, he may have had a chance, but the striker could just as easily gone for a cross shot to the other post. The forward shouldn't have been allowed to run that far, that easily.

#33 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 20 August 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

For me last night showed the step up in standard that we have to deal with.

Can you be more explicit?

At half time I was expecting defeat because you don't normally dominate a game so much, fail to take your chances and get away with it. Nothing more

#34 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Three points...

1) Yeah, it was a good chance, though if this was our best chance of the night it says more about us as a side than the miss.

2) Very poor defending and Tommy getting beat on his near stick was a bad bit of keeping. Doyle scores we get a point. Tommy saves it, we get a point. Both happen we win...
Fine lines, but ones that we need to make happen more than we don’t, and that’s not as easy as it sounds. Only the best teams do this. We can play all the football in the world, but this doesn’t get you points. Defending and goals do.

3) If that's the extent of the extended highlights on Player I'm cancelling my contract... That frankly was abysmal :angry
#notapennymore

#35 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 20 August 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Three points...

1) Yeah, it was a good chance, though if this was our best chance of the night it says more about us as a side than the miss.

2) Very poor defending and Tommy getting beat on his near stick was a bad bit of keeping. Doyle scores we get a point. Tommy saves it, we get a point. Both happen we win...
Fine lines, but ones that we need to make happen more than we don’t, and that’s not as easy as it sounds. Only the best teams do this. We can play all the football in the world, but this doesn’t get you points. Defending and goals do.

3) If that's the extent of the extended highlights on Player I'm cancelling my contract... That frankly was abysmal :angry

When I looked at them it was only 4 minutes long and missed out our best period of the game

As you said, abysmal

PS
I have already cancelled my contract, doesn't work on my PC anymore, but it still appears to work on the mobile app

This post has been edited by azul: 20 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

#36 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 20 August 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

Not sure you can say that about Tommy. Afobe hit that ball with real venom, from about 12 yards. If Tommy had known where he was going to hit it, he may have had a chance, but the striker could just as easily gone for a cross shot to the other post. The forward shouldn't have been allowed to run that far, that easily.

He shouldn't have been allowed to go that far. I said that . He may have been 12ish yards out and caught it well but the angle was pretty acute and a keeper should simply just not get done on his near post. Afobe couldn't just easily have hit it across Lee as that's more difficult and there were defenders who may have got a block on it.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#37 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 20 August 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

He shouldn't have been allowed to go that far. I said that . He may have been 12ish yards out and caught it well but the angle was pretty acute and a keeper should simply just not get done on his near post. Afobe couldn't just easily have hit it across Lee as that's more difficult and there were defenders who may have got a block on it.

Still disagree. When a deadball from the penalty spot is hammered at goal, passing the keeper within a few inches, no one says the keeper should have stopped it. They just say well taken.

Afobe hit a running ball, that sat up perfect for him, at a greater speed than any penalty. Tommy had less than a second to move. If he had covered the near post only, he would have left an open goal to his right.

#38 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

I didn't attribute any blame to Tommy at the time and don't now. Afobe struck it with some rate venom, don't think there was anything he could do.

#39 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

[quote name='60s 70s Spireite' timestamp='1408567594' post='1032950']
Still disagree. When a deadball from the penalty spot is hammered at goal, passing the keeper within a few inches, no one says the keeper should have stopped it. They just say well taken.

Afobe hit a running ball, that sat up perfect for him, at a greater speed than any penalty. Tommy had less than a second to move. If he had covered the near post only, he would have left an open goal to his right

I don't give a monkeys if you agree or not. Let's start taking penalties from the right or left of the penalty area then and see how many get scored compared to straight down the middle.

Are you sure it was hit harder than a penalty? Did you have the speed camera on it? Just your opinion of course. I think the general consensus is that despite it being a good strike Lee should probably have done better.

#40 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostGoku, on 20 August 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

I didn't attribute any blame to Tommy at the time and don't now. Afobe struck it with some rate venom, don't think there was anything he could do.

Spot on

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users