• You cannot reply to this topic

Dunny By Donny.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

I quite like Donny.

Folk there don't seem to have the same chips on shoulders as some others (is it really in Yorkshire?) and throughout all my visits, football or just beering (is that a word? It is now), I've never encountered any issues. My first trip to their new (ish) ground, too, and perhaps the best way to describe it is the Proact plus corners. Or, alternatively, 'come and have a look at what you could've had, Millers'. Yeah, unlike their overpriced and overrated 'Tardis in reverse' (© JD51) you can actually breath on the Keepmoat concourse when there're more than a few hundred down there, whilst the seating incline is comfortably below vertical.

Downside is it's way out the way, though, so add a taxi fare onto the match-day expenses.

Anyway, credit to Dickov for doing his homework. Rovers started with an intensity that stopped us playing then exploited our defensive shortcomings. Humphries at LB was a 'double whammy'; he was done for pace going backwards and couldn't offer the overlap going forward. Meanwhile both their first and third goals saw Donny players have two bites of the cherry, so to speak, in front of goal. Poor defending, simple as that. Worse still we offered little at the other end, going too long, too often, and being outmuscled by an outfit handed all the licence they needed by an obvious 'homer'. But 'y'know what? This is a 'new' Town. For years and years going two down would've probably meant the towel being thrown, however there's a tangible spirit amongst the side these days that's increasingly reflected amongst it's followers. I kinda knew we'd get one back, even after early season talisman Sam Morsy joined our worryingly lengthy injury list, and if/when we did would have a real go.

Step forward Sam Clucas to do exactly that, capitalising on an off-post shot by the impressive Johnson.

Problem was our not so little neighbours started the second half as they'd done the first, imposing themselves and pressing us back. After their third Cook had no option but to change things, replacing the struggling Humphries and anonymous Boco with Gnanduillet and O'Shea. Suddenly we were watching a different game, the former dominating with his presence and the latter bamboozling a now panicking home defence. The big Ivorian appeared to've scored, forcing in at the back stick, yet the same inept lino who'd handed Rovers a corner when two and a half thousand Spireites had seen the ball clearly come off one of their's decided otherwise. Man-of-the-moment Doyle did make it two shortly afterwards, his sheer determination driving home a bobbling effort when he looked second favourite. Town were magnificent, flowing forward in the manner we've come to know and love and dominating an expensively assembled side who were playing Championship football only months ago. Chance after chance went begging, tantalising crosses that needed only the slightest nudge goalwards or wayward attempts when the hard work seemed to've been done. But unfortunately we just couldn't convert, infact the late stages saw Donny re-assert themselves if only to kill time.

Maybe climbing the same mountain twice in as many games was too much to expect.

Thoughts? Well no one likes losing, yet if your gonna lose this is the way to do it. A Town side shorn of it's better players deserved at least a point. Everyone associated with Chesterfield FC left Doncaster with their heads held high, yesterday. Contrast that with the sight of young ball boys clearly dawdling - or not even fetching the ball at all - because their team were in front. That has to come from someone at DRFC. John Ryan has done a great deal to establish a good name for his club, yet such cynical and pathetic behaviour embarrassed it.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 21 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is online   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 September 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

I quite like Donny.

Folk there don't seem to have the same chips on shoulders as some others (you know who you are...) and throughout all my visits, football or just beering (is that a word? It is now), I've never encountered any issues. My first trip to their new (ish) ground, too, and perhaps the best way to describe it is the Proact plus corners. Or, alternatively, 'come and have a look at what you could've had, Millers'. Yeah, unlike their overpriced and overrated 'Tardis in reverse' (© JD51) you can actually breath on the Keepmoat concourse when there are more than a few hundred down there, whilst the seating incline is comfortably below vertical.

Downside is it's way out the way, though, so add a taxi fare onto the match-day expenses.

Anyway, credit to Dickov for doing his homework. Rovers started with an intensity that stopped us playing then exploited our defensive shortcomings. Humphries at LB was a 'double whammy'; he was done for pace going backwards and couldn't offer the overlap going forward. Meanwhile both their first and third goals saw Donny players have two bites of the cherry, so to speak, in front of goal. Poor defending, simple as that. Worse still we offered little at the other end, going too long, too often, and being outmuscled by an outfit handed all the licence they needed by an obvious 'homer'. But 'y'know what? This is a 'new' Town. For years and years going two down would've probably meant the towel being thrown, however there's a tangible spirit amongst the side these days that's increasingly reflected amongst it's followers. I kinda knew we'd get one back, even after early season talisman Sam Morsy joined our worryingly lengthy injury list, and if/when we did would have a real go.

Step forward Sam Clucas to do exactly that, capitalising on an off-post shot by the impressive Johnson.

Problem was the Yorkshire outfit started the second half as they'd done the first, imposing themselves and pressing us back. After their third Cook had no option but to change things, replacing the struggling Humphries and anonymous Boco with Gnanduillet and O'Shea. Suddenly we were watching a different game, the former dominating with his presence and the latter bamboozling a now panicking home defence. The big Ivorian appeared to've scored, forcing in at the back stick, yet the same inept lino who'd handed Rovers a corner when two and a half thousand Spireites had seen the ball clearly come off one of their's decided otherwise. Man-of-the-moment Doyle did make it two shortly afterwards, though, his sheer determination driving home a bobbling effort when he looked second favourite. Town were magnificent, flowing forward in the manner we've come to know and love and dominating an expensively assembled side who were playing Championship football only months ago. Chance after chance went begging, tantalising crosses that needed only the slightest nudge goalwards or wayward attempts when the hard work seemed to've been done. But unfortunately we just couldn't convert, infact the late stages saw Donny re-assert themselves if only to kill time.

Maybe climbing the same mountain twice in as many games was too much to expect.

Thoughts? Well no one likes losing, yet if your gonna lose this is the way to do it. A Town side shorn of it's better players deserved at least a point. Everyone associated with Chesterfield FC left Doncaster with their heads held high, yesterday. Contrast that with the sight of young ball boys clearly dawdling - or not even fetching the ball at all - because their team were in front. That has to come from someone at DRFC. John Ryan has done a great deal to establish a good name for his club, yet such cynical and pathetic behaviour embarrassed it.

Another good write up chris.....spot on about the ball boys I noted that and I think they were only on the home keepers end also....didn't oshea actually go into the home support to retrieve the ball nr the end?
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#3 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

Great report again Chris, but I must take issue with the corner decision..I must have been the only Spireite who clearly saw the ball brush Humphries thigh on its way out..a correct decision, but I must admit to being as mystified as the next man over the disallowed goal!
East stand second class citizen.

#4 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sorry if it looks like I'm indulging in self-promotion by 'bumping' this thread, but I've just remembered summat.

Why was Club photographer Tina Jenner asked to move during yesterday's second half?

Stewards clearly approached her and, to her obvious surprise, stopped her snapping.

Anyone know?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#5 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 September 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Sorry if it looks like I'm indulging in self-promotion by 'bumping' this thread, but I've just remembered summat.

Why was Club photographer Tina Jenner asked to move during yesterday's second half?

Stewards clearly approached her and, to her obvious surprise, stopped her snapping.

Anyone know?

Ball boys delaying tactics as well, maybe my opinion of Dickov isn't far from the truth "he's a wrong un"

An opinion based on games v Oldham and substantiated yesterday

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#6 User is offline   Scooby Doo 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 September 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Anyone know?

Although I did not witness it myself I was made aware that one of their ball boys was giving the v signs to the town fans. I understand this was reported to the chief steward and the incident was also witnessed by a DRFC steward. The ball boy in question was one of their youth team players .
Onwards & Upwards!

#7 User is offline   spireite nick 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostC C CFC, on 22 September 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

Although I did not witness it myself I was made aware that one of their ball boys was giving the v signs to the town fans. I understand this was reported to the chief steward and the incident was also witnessed by a DRFC steward. The ball boy in question was one of their youth team players .

Didn't see this, but I'm guessing it was the p***k on the LHS behind the goal? He was the one constantly timewasting and wetting himself at how hilarious he was being.

#8 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

View Postspireite nick, on 22 September 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Didn't see this, but I'm guessing it was the p***k on the LHS behind the goal? He was the one constantly timewasting and wetting himself at how hilarious he was being.

He was a complete disgrace. I would hope he'll be taken on one side and told not to drag down Donny's standing with away fans.
If one of our ball boys did it I'd like to think he'd get an ear'oling at least from the crowd. Terrible attitude in a kid that age - it would have been a treat if the ref had had a word, as he should have done.

#9 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

View Posth again, on 22 September 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

He was a complete disgrace....

..he was emulating the goalie. In fact, if he'd done anything else other than dawdle, he'd have got a bolloxing from the goalie.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#10 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 September 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

..he was emulating the goalie. In fact, if he'd done anything else other than dawdle, he'd have got a bolloxing from the goalie.

..and if the goaly hadn't bolloxed him the goaly would have got a bolloxing from dickoff
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#11 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 September 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I thought he was a degree worse than the goalie, and inciting the crowd as well by giggling at them and playing the big I Am.
The players all do it, including ours, but they've got the Ref to contend with when it comes to the crunch. That moron did as he liked. I don't think I've ever been to a match where the players fetched the ball back so often.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users