Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Caolan Lavery/ Daniel Johnson - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Caolan Lavery/ Daniel Johnson

#1 User is online   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Are we going to see a similar scenario with lavery where we put him in the shop window and out of our price bracket, johnson imo should have been signed as an investment will lavery go the same way.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#2 User is offline   newboldsteve 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

all depends if you have the money and the players preferred destination

#3 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 04 March 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

Are we going to see a similar scenario with lavery where we put him in the shop window and out of our price bracket, johnson imo should have been signed as an investment will lavery go the same way.

If you can come up with a way that we could have competed with Preston for a player, you are an even better financier than coach.

What's the way out of the conundrum then?.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#4 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

Don't think Preston paid that much for Johnson either:

Btw, Daniel Johnson could well turn out to be signing of the season if we finish 2nd. 50k and he's already scored 4 in his last 4 and set 2 up. He's fantastic.

(From http://www.onefootba...ns-vs-pne.1620/)

#5 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostLuSiVe, on 04 March 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

But, what wages is he on?

#6 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostLuSiVe, on 04 March 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

It's a well known fact that if a transfer fee is mentioned on a football forum it has to be accurate :lol:

#7 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

I'm convinced we'd have made the playoffs with him in the side, even if he was only to stand in whilst Robbo was injured (not that would have been the case as both fit they'd would have both played), though the points lost whilst Roberts was out wouldn't have been as bad and not only that he'd have gained us extra points as he's a class above with his goals and assists (his goals were only a matter of time with us, he was starting to get really close and was unlucky a couple of times).
Like you say the Preston fans are quickly realising this and they have some very good players to start with. I really hope it wasn’t a lack of willing to spend a bit of cash as an investment that we missed out on his signature even if we did try to get him in January as I’ve not heard anything, especially as we were doing out utmost to offload Doyle so we knew the likelihood of having some serious cash coming in for our next money spinner was imminent. All history now, though he’d not only made the difference he’d have made us a packet as well.
#notapennymore

#8 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostBeelzebub, on 04 March 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

It's a well known fact that if a transfer fee is mentioned on a football forum it has to be accurate :lol:

Yeah, I know, it still seemed to be a low enough number to be worthy of remark though ....

Edit to add quote so things made sense ....

This post has been edited by LuSiVe: 04 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

#9 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 04 March 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

I really hope it wasn’t a lack of willing to spend a bit of cash as an investment that we missed out on his signature even if we did try to get him in January as I’ve not heard anything, especially as we were doing out utmost to offload Doyle so we knew the likelihood of having some serious cash coming in for our next money spinner was imminent. All history now, though he’d not only made the difference he’d have made us a packet as well.

It's his wages, not the fee. Preston will be paying him miles more than we could sensibly afford.

#10 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostLuSiVe, on 04 March 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Yeah, I know, it still seemed to be a low enough number to be worthy of remark though ....

Edit to add quote so things made sense ....

I don't think it would have been anything silly like 500K. IF it had been as much as say 200K, what would that have been with the Doyle money imminent? We always knew we were going to sell so we should have lined the next one up if we could as Johnson is always going to court a lot of interest (especially in a attack minded footballing side like ours). Okay, if he chose to go elsewhere OR indeed the fee was way out of our price range OR his wage demands were out of our pay structure then fair enough, but it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of knowledge about football how talented the bloke is and what influence he had on the pitch. Two very good characteristics for such a young lad with little experience (he could only have got better). I would love to know that we at least went in for him did our best to land him (I'd be more than happy with that, unless he did sign from Villa for 50K and is on 2K a week, lol)
#notapennymore

#11 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 04 March 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

but it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of knowledge about football how talented the bloke is and what influence he had on the pitch....

...that's not very complementary to Championship scouts. There's a reason they wern't interested.

#12 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 04 March 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

I don't think it would have been anything silly like 500K. IF it had been as much as say 200K, what would that have been with the Doyle money imminent? We always knew we were going to sell so we should have lined the next one up if we could as Johnson is always going to court a lot of interest (especially in a attack minded footballing side like ours). Okay, if he chose to go elsewhere OR indeed the fee was way out of our price range OR his wage demands were out of our pay structure then fair enough, but it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of knowledge about football how talented the bloke is and what influence he had on the pitch. Two very good characteristics for such a young lad with little experience (he could only have got better). I would love to know that we at least went in for him did our best to land him (I'd be more than happy with that, unless he did sign from Villa for 50K and is on 2K a week, lol)

I suppose Oldham fans thought they were in with a chance of him too, because with his time with them he added goals to his game. Both us and Oldham helped with his move to one of the L1 promoition contenders, but the fact he went to Preston says a lot to me - their budget and capacity to pay wages are easily in the Top 3 in this league.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#13 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

View Postdim view, on 04 March 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

...that's not very complementary to Championship scouts. There's a reason they wern't interested.

Yep, he's not played many games. Sometimes you drop lucky or get in their early otherwise no premiership castoffs would work their way back up the leagues and there'd be no big money moves from lower down the leagues to the top two divisions.
I had an email from someone that knows how true it is... Ever since we played at Preston and DJ looked a class above Grayson with his contacts still within Villa had already made plans to sign him in January, so if this was the case and as you say considering that they can easily out muscle us for wages then we probably didn't stand a chance. Shame when we signed him it wasn't December and we could have got in there first :rolleyes: Ah, well.. Some you win, most we lose, lol
#notapennymore

#14 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 04 March 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

I suppose Oldham fans thought they were in with a chance of him too, because with his time with them he added goals to his game. Both us and Oldham helped with his move to one of the L1 promoition contenders, but the fact he went to Preston says a lot to me - their budget and capacity to pay wages are easily in the Top 3 in this league.

Not disagreeing. All I would love to know is that we tried our best to make it happen. If we can't compete then I'm happy with that as it still means we want to progress and not be a club that simple rolls over and loses potential future assets to other clubs simply because we didn't do our utmost, if we lose out then, then I've no problem with that.

This post has been edited by Spireite-Karl: 04 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

#notapennymore

#15 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 04 March 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

As for Lavery, I guess that Wednesday are in a different position to Villa in that they are less likely to let their young players depart. They've invested a lot of time in him and he was buzzing around their first time before injury, if memory serves.
If he develops with us and becomes capable of scoring 10-15 in the Championship they have a very valuable asset there, and he's potentially worth a lot to them.
With the Villa/Johnson situation, he was miles away from their first team, and Premier League clubs let younger players like Johnson go all the time.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#16 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

Wednesday are in a different environment now with the recent takeover and ambitions to make the Premier League within two years. We need to make sure we are in pole position for Caolan if and when he comes available.

Maybe its time to drop him for a few games lol.

This post has been edited by brianclose: 04 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

#17 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

View Postbrianclose, on 04 March 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Wednesday are in a different environment now with the recent takeover and ambitions to make the Premier League within two years. We need to make sure we are in pole position for Caolan if and when he comes available.

Maybe its time to drop him for a few games lol.

Dropping Johnson didn't work in our favour.

We will have targets lined up for the close season whether or not Lavery is one of them remains to be seen.

#18 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

View Postdtp, on 04 March 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Dropping Johnson didn't work in our favour.

We will have targets lined up for the close season whether or not Lavery is one of them remains to be seen.

Hence the tongue in cheek comment.

#19 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

[quote name='dim view' timestamp='1425464207' post='1092342']
It's his wages, not the fee. Preston will be paying him miles more than we could sensibly afford.
[/quote

Do you imagine the income streams between the two clubs are poles apart?
JRID

#20 User is online   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

View Postdim view, on 04 March 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

If you can come up with a way that we could have competed with Preston for a player, you are an even better financier than coach.

What's the way out of the conundrum then?.

Well if you cannot buy a player when you have sold players for north of 1.5 million in a season when can we buy them, i know the timing does not coincide exactly but doyle was always going to go, if lavery comnands a fee in the next financial year i know what chance we have of getting him.On another note you dont need to be a genius to be a scout most scouts operate on a jobs for the boys style of work i know an ex player who cannot remember a players name and if you listened too him you would think he was unemployable but he still goes scouting at regular championship sides, there isnt any real qualification process.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users