Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Calling All Maths Genius's - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Calling All Maths Genius's At What Point are we safe?

#1 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

With 18 Games Left looking at the table is there a points tally.. when we could guarantee safety? or is it down to the wire !!! Any Maths genius's out there.

https://www.google.c...f=1547847482910

This post has been edited by HoneyTrippa: 18 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#2 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:42 PM

View PostHoneyTrippa, on 18 January 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

With 18 Games Left looking at the table is there a points tally.. when we could guarantee safety? or is it down to the wire !!! Any Maths genius's out there.

Keep the maths simple
Win at least 2 more games than all others around us
Have passport will travel

#3 User is offline   timshorts 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

Yes, of course there is. However, as it would be based upon three sides losing almost every match and none of the other sides around us drawing a game to the end of the season it's not productive to bother calculating.

Besides, the plural of genius isn't genius's. It's a second declension Latin noun and not irregular.

This post has been edited by timshorts: 18 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

#4 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:06 PM

Warf just about to post same

#5 User is offline   timshorts 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:18 PM

Anyhow, as this has now got me thinking, it's easy to work out that at the start of the season before a ball is kicked, and possibly after the first set of games assuming that there was no more than one draw in that first set that a side could get relegated on 78 points.

#6 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things Spireites - and Liverpool

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

View Posttimshorts, on 18 January 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

Anyhow, as this has now got me thinking, it's easy to work out that at the start of the season before a ball is kicked, and possibly after the first set of games assuming that there was no more than one draw in that first set that a side could get relegated on 78 points.

Not possible. Not saying your maths is incorrect for the single side, but you need to take into consideration the entire ‘problem’. There ae 24 teams in the league. You cant have nearly all of them averaging 2 points a game.

#7 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:36 AM

View PostNorton Blue, on 19 January 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

Not possible. Not saying your maths is incorrect for the single side, but you need to take into consideration the entire ‘problem’. There ae 24 teams in the league. You cant have nearly all of them averaging 2 points a game.

Diane Abbott says "Why not?"
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#8 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

At this moment it's virtually impossible to work out a single points figure because you would have to factor in all the permutations of every club playing one another and the out come of that game. Like benno says win two games more than a cpl of clubs and we should be ok...
Edit, I've tried to avoid looking at the table this season due to suicidal tendencies but I didn't realise what a massive hole we could be in if we lose today!
East stand second class citizen.

#9 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

View Postborn in 1866, on 19 January 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

Diane Abbott says "Why not?"

Why not use Philip Hammond as a figure of fun, our esteemed chancellor, who when asked how much HS2 would cost, said £32 billion when in fact the figure was £52 billion? Is not an error of £20 billion worth ridicule or is it not as funny as a black woman making a mistake?

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

View PostToddhopper., on 19 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Why not use Philip Hammond as a figure of fun, our esteemed chancellor, who when asked how much HS2 would cost, said £32 billion when in fact the figure was £52 billion? Is not an error of £20 billion worth ridicule or is it not as funny as a black woman making a mistake?

Was just about to mention Philip Hammond. Really don’t get how he gets away with it and she doesn’t.

#11 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

I think the most important thing today is that we avoid defeat. We've got away games coming up at Braintree, Maidenhead, Dover, Havant and home games against Maidstone and Halifax. If we make sure these dont end up in defeats and win a decent percentage of them, Im more than confident we will amass enough points to at least finish 5th from bottom.

We've yet to have a good winning run yet this season. I reckon Sheridan is a good enough manager to get this side winning at least 3-4 in a row. That should make a big difference to the league place.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#12 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostGoku, on 19 January 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

Was just about to mention Philip Hammond. Really don’t get how he gets away with it and she doesn’t.

I suppose the reality is they are both equally deserving of ridicule, regardless of gender, skin colour and political bias.
My issue with Abbott is instead of taking it on the chin she hid behind her diabetes. It’s hard enough managing the condition on a daily basis without someone making a really high profile fool of themselves, then saying to the world ‘it’s not my fault, this is what diabetes can do to you’.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#13 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 19 January 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

I suppose the reality is they are both equally deserving of ridicule, regardless of gender, skin colour and political bias.
My issue with Abbott is instead of taking it on the chin she hid behind her diabetes. It’s hard enough managing the condition on a daily basis without someone making a really high profile fool of themselves, then saying to the world ‘it’s not my fault, this is what diabetes can do to you’.

She’s a clown, Corbyn is a clown. There is no credible opposition, the country is just in a mess

#14 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

View Posttimshorts, on 18 January 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

Yes, of course there is. However, as it would be based upon three sides losing almost every match and none of the other sides around us drawing a game to the end of the season it's not productive to bother calculating.

Besides, the plural of genius isn't genius's. It's a second declension Latin noun and not irregular.

You have to put an apostrophe in plurals these days, it's the done thing.

Language does evolve or we would all be talking like Shakespeare.

I tried to explain to one of the grandkids why an apostrophe in possessive " its " was wrong and failed, it doesn't make sense.

#15 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 19 January 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

You have to put an apostrophe in plurals these days, it's the done thing.

Language does evolve or we would all be talking like Shakespeare.

I tried to explain to one of the grandkids why an apostrophe in possessive " its " was wrong and failed, it doesn't make sense.

They need a good English teacher

#16 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

View PostToddhopper., on 19 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Wow... Just wow.....
I make a joke about a politician, who is well known for not being too good with her sums.
And you brandish the race card.
Wow... Just wow

And fwiw. I knew HS2 was going to be over budget but I didn't know any quoted figures or who had quoted them.

And finally Jeremy Corbyn is an IRA supporting anti-semite. So now I hate men and white people too.

This post has been edited by born in 1866: 19 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#17 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

Last 3 seasons the last team to survive had needed 48,49,and 50 points to survive so 51 keeps you up for sure, that's another 25 points, or nigh on double what we got so far. So if we win 9 on the bounce that's the earliest we will be safe
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

#18 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 19 January 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

And that’s a fair reason. I don’t think the average bloke on twitter is citing diabetes as the difference between the two of them though.

#19 User is offline   timshorts 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostNorton Blue, on 19 January 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

Well your logic is ok for a bit, but the hint was in the previous post.

If there are 24 sides in the league, the starting point is to assume that there is no need for the sides finishing in positions 22, 23 and 24 to take a point off any of the other 21. Hence, all 21 start with those six wins and 18 points. The other 21 then play the remaining 20 sides home and away. They all win 20 and lose 20 = another 60 points. All 21 sides then finish level on 18 + 60 = 78 points.

There's a bit of a drop off for Premier League sides. There you could go down with 12 + 51 = 63 points, and in Div 2 it's 6 + 66 = 72 points.

Anyhow, this is all a bit of fantasy. If we had Klopp managing, Pep as assistant, they'd have struggled to get us to 78 points without a change in the rules to say that:-
(Fouls on Denton) + (in the box) = penalty.

#20 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

View Postborn in 1866, on 19 January 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

Wow... Just wow.....
I make a joke about a politician, who is well known for not being too good with her sums.
And you brandish the race card.
Wow... Just wow

And fwiw. I knew HS2 was going to be over budget but I didn't know any quoted figures or who had quoted them.

And finally Jeremy Corbyn is an IRA supporting anti-semite. So now I hate men and white people too.

Just wow. Abbott is not well known for making mathematical errors. All this stems from one particular error. You should ask yourself why you choose to repeat the meme that has grown from that error & not any other of the hundreds of politicians who make errors. You can bleat all you like about my post being unfair but the fact is, you went there & poor likkle diddums doesn't like it when his likkle prejudices get challenged.
As for the rest of the nonsense you just trotted out, well don't let a little digging stop you from repeating the same old tory media lies.
If 2% of the sh*t that Corbyn has been accused of were true, he would long ago have been serving time.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users