• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Caldwell Has a job!

#21 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

Jeremy Corbyn and David Hasselhoff amongst Particks more famous supporters, according to Wiki.

#22 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

Patrick thistle are third bottom. Lump on them being relegated
A new hope.

#23 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

Chairman Jacqui Low said the club were "blown away by Gary's interview preparation".

"In the space of a week, he had done an analysis of each player, identified a training schedule to deal with the fitness levels and pulled together a vision of how to get Thistle playing well enough to secure promotion," she added.

"Put simply, he plans to build a strong defence that allows us to then push forward and play attacking football."

I Partickularly love "put simply". I'm wondering who is going to take on the Sam Hird role of asking what the eff in hell they're all supposed to be doing.

#24 User is offline   BurySpireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:House, CFC & Reddit.

Newcastle based doc

RIP Bury FC + Barry Chuckle

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

Presume it's already been discussed but anyone seen what he's got to say about his time at town here? https://www.coachesv...c-chesterfield/

Bit about us at the end...

"Very early on at Chesterfield, it felt like I was caught in a negative cycle that I couldn’t get out of.

I don’t regret taking the job, though."

We B****Y well do Gary!
I just don't know what I'm supposed to be

#25 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 16 October 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

Presumably, given the timing, he's had to step up his efforts to find work as we'll have just finished paying him?

Edit: Also some 'journo' on twitter has tweeted him wishing him all the best, adding he was treated harshly by us and Wigan!

I've had my little say!

So did I.

#26 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the capacity of folk occupying Boardrooms to ignore reality...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#27 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostBurySpireite, on 16 October 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Presume it's already been discussed but anyone seen what he's got to say about his time at town here? https://www.coachesv...c-chesterfield/

Bit about us at the end...

"Very early on at Chesterfield, it felt like I was caught in a negative cycle that I couldn’t get out of.

I don’t regret taking the job, though."

We B****Y well do Gary!

He was given the job because we were on the way down. He was supposed to save us. What did he think was going on?

Had someone better send him the Scottish Championship table sharpish?. Saturday is what is known as a relegation three-pointer.

And here's a clue ..... if your team can mark a guy called Trouten out of the game, you'll probably win. Otherwise that old negative cycle might be kicking in.

Maryhill born actor Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, The Full Monty and The 51st State) is also a famous supporter, stating he would rather watch the Jags than watch Arsenal or Manchester United. Now that is one thing Gary will quickly be able to change ..... this really will be reminiscent of your mate disappearing down a toilet.

This post has been edited by Albert Holmes Slides In: 16 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

#28 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

View Postinkyblue, on 15 October 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

The Board of Partick Thistle has announced that Gary Caldwell is the Club’s new manager and will take up the role with immediate effect. Brian Kerr will also join the Club as assistant manager.

Caldwell, 36, had a successful playing career and was capped 55 times for Scotland before moving in to management. His first role was at Wigan, where he guided them to the League One title and promotion to the Championship at the first time of asking. His time at Wigan was followed by a short spell at Chesterfield where, having been appointed half way through the season, he was not given the resources he had been promised to stop the club being relegated.

Not given the resources must be a :windup

Partick Thistle have now removed the comment about him not being backed after being provided with the facts from this end.

#29 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

View Postmoondog, on 16 October 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

Partick Thistle have now removed the comment about him not being backed after being provided with the facts from this end.

From well meaning fans or from the club itself moondog?...also maybe that's made them think a bit?
East stand second class citizen.

#30 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 16 October 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

From well meaning fans or from the club itself moondog?...also maybe that's made them think a bit?

A complaint from the club

#31 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

View Postmoondog, on 16 October 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

Fair play on that one then.
East stand second class citizen.

#32 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:31 PM

View Postinkyblue, on 15 October 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

The Board of Partick Thistle has announced that Gary Caldwell is the Club’s new manager and will take up the role with immediate effect. Brian Kerr will also join the Club as assistant manager.

Caldwell, 36, had a successful playing career and was capped 55 times for Scotland before moving in to management. His first role was at Wigan, where he guided them to the League One title and promotion to the Championship at the first time of asking. His time at Wigan was followed by a short spell at Chesterfield where, having been appointed half way through the season, he was not given the resources he had been promised to stop the club being relegated.

Not given the resources must be a :windup

GC's time here was no doubt horrific. Me personally, I don't lay all the blame at his door. GB has a hell of a lot to answer for and other factors more than likely played a part.

So, here's putting a spin on it.

At Wigan, would anyone agree he was successful. IMO, yes.

So, on paper, we look like we are getting a decent manager. I thought it was a cracking signing.

Unfortunately, he couldn't cope with having the highs at Wigan with the lows at Chesterfield and, I believe when he says, the negative cycle that was and may be is still here.
Do we think DA & AC promised the earth and then delivered it to him in a bucket?
Chuck in The Pickle. For me, seemed like a guy who had the credibality of a used car sales man, and would be happy to 'throw you under the bus' and go whispering for his own gain.
Remember the picture of him and GC shaking hands. One looked like the cat who got the cream, the other looking like he detected a trump in a lift.

Sure, GC was more than likely the wrong fit. Fall out with senior players and tactics players didn't understand or felt were plain gash ect ect on top of player being offered up by The Pickle - was he mates with AC too? May be giving a little report to his pal on his take how things were going?
Who knows.

Maybe his 'resources' he didn't get were certain player recruitment. He wanted Player X but told Player Y or Z was on the table.
Who knows.

But one thing is for sure, I'll keep an eye on how GC will be doing at Thistle. It be a turn up if he manages to sort then out.
One success at a well backed and run club.
One failure at...well, at us
Chalk and cheese comparison.

Thistle, time will tell

This post has been edited by danblue: 16 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

#33 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:48 PM

View Postdanblue, on 16 October 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

GC's time here was no doubt horrific. Me personally, I don't lay all the blame at his door. GB has a hell of a lot to answer for and other factors more than likely played a part.

So, here's putting a spin on it.

At Wigan, would anyone agree he was successful. IMO, yes.

So, on paper, we look like we are getting a decent manager. I thought it was a cracking signing.

Unfortunately, he couldn't cope with having the highs at Wigan with the lows at Chesterfield and, I believe when he says, the negative cycle that was and may be is still here.
Do we think DA & AC promised the earth and then delivered it to him in a bucket?
Chuck in The Pickle. For me, seemed like a guy who had the credibality of a used car sales man, and would be happy to 'throw you under the bus' and go whispering for his own gain.
Remember the picture of him and GC shaking hands. One looked like the cat who got the cream, the other looking like he detected a trump in a lift.

Sure, GC was more than likely the wrong fit. Fall out with senior players and tactics players didn't understand or felt were plain gash ect ect on top of player being offered up by The Pickle - was he mates with AC too? May be giving a little report to his pal on his take how things were going?
Who knows.

Maybe his 'resources' he didn't get were certain player recruitment. He wanted Player X but told Player Y or Z was on the table.
Who knows.

But one thing is for sure, I'll keep an eye on how GC will be doing at Thistle. It be a turn up if he manages to sort then out.
One success at a well backed and run club.
One failure at...well, at us
Chalk and cheese comparison.

Thistle, time will tell

His tenure in the Championship at Wigan was deemed a failure by his boss, and many of their fans, hence his sacking after 14 games. And the vast amount of wages paid by the club compared to others in L1 has been well reported on here, utterly dwarfing the payroll bill of clubs like ours.
If he succeeds at Patrick, it will be the biggest shock since Foinavon won the National.

#34 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:29 PM

View Postmoondog, on 16 October 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

Ha ha. I'll applaud that genuinely. Now, if only those same people hadn't appointed him in the first place.

#35 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:26 AM

View Postmoondog, on 16 October 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

I think every manager between Cooke and Allen would say they have not been backed. If Carson can provide another club with the 'facts', perhaps he can provide them to us and maybe we can also extend the discussion to both financial and non-financial backing.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#36 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

I don't think Saunders has an excuse and Caldwell could blame Branston at best

for squandering his budget

#37 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

One of the worst managers Town have had with some shocking player recruitment. Leaders have personality and charisma something he lacked.
Good luck to Partick Thistle, they'll need it.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 17 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

#38 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

View Postdim view, on 17 October 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

I think every manager between Cooke and Allen would say they have not been backed. If Carson can provide another club with the 'facts', perhaps he can provide them to us and maybe we can also extend the discussion to both financial and non-financial backing.

I'm informed the Partick CEO was given details of our playing budget, how many players Caldwell was able to sign and the cost. The offending paragraph was removed within 30 minutes of the details being received.

#39 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

View Postmoondog, on 17 October 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

I'm informed the Partick CEO was given details of our playing budget, how many players Caldwell was able to sign and the cost. The offending paragraph was removed within 30 minutes of the details being received.

It looks as though they are following the Chesterfield FC model of due diligence before making key decisions.

#40 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

View Postdim view, on 17 October 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

I did ask, but understandably have only given the budget figure £2.2m, believed to be the third highest in league 2.

Share this topic:

• (34 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users