• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hire Cars Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

Is there anyone on here, or in fact anywhere, that understands the world of booking a hire car abroad, specifically the US? Travelling to California flying into San Francisco then a few a week in a couple of places near Lake Tahoe before back to San Fran with the brother in law and his family so 6 of us in total of which one is my daughter who will be nearly 2 and my niece who will be 9. Planning on getting one of the big 4x4s that seat up to 7 or 8 (or if i really have to a "minivan" but trying to avoid that) but having done some searches on the various company sites direct then comparison sites i'm a bit lost in what i need in terms of all the add ons such as collision damage waiver etc. Speaking to the father in law he has recommended getting separate insurance which brings the cost down a lot so probably do that but again not sure where that leaves me what i need to be including with the booking then not getting talked into getting at the desk when i pick it up.

Currently found a deal with Dollar via a comparison site for a GMC Yukon or similar which basically means that or a Nissan Pathfinder\Ford Expedition by the looks of it which should be plenty big enough. The deal includes :-

Third Party Liability
Airport Surcharge
Collision Damage Waiver
24 hour assistance
Theft Protection
Unlimited Mileage
Fair Fuel Policy

I'll need to pay extra for a seat for our 2 year old but not going to bother with Sat Nav etc as we'll use a phone or failing that do it old school with a map as we managed to do that fine when we were in Boston a few years ago.

This post has been edited by JonB: 26 June 2019 - 07:28 AM

#2 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostJonB, on 26 June 2019 - 07:27 AM, said:

Is there anyone on here, or in fact anywhere, that understands the world of booking a hire car abroad, specifically the US? Travelling to California flying into San Francisco then a few a week in a couple of places near Lake Tahoe before back to San Fran with the brother in law and his family so 6 of us in total of which one is my daughter who will be nearly 2 and my niece who will be 9. Planning on getting one of the big 4x4s that seat up to 7 or 8 (or if i really have to a "minivan" but trying to avoid that) but having done some searches on the various company sites direct then comparison sites i'm a bit lost in what i need in terms of all the add ons such as collision damage waiver etc. Speaking to the father in law he has recommended getting separate insurance which brings the cost down a lot so probably do that but again not sure where that leaves me what i need to be including with the booking then not getting talked into getting at the desk when i pick it up.

Currently found a deal with Dollar via a comparison site for a GMC Yukon or similar which basically means that or a Nissan Pathfinder\Ford Expedition by the looks of it which should be plenty big enough. The deal includes :-

Third Party Liability
Airport Surcharge
Collision Damage Waiver
24 hour assistance
Theft Protection
Unlimited Mileage
Fair Fuel Policy

I'll need to pay extra for a seat for our 2 year old but not going to bother with Sat Nav etc as we'll use a phone or failing that do it old school with a map as we managed to do that fine when we were in Boston a few years ago.

Yes
Just driven from San Francisco to Colorado. Booked direct (phone) with Avis in UK. More details later after consultation with my missus who did the booking.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#3 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 26 June 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Yes
Just driven from San Francisco to Colorado. Booked direct (phone) with Avis in UK. More details later after consultation with my missus who did the booking.

Thanks....choice of car etc i'm fine with its just the varying details relating to insurance etc and not getting stung if anything happened. Reading around this separate insurance is the way to go but not sure what i then need from the hire car company.

#4 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

View PostJonB, on 26 June 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Thanks....choice of car etc i'm fine with its just the varying details relating to insurance etc and not getting stung if anything happened. Reading around this separate insurance is the way to go but not sure what i then need from the hire car company.

I know you can save a few quid by taking the extra insurance elsewhere but I prefer it all under one roof - that way, there is no debate when you hand it back, all covered and doesn’t even need checking...

Enjoy the holiday - loved San Fran and surroundings. We had an Xtrail - god it was dull!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#5 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:42 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 June 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

I know you can save a few quid by taking the extra insurance elsewhere but I prefer it all under one roof - that way, there is no debate when you hand it back, all covered and doesn’t even need checking...

Enjoy the holiday - loved San Fran and surroundings. We had an Xtrail - god it was dull!

Had a Jeep Cherokee in Gran Canaria last year...it was awful!! Big and clunky to drive which wasnt a good mix with the mountain roads we took a trip on.

#6 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

You can save by purchasing excess waiver insurance here. A few quid a day at most rather than the fortune they’d try and take off you. Only different being you’d initially have to pay it and then claim it back.

#7 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 June 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

You can save by purchasing excess waiver insurance here. A few quid a day at most rather than the fortune they’d try and take off you. Only different being you’d initially have to pay it and then claim it back.

Yep thats the option i've been looking at so if i understand it correctly i just take the basic stuff offered when booking and then when they try to flog me the additional insurance at the desk i can say no as i've got my own and then deal with any issues as you say. Reading up i think i'd just need to leave a large deposit via a hold on my credit card when collecting the car to cover any issues that is then either released if no issues or used to pay any fees on return of the car and i claim back.

#8 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

View PostJonB, on 26 June 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Yep thats the option i've been looking at so if i understand it correctly i just take the basic stuff offered when booking and then when they try to flog me the additional insurance at the desk i can say no as i've got my own and then deal with any issues as you say. Reading up i think i'd just need to leave a large deposit via a hold on my credit card when collecting the car to cover any issues that is then either released if no issues or used to pay any fees on return of the car and i claim back.

I've had an annual excess policy for about the last 10 years, took out the latest last night noticed when getting quotes which I recommend that you could get worldwide including USA for under £40 well worth it.

I've had to claim twice, no issues in the insurance company paying up

#9 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

Our main concern was that we picked up in SF and dropped off 4 states away in Denver (1800 miles appx) and the number of different quote variations was incredible. We cracked and rang Avis direct who, we were informed had /have a no "drop off charge (googled UK number) they were exceptionally helpful. We booked over the phone and sorted what was necessary, as you say, we took CDW and 3rd party and unlimited milage, due to our travel distance. Fair fuel policy is receive full, return full, bearing in mind fuel gets cheaper the more inland you go SF was dear, so let them fill it up and make sure you put as little in as possible on your return . Like you we didn't bother with satnav, navigation is easy with planning.
When we completed the booking we asked whether there would be anymore unforeseen charges and was told no we asked for this to be put on the documentation that was emailed to us. Talk your needs through with them, we got the impression they wasn't on bonus unlike the airport personnel.

We stayed in SF for a few days and returned to the airport (30min on BART from Powell the most central stop) You will need to catch sky train to car hire centre on alighting the BART at the airport. The collection went smoothly (5min) and it was made clear we had nothing to pay as we was at the drop off in Denver. Unfortunately a week after our return Avis took €44 out of our a/c, (Airport taxes apparently,) after some interesting dialogue we got reimbursed. If you fancy the drive out of the city, rather than the easy motorway access from the air port ther is an Avis office on O'Farrell 5mins from Powell and very close to the best bar I found centrally "Bartlett Hall"

I hope you're prepared for some interesting walks it's hilly. The Muni bus service is very good, research. Have you sorted accommodation?

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 26 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#10 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:50 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 26 June 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Our main concern was that we picked up in SF and dropped off 4 states away in Denver (1800 miles appx) and the number of different quote variations was incredible. We cracked and rang Avis direct who, we were informed had /have a no "drop off charge (googled UK number) they were exceptionally helpful. We booked over the phone and sorted what was necessary, as you say, we took CDW and 3rd party and unlimited milage, due to our travel distance. Fair fuel policy is receive full, return full, bearing in mind fuel gets cheaper the more inland you go SF was dear, so let them fill it up and make sure you put as little in as possible on your return . Like you we didn't bother with satnav, navigation is easy with planning.
When we completed the booking we asked whether there would be anymore unforeseen charges and was told no we asked for this to be put on the documentation that was emailed to us. Talk your needs through with them, we got the impression they wasn't on bonus unlike the airport personnel.

We stayed in SF for a few days and returned to the airport (30min on BART from Powell the most central stop) You will need to catch sky train to car hire centre on alighting the BART at the airport. The collection went smoothly (5min) and it was made clear we had nothing to pay as we was at the drop off in Denver. Unfortunately a week after our return Avis took €44 out of our a/c, (Airport taxes apparently,) after some interesting dialogue we got reimbursed. If you fancy the drive out of the city, rather than the easy motorway access from the air port ther is an Avis office on O'Farrell 5mins from Powell and very close to the best bar I found centrally "Bartlett Hall"

I hope you're prepared for some interesting walks it's hilly. The Muni bus service is very good, research. Have you sorted accommodation?

We're picking up and dropping off in the same place so that should be fine but brother is having a similar issue on a separate trip, he's flying into Texas then heading to Colorado. A ring round a few of them may be worthwhile for both of us it would seem. Cheers for the info, gives me a bit more confidence as to what i'm booking. I'm sharing a hire car in France with my father in law in August so looking at the additional insurance for that as well, need to check whether one plan covering both or two separate is the way to go. With us flying in and getting straight out of SF i'll probably just sort straight from the airport as soon as we land.

We are flying into SF on the Thursday then straight on to a place in the Hope Valley about 30mins south of Lake Tahoe. This is where my wifes cousin is getting married and the main reason for the trip, quite a lot of the family heading over different ways and initially staying there before all going on to do different things. After a few days there we go to a place on Lake Tahoe with my inlaws and some others of the family until the Wednesday i think it is then we drive back towards SF. We looked around for accomodation and struggled as it was all really expensive and eventually settled on a house through AirBnB that is actually in Alameda which is a little island just off Oakland and across the bay from SF. They have a ferry terminal that runs regular ferries over to SF plus we'll have the car for going places. We are there until the Sunday when we fly back so 9/10 days we are away. Think we are definitely doing Alcatraz as my wife and her brother are both very keen to do that....they are obsessed with the film "The Rock"! Aside from there we've not made loads of plans for SF as yet but i hope to try and get to a baseball game as its the only sport option whilst we are in SF. The SF Giants are at home on the Thursday and Friday we are there.

#11 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:46 AM

Anyone hire cars over here at all?
Any recommendations or which forms to avoid etc?
Any tips etc?
Thinking of hiring on off for a while rather than get new motor until winter (maybe financially better for me as don't drive too much)

#12 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Being london based is it not worth looking at one of these car club type things? Basically you join and then you can request to use a car as and when and you collect it from a location and return to where ever when you are done. Suspect that would be cheaper than hiring cars on and off.

#13 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostJonB, on 27 June 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

We're picking up and dropping off in the same place so that should be fine but brother is having a similar issue on a separate trip, he's flying into Texas then heading to Colorado. A ring round a few of them may be worthwhile for both of us it would seem. Cheers for the info, gives me a bit more confidence as to what i'm booking. I'm sharing a hire car in France with my father in law in August so looking at the additional insurance for that as well, need to check whether one plan covering both or two separate is the way to go. With us flying in and getting straight out of SF i'll probably just sort straight from the airport as soon as we land.

We are flying into SF on the Thursday then straight on to a place in the Hope Valley about 30mins south of Lake Tahoe. This is where my wifes cousin is getting married and the main reason for the trip, quite a lot of the family heading over different ways and initially staying there before all going on to do different things. After a few days there we go to a place on Lake Tahoe with my inlaws and some others of the family until the Wednesday i think it is then we drive back towards SF. We looked around for accomodation and struggled as it was all really expensive and eventually settled on a house through AirBnB that is actually in Alameda which is a little island just off Oakland and across the bay from SF. They have a ferry terminal that runs regular ferries over to SF plus we'll have the car for going places. We are there until the Sunday when we fly back so 9/10 days we are away. Think we are definitely doing Alcatraz as my wife and her brother are both very keen to do that....they are obsessed with the film "The Rock"! Aside from there we've not made loads of plans for SF as yet but i hope to try and get to a baseball game as its the only sport option whilst we are in SF. The SF Giants are at home on the Thursday and Friday we are there.

Book early for alcatraz, don't be fooled if there's a lot of availability online a tour booking can wipe them out quickly. The cable car (as seen in films) from Powell to Hyde @ $7 appears dear but well worth it. Expect a queue. At Hyde stroll down Fisherman's Warf, peir49 and the Musee Mechanique (amusements)free apart from machine coinage should be visited for the kids, then onto peir 39 shops, bars, seals. You can get back to the centre from here Muni bus, we legged through Chinatown. You can walk the bridge, beware it can be sunny in SF but the bridge fog bound. Google, Haights Asworth area the origin of the hippy movement, 60s shops bars and runs into Golden Gate Park.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#14 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 27 June 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Book early for alcatraz, don't be fooled if there's a lot of availability online a tour booking can wipe them out quickly. The cable car (as seen in films) from Powell to Hyde @ $7 appears dear but well worth it. Expect a queue. At Hyde stroll down Fisherman's Warf, peir49 and the Musee Mechanique (amusements)free apart from machine coinage should be visited for the kids, then onto peir 39 shops, bars, seals. You can get back to the centre from here Muni bus, we legged through Chinatown. You can walk the bridge, beware it can be sunny in SF but the bridge fog bound. Google, Haights Asworth area the origin of the hippy movement, 60s shops bars and runs into Golden Gate Park.

Other half has booked Alcatraz about an hour ago so thats sorted. Cheers for the other tips!!

#15 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Have we all heard John Cooper Clarke doing “Hire Car”

Wondrous
JRID

#16 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 27 June 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Is there still that great record shop there? Amoeba Records.

#17 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:00 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 27 June 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Anyone hire cars over here at all?
Any recommendations or which forms to avoid etc?
Any tips etc?
Thinking of hiring on off for a while rather than get new motor until winter (maybe financially better for me as don't drive too much)

Ford Perry’s do a very good unlimited mileage deal, I do 3000 miles a month and it’s better deal to hire a car than lease one and they swap it for a new one after 15000 miles
Have passport will travel

#18 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

How much is that Benno?

#19 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

Alcatraz is a great trip, and I’d be very surprised if your car hasn’t already got sat nav fitted into it as standard.
I can’t remember the company but last year we picked up our car and asked to view it first to make sure everything fit in it. He started touting the add ins you spoke about earlier and we said we would have some of them but only if he gave us a free upgrade, it worked and saved us a few hundred on the price of the bigger car.
The car hire places tend to get very busy in SF so give yourself some time when you pick up and drop off.
Go and see the baseball if it’s on while you’re there, good afternoon out 👍
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#20 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 04 July 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

How much is that Benno?

PM sent
Have passport will travel

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1