Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Lester Factor! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Lester Factor!

#1 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

Out of all the names touted surely the name on everyone's lips is Jack Lester!!!?!?
I'm sure everyone appreciates the apprehension of this choice, due to his legendary status & not to tarnish that love in with the fans. However, if he thinks he has the balls to take it on, why should anyone get pessimistic?? He would know the dangers, the past history since Cook left & the disasters that have followed.
If he is rumoured to be interested, he surely has the sheer determination & confidence to make it work......is it a coincidence he was there on Saturday? Who knows??

By all accounts he is tipped for a bright future & why shouldn't his first steps cutting his teeth at a club he loves be a problem? He is in a win, win situation in my view.....he will undoubtedly bring in the fans, get the instant support & bring the buzz back.....it's what we need.....just like Cook did.
He is well respected & a players player...when he played & lit the place up, so did the players around him! That kind of influence is infectious & players love it.

Could he do it? Should he do it? Without being given chance no one knows....don't miss out on a golden nugget whilst we have the chance

Just my view

#2 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

You'll find there's been much debate on here already about Jack if you care to take a look at the new manager threads, not that your contribution isn't welcome.

#3 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 20 September 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

Out of all the names touted surely the name on everyone's lips is Jack Lester!!!?!?
I'm sure everyone appreciates the apprehension of this choice, due to his legendary status & not to tarnish that love in with the fans. However, if he thinks he has the balls to take it on, why should anyone get pessimistic?? He would know the dangers, the past history since Cook left & the disasters that have followed.
If he is rumoured to be interested, he surely has the sheer determination & confidence to make it work......is it a coincidence he was there on Saturday? Who knows??

By all accounts he is tipped for a bright future & why shouldn't his first steps cutting his teeth at a club he loves be a problem? He is in a win, win situation in my view.....he will undoubtedly bring in the fans, get the instant support & bring the buzz back.....it's what we need.....just like Cook did.
He is well respected & a players player...when he played & lit the place up, so did the players around him! That kind of influence is infectious & players love it.

Could he do it? Should he do it? Without being given chance no one knows....don't miss out on a golden nugget whilst we have the chance

Just my view

Q. If he has the balls to take it on, why should anyone get pessimistic?
A. Saunders and Caldwell clearly had the balls to take it on...

If he is rumoured to be interested, he surely has the sheer determination & confidence to make it work.
A. Saunders and Caldwell were confident and had the determination, they certainly were determined to stick to their guns on how to play the game. How did that work out...

Q. By all accounts he is tipped for a bright future & why shouldn't his first steps cutting his teeth at a club he loves be a problem?
A. Because CFC is taking the risk and has a lot to lose if it goes wrong! My personal opinion is this is not the ideal time to take risk on an unproven manager. I (personally) would rather have someone with a track record in the lower leagues.

There are no certainties, even someone with a proven track record in the lower divisions, but I personally would want to go down that route as it de-risks the situation. A few people have said Lester's done/doing a cracking job at Forest with the junior sides. I can't comment on that as I haven't seen these teams play but fair enough that provides some credentials for the role. But 'he was a legend', 'he was the best player we've had', 'he's confident', 'he loves the club' are not reasons to appoint a football manager.

#4 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 20 September 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

Just my view

We need a cunning old timer who's the footballing equivalent of Red Adair - Lester isn't that.

#5 User is offline   Hoare (400) 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

People keep saying, we need an experienced manager who knows the lower divisions, blah blah blah, even if you could find one, who has to be unemployed for us to be interested, do you think that manager would be stupid or desperate enough to come to Chesterfield ?

Jack Lester, rightly or wrongly is as good as its going to get.

Hoare (400)

#6 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

It really doesn't matter whether they are young or old, experienced or inexperienced, English or foreign, well known name or complete unknown, former player or no connection to the club, we just need someone to come in and get it right.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#7 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

There are only 70 or so jobs in the country as a football league manager and some of the sacked ones have been out of the hot seat for years. So even managing us has its pluses. Its a good opportunity for Jack to be a manager at a place where allowances will be made by fans, if he feels up for the challenge. He would have to be a Caldwellesque disaster to take us down.

#8 User is offline   jr1cfc 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 20 September 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

It really doesn't matter whether they are young or old, experienced or inexperienced, English or foreign, well known name or complete unknown, former player or no connection to the club, we just need someone to come in and get it right.

Well said!!
who cares what they've done or not done in the past it's what they do when they are here that matters.
There is no guarantees whoever we appoint

#9 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

We don't know for sure if (1) Jack will be offered the job and (2) if he will accept an offer

#10 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 20 September 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

We don't know for sure if (1) Jack will be offered the job and (2) if he will accept an offer

Of course. I don't think him being there with Page at the weekend was an accident though.

#11 User is offline   Rudeboy spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:29 AM

I think that the appointment of Jack would be a great option. Knows the club and fans as well as anyone, played the game at this level and lower in his last games, must be well connected with current players etc. he didn't have much respect of our club management due to his treatment in his latter days with us which was mainly due to Chris Turner, but who knows. He would obviously have the full backing of the fans and this would result in a massive feel good factor on and off the pitch. I cannot think of any other credible candidate that could match what Jack could bring. That's my mind up so I await in anticipation. One thing is for sure, we need someone sooner rather than later.

#12 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Unlikely to be Jack because of compensating Forest acc to dt. aAnd new manager to be in place by Cheltenham game end of September

#13 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Still don't want Lester here when the clubs in the pits, the ground will be empty, half the fanbase are gone and it just isn't the right time for me. I'd want him back when he'd have the backing of good crowds, a good board and a reasonable side. We have neither anymore, as much as i'd like to think he's bring back the stayaways, I doubt it would as most still have the excuse of Allen and Carson as a reason to stay away, even if Lester is bigger than both of those combined x100000

#14 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

Only a minority not going because of Allen and Carson. 5300 home fans v Grimsby. Its mainly about the product on the pitch.

#15 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostHoare (400), on 20 September 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

People keep saying, we need an experienced manager who knows the lower divisions, blah blah blah, even if you could find one, who has to be unemployed for us to be interested, do you think that manager would be stupid or desperate enough to come to Chesterfield ?

Jack Lester, rightly or wrongly is as good as its going to get.

Hoare (400)

Thing is if they want to be football league managers they cannot be overly picky about what jobs they go for. There is a finite number of jobs and they have to take whats available at the time. Difficult to just let one pass because they dont fancy it. Things havent been ideal for a while now but that hasnt stopped Saunders, Wilson and Caldwell taking the job. Wilson especially had a bit more to worry about being a former player of note and living in the town.

View PostSpire-Power, on 21 September 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

Unlikely to be Jack because of compensating Forest acc to dt. aAnd new manager to be in place by Cheltenham game end of September

How much compensation can they really want for a youth team coach? Its not like we're head hunting an employed manager or assistant. Suspect if he really wants it Lester could just walk away from Forest anyway.

#16 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostJonB, on 21 September 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Thing is if they want to be football league managers they cannot be overly picky about what jobs they go for. There is a finite number of jobs and they have to take whats available at the time. Difficult to just let one pass because they dont fancy it. Things havent been ideal for a while now but that hasnt stopped Saunders, Wilson and Caldwell taking the job. Wilson especially had a bit more to worry about being a former player of note and living in the town.

How much compensation can they really want for a youth team coach? Its not like we're head hunting an employed manager or assistant. Suspect if he really wants it Lester could just walk away from Forest anyway.

I found the compensation angle a little odd too.

#17 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostJonB, on 21 September 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Exactly he's only got to work his notice if they insist which shouldn't be long as Jack has a clear plan to be a manager,for me he's the obvious candidate and shouldn't be snubbed for an interview

#18 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

View PostCFC91, on 21 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Still don't want Lester here when the clubs in the pits, the ground will be empty, half the fanbase are gone and it just isn't the right time for me. I'd want him back when he'd have the backing of good crowds, a good board and a reasonable side. We have neither anymore, as much as i'd like to think he's bring back the stayaways, I doubt it would as most still have the excuse of Allen and Carson as a reason to stay away, even if Lester is bigger than both of those combined x100000

You don't generally get to appoint new managers when the going is good as it's usually when you've just binned someone off.

#19 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Does Jack actually want the Chesterfield job? We all (well most) seem to be pinning it on JL but has he said it himself he'd be interested?
* I know he can't flatly come out and say "yes, I've applied" as he's currently employed and it would probably be frowned upon.
But I'm sure someone in here either knows him or a mate of a mate (lol) would have heard

#20 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostDoughnut, on 20 September 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Q. If he has the balls to take it on, why should anyone get pessimistic?
A. Saunders and Caldwell clearly had the balls to take it on...

If he is rumoured to be interested, he surely has the sheer determination & confidence to make it work.
A. Saunders and Caldwell were confident and had the determination, they certainly were determined to stick to their guns on how to play the game. How did that work out...

Q. By all accounts he is tipped for a bright future & why shouldn't his first steps cutting his teeth at a club he loves be a problem?
A. Because CFC is taking the risk and has a lot to lose if it goes wrong! My personal opinion is this is not the ideal time to take risk on an unproven manager. I (personally) would rather have someone with a track record in the lower leagues.

There are no certainties, even someone with a proven track record in the lower divisions, but I personally would want to go down that route as it de-risks the situation. A few people have said Lester's done/doing a cracking job at Forest with the junior sides. I can't comment on that as I haven't seen these teams play but fair enough that provides some credentials for the role. But 'he was a legend', 'he was the best player we've had', 'he's confident', 'he loves the club' are not reasons to appoint a football manager.

Disagree with most of the above :)
Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users