Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Not Mentioned As Yet - The Big Ticket Issue - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not Mentioned As Yet - The Big Ticket Issue

#1 User is offline   Dotty Com 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Organising partner and kids in that order

Allotment - proper tasting veg!

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

Paul Cook and CFC don't have a lot of time to sort it out!

Our gates were just starting to move in the right direction driven by style of play and results.

The danger is that we go more defensive but still lose.

Defensive play will remove one pillar driving attendances and, of course, losing doesn't help.

Very quickly our already dodgy finances will come under pressure forcing Dave Allen to reduce costs.

Very quickly your in a downward spiral.

Lets get back to 4231, play widemen that can do both attacking and defensive duties, and yes, adjust the squad funds permitting.
A triumph of hope over expectation

#2 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

Sadly, these last two results have probably taken several hundred off our next two attendances.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#3 User is offline   Radders 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostDotty Com, on 25 October 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Paul Cook and CFC don't have a lot of time to sort it out!

Our gates were just starting to move in the right direction driven by style of play and results.

The danger is that we go more defensive but still lose.

Defensive play will remove one pillar driving attendances and, of course, losing doesn't help.

Very quickly our already dodgy finances will come under pressure forcing Dave Allen to reduce costs.

Very quickly your in a downward spiral.

Lets get back to 4231, play widemen that can do both attacking and defensive duties, and yes, adjust the squad funds permitting.

I was talking to a couple of people who I know who are - more of less - Sheff Wednesday fans (never go of course) - but they have been coming along to the proact and really enjoying it - they couldn't get enough of the sumptious football. There was even talk of season tickets - these are the people we can get - but will lose if we stop playing football

#4 User is offline   The informer 

• Mr Grumpy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc, West Ham fc,

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 25 October 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

Sadly, these last two results have probably taken several hundred off our next two attendances.

Why? you win some you lose some, we went through a similar period following Evo's debut at Morecambe last season. True fans will still come through the turnstiles.

#5 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostRadders, on 25 October 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

I was talking to a couple of people who I know who are - more of less - Sheff Wednesday fans (never go of course) - but they have been coming along to the proact and really enjoying it - they couldn't get enough of the sumptious football. There was even talk of season tickets - these are the people we can get - but will lose if we stop playing football

Excellent point. Its interesting to see how West Ham have performed this season, after the Chairman issued a 'start playing more attractive football or you are out' warning'. They have signed faster players, players who can actually play football, and look where they currently are in the League.

#6 User is online   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostThe informer, on 25 October 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

Why? you win some you lose some, we went through a similar period following Evo's debut at Morecambe last season. True fans will still come through the turnstiles.

Yes but the floaters won't and its those that bump the gates
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#7 User is offline   Dotty Com 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Organising partner and kids in that order

Allotment - proper tasting veg!

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 25 October 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Yes but the floaters won't and its those that bump the gates

Agreed. We need to keep the style and system. Its cover behind the bombing full backs that needs fixing.

Of course, we're at least one striker short - has needed fixing and still needs fixing.
A triumph of hope over expectation

#8 User is offline   meowdmucker 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

You are totally missing his point. It's not 'true fans' he's talking about, it's the ones who aren't fully converted.

#9 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Do more to attract kids then. Drop prices to a fiver for all kids under school leaving age. They're the true target audience, the ones to grab and turn into town fans before they get their heads turned. Obviously a fine line before you start losing money doing it so judging it right needs a bit of effort. At least there would be more chance of getting a lot more in the ground. All about balance I guess.

#10 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

its not "true fans" you need to worry about - its the casuals walk in or those who have attended more games you need to worry about. Its these that make the dfference between 6500 and 7000 and success and failure. Your view is so shorted.
A new hope.

#11 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Good original post but I disagree slightly in that I don't think PC should be put under pressure to be responsible for attendances being under the budgeted amount.

He has to be allowed to manage the football side, and the board/chairman must support him in that regard.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#12 User is offline   Crack 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

Sure. True Blues will turn up as always but the trouble is us "true blues" are not sufficient numbers in this league. We need to attract more but also keep the new fans that the attractive football has gleaned us. Defensive style loses newly acquired fans and that's a fact.

#13 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostCrack, on 27 October 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Sure. True Blues will turn up as always but the trouble is us "true blues" are not sufficient numbers in this league. We need to attract more but also keep the new fans that the attractive football has gleaned us. Defensive style loses newly acquired fans and that's a fact.

Losing matches loses fans, winning matches gains fans

#14 User is offline   GSpire 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 27 October 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Losing matches loses fans, winning matches gains fans

True, when it comes to attendances good results will improve gates. However I agree with the sentiment of this thread that attractive football is more likely to bring new faces in. Wins are appreciated by existing fans but exciting football gets folks hooked in the first place.

In an area such as ours there are plenty of floating fans who will go where the entertaining football is and we need to get em in.

Think back to both Duncan eras. Even in the more successful seasons with JD, the brand of football on offer didn't exactly bring the crowds in.
However the Cox era and the decent football on offer doubled attendances and got new people through the turnstiles - I was one of them.

Up until the Colchester match our losses and draws (apart from Donnie) have all been against teams high up in the league. I think it is important that PC keeps going with the type of football that he knows best.

We had a period last year when we had a wobble and PC dabbled with a more cautious approach but it didnt work then and I dont see it working now.

Keep the faith in your brand of football please Mr Cook.

This post has been edited by GSpire: 27 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

#15 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

View PostGSpire, on 27 October 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

True, when it comes to attendances good results will improve gates. However I agree with the sentiment of this thread that attractive football is more likely to bring new faces in. Wins are appreciated by existing fans but exciting football gets folks hooked in the first place.

In an area such as ours there are plenty of floating fans who will go where the entertaining football is and we need to get em in.

Think back to both Duncan eras. Even in the more successful seasons with JD, the brand of football on offer didn't exactly bring the crowds in.
However the Cox era and the decent football on offer doubled attendances and got new people through the turnstiles - I was one of them.

Up until the Colchester match our losses and draws (apart from Donnie) have all been against teams high up in the league. I think it is important that PC keeps going with the type of football that he knows best.

We had a period last year when we had a wobble and PC dabbled with a more cautious approach but it didnt work then and I dont see it working now.

Keep the faith in your brand of football please Mr Cook.

Was Duncan pushing for the Championship with a highly expensive team? Under Cox it was entertaining and we were winning. People won't come week out if you are the wrong end of the table no matter how entertaining it is. There has to be a balance. If you win the big local derbies, high profile games, when a big crowd is in with a good atmosphere, that does as much as anything to get them back in

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users