• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Covid 19

#41 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

I agree that it is daft that I could attend Belper yesterday along with 400 others, but that the National League have to close their doors completely..... however,
is anyone else having a hard time feeling sorry for Championship clubs who pay their players an average of 16k per week (last season’s figure)?
These go to eleven.

#42 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

Siberian Spireite, on 27 September 2020 - 09:14 AM, said:

I agree that it is daft that I could attend Belper yesterday along with 400 others, but that the National League have to close their doors completely..... however,
is anyone else having a hard time feeling sorry for Championship clubs who pay their players an average of 16k per week (last season’s figure)?

What happens next week in the FA Cup with teams from the 'elite'? National League North and South being drawn against clubs who have been allowed spectators so far, ie Alfreton at Colville?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#43 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

clarevoyant., on 27 September 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

What happens next week in the FA Cup with teams from the 'elite'? National League North and South being drawn against clubs who have been allowed spectators so far, ie Alfreton at Colville?

Last I read it was awaiting a ruling from the FA.

#44 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

Westbars Spireite, on 27 September 2020 - 09:29 AM, said:

Last I read it was awaiting a ruling from the FA.

They'd better get their fingers out with games starting friday.
With the draw pairing elite teams together will they conclude that spectators aren't allowed otherwise a precedent will be set for allowing spectators at elite level league games?.thus denying valuable income to clubs drawn together not falling into the 'elite' bracket?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#45 User is offline   SALTERGATE 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

Saw photographs yesterday of Moondog trip to Matlock, little sign of social distancing in the crowd of 450, several areas of ground without distancing especially near clubhouse. Our stadium is better equipped to enforce the ruling than non-elite set ups

#46 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

SALTERGATE, on 27 September 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

Saw photographs yesterday of Moondog trip to Matlock, little sign of social distancing in the crowd of 450, several areas of ground without distancing especially near clubhouse. Our stadium is better equipped to enforce the ruling than non-elite set ups

What’s it supposed to be, 1m plus away (if possible) from someone not in your household effectively? Not sure I could see evidence of anyone clearly breaching those rules.

#47 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

SALTERGATE, on 27 September 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

The really bonkers thing was that drinks bought in clubhouse had to be consumed inside although you couldn’t get in without a mask - that is just about 100% opposite to pub rules. Last match they only allowed 6 queuing inside and forced people to queue outside which seemed quite sensible.

The only place where people paid attention to social distance was in the seating areas.

I’m not convinced the non league scene will continue with crowds if things get much worse
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#48 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

azul, on 27 September 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

The really bonkers thing was that drinks bought in clubhouse had to be consumed inside although you couldn’t get in without a mask - that is just about 100% opposite to pub rules. Last match they only allowed 6 queuing inside and forced people to queue outside which seemed quite sensible.

The only place where people paid attention to social distance was in the seating areas.

I’m not convinced the non league scene will continue with crowds if things get much worse

They'd have been better selling cans outside surely.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 27 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

#49 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:12 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 27 September 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

They'd have been better selling cans outside surely.

Beer cans the pitch? Anyway not if you like your ale, they normally have a couple on. It is very civilised watching the game with a pint in your hand.

I suspect it will be back to normal next game

#50 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

azul, on 27 September 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

Beer cans the pitch? Anyway not if you like your ale, they normally have a couple on. It is very civilised watching the game with a pint in your hand.

I suspect it will be back to normal next game

I wouldn't be expecting a decent pint in a place like that but I've been surprised before.

#51 User is offline   Freddie 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 27 September 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

What’s it supposed to be, 1m plus away (if possible) from someone not in your household effectively? Not sure I could see evidence of anyone clearly breaching those rules.

Yes, I understand that is it. Stay 2m distance from anyone not in your household, or 1m plus face covering if 2m is not possible. If it is possible to observe the 2m rule then that should apply.

#52 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:53 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 27 September 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

I wouldn't be expecting a decent pint in a place like that but I've been surprised before.

Be surprised then, two decently kept real ales plus the normal fizz and an expensive Czech lager, which is as good as lager gets. However if you are a Carling man, it is as bad as anywhere else. You have to remember it’s a social club and not just a match day bar. I have even taken a G&T (ice and lemon) pitch side (not for me!)

This post has been edited by azul: 28 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

#53 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:14 PM

Can administrators (eg at Wigan) simply cancel players’ contracts? I guess not, but if they can, perhaps a solution for the National League may be to suspend this season, put all clubs into administration, and cancel all player contracts until crowds are permitted? At least the clubs would survive, then. Also, we could clear the dross currently on our books.

Clubs below National League level would probably be okay anyway, were a stricter lockdown to curtail crowds, as so few of their players are on contracts, and only get paid to play.

Premier League clubs were not shy of declaring how broadcasting revenue dwarfs gate revenue, even before Covid, and should be okay as long as people keep paying their Sky bills, though the game is killing itself with VAR.

Championship clubs have been run according to the economics of the madhouse for a long time, foreign backers chucking silly money at middling players in pursuit of the Premier League dollar. If those owners have to foot the bill for their largesse, so be it. I do feel for the Accrington and Burton type clubs who have ended up without gate revenue, though I’m really not sure the taxpayer should be bailing them out.
These go to eleven.

#54 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

azul, on 28 September 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

Be surprised then, two decently kept real ales plus the normal fizz and an expensive Czech lager, which is as good as lager gets. However if you are a Carling man, it is as bad as anywhere else. You have to remember it’s a social club and not just a match day bar. I have even taken a G&T (ice and lemon) pitch side (not for me!)

I will drink Carling if absolutely nothing else (last time would have been at a home game I guess) but I’d take a G&T over it on most occasions.

#55 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:26 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 28 September 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

I will drink Carling if absolutely nothing else (last time would have been at a home game I guess) but I’d take a G&T over it on most occasions.

Too crowded to be bothered with it when CFC play there (unless Jeeves has driven me and I tip him to queue for me). I remember they tried to have a bar outside but it was 30 degrees and the beer didn’t like it. The cans in a barrel was the best idea but they stopped doing that - all hypothetical now of course

#56 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:09 PM

Siberian Spireite, on 28 September 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

Can administrators (eg at Wigan) simply cancel players’ contracts? I guess not, but if they can, perhaps a solution for the National League may be to suspend this season, put all clubs into administration, and cancel all player contracts until crowds are permitted? At least the clubs would survive, then. Also, we could clear the dross currently on our books.

Clubs below National League level would probably be okay anyway, were a stricter lockdown to curtail crowds, as so few of their players are on contracts, and only get paid to play.

Premier League clubs were not shy of declaring how broadcasting revenue dwarfs gate revenue, even before Covid, and should be okay as long as people keep paying their Sky bills, though the game is killing itself with VAR.

Championship clubs have been run according to the economics of the madhouse for a long time, foreign backers chucking silly money at middling players in pursuit of the Premier League dollar. If those owners have to foot the bill for their largesse, so be it. I do feel for the Accrington and Burton type clubs who have ended up without gate revenue, though I’m really not sure the taxpayer should be bailing them out.

A group administration was discussed on a football finance podcast and if all agrees the verdict was that it would be possible.

#57 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:16 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 28 September 2020 - 06:09 PM, said:

A group administration was discussed on a football finance podcast and if all agrees the verdict was that it would be possible.

Thanks- was that the Kevin Day/Kieran Maguire Price of Football podcast?
These go to eleven.

#58 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:18 PM

Siberian Spireite, on 28 September 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

Thanks- was that the Kevin Day/Kieran Maguire Price of Football podcast?

That’s the one. The only podcast I listen to week in week out. It was in the context of the Championship, the expected stumbling block if there was any desire for it being a requirement for it being unanimous.

#59 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 28 September 2020 - 07:18 PM, said:

That’s the one. The only podcast I listen to week in week out. It was in the context of the Championship, the expected stumbling block if there was any desire for it being a requirement for it being unanimous.

Any employment lawyers on here may wish to comment, but presumably players would have to be paid in full in the administration period (and for a lot of clubs players wages is clearly their main cost) or they could walk away and talk to any club they liked.
I suppose the hope is all players would be happy to take a drop in wages and still honour the agreed length of their contracts.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users