Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Average League 2 Attendances By Ratio Of Population - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Average League 2 Attendances By Ratio Of Population

#21 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 March 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

We aren't alone. It's common in the Premier League and less so the further you drop.

I went to the Emirates the other week. Clearly at least 15k empty seats but 58k official attendance.

I'm sure someone posted evidence from Hull earlier this season, wherby they anounced attendance at the game (which was tickets sold) and then a few days in to the week, they publish the actual attendance.

#22 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 21 March 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

I'm sure someone posted evidence from Hull earlier this season, wherby they anounced attendance at the game (which was tickets sold) and then a few days in to the week, they publish the actual attendance.

Greater Manchester Police published Man United's actual attendances game by game a few years ago. All, officially, were within 1000 or so of the capacity.

The number of actual attendees though was as much as 15,000 off with the only genuine 70k crowds being Liverpool, Man City and Real Madrid.

#23 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

It's stories like the one in the link below, that is fake news, as there can no longer be any true comparison with historical data when an attendance meant exactly that, in fact due to the inconsistencies in what club's can report there can be no true current comparisons either.

The EFL publish the figure the club's give them which can include no shows, whilst they do collect the actual figure from the club's they won't publish these - I've asked, they simply say contact the clubs to get the info

http://www.skysports...ures-since-1959

#24 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

View Postmoondog, on 21 March 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

It's stories like the one in the link below, that is fake news, as there can no longer be any true comparison with historical data when an attendance meant exactly that, in fact due to the inconsistencies in what club's can report there can be no true current comparisons either.

The EFL publish the figure the club's give them which can include no shows, whilst they do collect the actual figure from the club's they won't publish these - I've asked, they simply say contact the clubs to get the info

there is no such thing as true comparisons with historical data in any sport, no matter what metrics you are measuring - so all records are false news

and you did, and the answer is 500+/game

This post has been edited by azul: 21 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#25 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

There's always reasons people can't get to events - matches/gigs/festivals etc. Even sold out events.
Could be train strike/M1 closed/ time changed for TV/ wife pregnant etc etc.
Surely the only figure anyone needs is amount of tickets sold. Actual bodies in a ground is irrelevant to anyone (except maybe the safety officer or whatever)

#26 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

Calvinplummer (top player btw) we've disagreed in the past but I think tickets sold Is right as well.

I understand the importance of counting non attendees for a sense of reality I think westbars is right to a degree but in terms of "attendance" maybe giving both figures is the way forward publish the latter on the site

#27 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

View Postazul, on 21 March 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

there is no such thing as true comparisons with historical data in any sport, no matter what metrics you are measuring - so all records are false news

and you did, and the answer is 500+/game

An attendance is not sporting data, it's simply a count of how many people attended an event.

The article I posted up is fake news fact

#28 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:09 PM

View Postmoondog, on 21 March 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

The actual attendance figures will be declassified in 30 years time.

#29 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:05 AM

View Postmoondog, on 21 March 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

An attendance is not sporting data, it's simply a count of how many people attended an event.

The article I posted up is fake news fact

Fiddling mechanical turnstiles to understate attendances was easy in the last century, so comparisons of attendances between 1977 and 2017 could be flawed

Pity, I was going to write a thesis on it

#30 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:19 AM

View Postazul, on 22 March 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Fiddling mechanical turnstiles to understate attendances was easy in the last century, so comparisons of attendances between 1977 and 2017 could be flawed

Pity, I was going to write a thesis on it

Comparatively, over stating attendance is a modern phenomenon, allegedly so 'dirty' money can be put in to a club and come out clean?

#31 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:34 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 22 March 2018 - 12:19 AM, said:

Comparatively, over stating attendance is a modern phenomenon, allegedly so 'dirty' money can be put in to a club and come out clean?

I'll add that to my thesis - no plagiarism intended

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users