• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Staveley Works old footage - better than footy

#1 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

I know its off topic - but there's nothing else worth talking about.

Went walking the other day for the first time in about 25 years along the canal to the hub(the one at Hollingwood)

Found some footage here of the old station and Staveley works in 1986 - looking back towards whittingon etc...

Still quite a vibe to this place, although long gone - of a murky industrial past of slag heaps and waste land at the bottom of New Whitt to Brim

https://www.youtube....h?v=5s0jhgUAuZs

#2 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:19 AM

Even more vibe here. Opening in 1953 of the Staveley Works Sports Stadium. Look at the crowds.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=OGSKiF-0yAc

#3 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

Magnificent video that one. Not sure about the claim of 'sixty-thousand' being there but there's a good few.

They used to have car-boots there in the late 80s? Vaguely recall going on a Sunday monrning as a kid.

#4 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 27 November 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

Magnificent video that one. Not sure about the claim of 'sixty-thousand' being there but there's a good few.

They used to have car-boots there in the late 80s? Vaguely recall going on a Sunday monrning as a kid.

The opening of the sports ground was in 1952 and with my father working at Staveley Works I was told later that I was present at the opening in my push chair

The track round the football cricket and hockey pitches was a banked cycle track which attracted the top cyclists of the day

There was also a 220 yard straight running track which was the only one in the country at the time and top sprinter Mcdonald Bailey ran on the opening day

The cycle track was also a favourite haunt (not) of the Chesterfield players in the 1980s when John Duncan had them sprinting round it at regular intervals

I recall Ernie winning every one of his groups runs by several yards at a time

A certain town player who shall remain nameless lol knowing I lived local asked me to come at night with my mates to blow the bl**dy track up

Having tried it myself I can assure you it was a long way round

As youngsters we spent many hours playing football on what was known as Clarkes field on the opposite side of the New Whitt to Barrow Hill road always keeping a

lookout for the groundsman coming to clear us off :windup happy days

This post has been edited by whittman: 27 November 2015 - 08:18 AM

#5 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 27 November 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

Remember playing cricket there in 85. A Vauxhall Astra Turbo came careering down the road and overturned. we all ran to help!

#6 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 27 November 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Even more vibe here. Opening in 1953 of the Staveley Works Sports Stadium. Look at the crowds.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=OGSKiF-0yAc

Wow - magnificent sir. Chesterfield's great day - now its the opening of a Tesco or something similar. Makes me wonder(I wasn't around then) if things were better then. The large crowd - I would guess about 10,000 - not 60,000 suggests that we can still have "great days", like last season and promotion.

Apparently, now big business builds factories far away from communities such as Sheebridge and Markham Vale etc... where people do not necessarily see their place of work as part of their lives as was not the case in the 40s- 80s!

#7 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostElton John 1866, on 27 November 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

Remember playing cricket there in 85. A Vauxhall Astra Turbo came careering down the road and overturned. we all ran to help!

I was there that night playing a match on the opposite field! It was going ridiculously fast and actually left the ground by at least ten feet!

I remember playing a match under the floodlights, beautiful pitch too.

#8 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

When i was a kid, my Dad occasionally used to take us to watch the Staveley Works side on Saturdays (usually when Town were away). I remember the floodlit pitch with a tiny shelter to watch from.

Later i played for Handley Wood juniors and our end of season do was in the Works clubhouse at the top of the big banking.

This post has been edited by Bankrobber: 27 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#9 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 27 November 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

I was there that night playing a match on the opposite field! It was going ridiculously fast and actually left the ground by at least ten feet!

I remember playing a match under the floodlights, beautiful pitch too.

The floodlights were unique for a lowly non league ground in as much as they were 4 tall light towers in each corner instead of the conventional pylons down the side of the pitch

3 of the towers were brought from the old works stockyard and the 4th was made to the same specifications

to memory I think Wolves sent a strong team to open them in the mid 80s

#10 User is offline   CrossStreet62 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Retired to my static caravan at the end of the drive.
  • Interests:My Family
    Living one day at a time for as long as I can
    Listening to the music that means so much to me

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

Happy memories for me....played a lot on there late sixties early seventies....my first job after leaving school was at Staveley Works so used the facilities a lot...I'm trying to remember the football clubs secretaries name and I'm scratching my head...a good bloke who worked in the offices there I think...the cinder running track was 500 yards plus from memory...seemed a long way round when we used it. Played cricket on there too but not for the Works teams...but for there local rivals in the Bassetlaw League at the time. Was a great local facility at the time which sadly has all gone now not even sure if it's still open as a Golf driving range as I don't get down that way much these days. Met some and played with some good local lads at the time....they were happy days for me...time clouds a lot of the detail but I suppose you only appreciate things such as this facility when they are no longer there.
"CFC is in my soul" "It's a way of life" "Keep The Faith" "A Spireite Till I Die"

#11 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostCrossStreet62, on 27 November 2015 - 06:54 PM, said:

Happy memories for me....played a lot on there late sixties early seventies....my first job after leaving school was at Staveley Works so used the facilities a lot...I'm trying to remember the football clubs secretaries name and I'm scratching my head...a good bloke who worked in the offices there I think...the cinder running track was 500 yards plus from memory...seemed a long way round when we used it. Played cricket on there too but not for the Works teams...but for there local rivals in the Bassetlaw League at the time. Was a great local facility at the time which sadly has all gone now not even sure if it's still open as a Golf driving range as I don't get down that way much these days. Met some and played with some good local lads at the time....they were happy days for me...time clouds a lot of the detail but I suppose you only appreciate things such as this facility when they are no longer there.

Is Dave Hewitt the name you are looking for?

#12 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 26 November 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

I know its off topic - but there's nothing else worth talking about.

Went walking the other day for the first time in about 25 years along the canal to the hub(the one at Hollingwood)

Found some footage here of the old station and Staveley works in 1986 - looking back towards whittingon etc...

Still quite a vibe to this place, although long gone - of a murky industrial past of slag heaps and waste land at the bottom of New Whitt to Brim

https://www.youtube....h?v=5s0jhgUAuZs

Served my apprenticeship at Stanton and Staveley works. Worked there for 6 years until the bitch told us to f*** off. Went to Ireland Colliery and she told us there to f*** off also. Not all bad though. She's now dead. Painlessly I know, but you can't have everything in life you want.
The Hollingwood hub is built onto the lock house. There used to be three massive pumps in there to supply the Foundry with cooling water from the canal. Stripped them down many times to remove blockages of tadpoles and fish. I worked on the boilers that supplied Hollingwood with all it's hot water, the gas engines that supplied gas and the generators that supplied its electricity. Hollingwood was total self sufficient and not actively connected to any national grids with the exception of cold water and sewerage.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#13 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

View Postfishini, on 27 November 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

Served my apprenticeship at Stanton and Staveley works. Worked there for 6 years until the bitch told us to f*** off. Went to Ireland Colliery and she told us there to f*** off also. Not all bad though. She's now dead. Painlessly I know, but you can't have everything in life you want.
The Hollingwood hub is built onto the lock house. There used to be three massive pumps in there to supply the Foundry with cooling water from the canal. Stripped them down many times to remove blockages of tadpoles and fish. I worked on the boilers that supplied Hollingwood with all it's hot water, the gas engines that supplied gas and the generators that supplied its electricity. Hollingwood was total self sufficient and not actively connected to any national grids with the exception of cold water and sewerage.

Interesting mate - more interesting than a Saunders interview even!
I remember 1983 - the works on the same side as the offices were all being demolished them. Presumably you were on the other side...
Interestingly - history now being on the doorstep, so to speak. I didn't realise there was another railway from Hollingwood, along the canal to Wheeldon Mill. Presumably that was the one at Staveley works. There's still a bridge, mostly covered in trees and slag. I was shot by an air rifle pellet there in 1984!! This area of wasteland still fascinates me - my wife says its the spirits of the past industrial age!!

#14 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

Interesting study I found on Staveley works regeneration. Not heard about this before

http://staveleyworks-regeneration.com/

#15 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hollingwood was the first village on England to have hot, running water and many of the pipes are still visible around the village even if the boiler site isn't!

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 28 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

#16 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

View PostBankrobber, on 27 November 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

When i was a kid, my Dad occasionally used to take us to watch the Staveley Works side on Saturdays (usually when Town were away). I remember the floodlit pitch with a tiny shelter to watch from.

Later i played for Handley Wood juniors and our end of season do was in the Works clubhouse at the top of the big banking.

Same here...I think I was with them '83 and '84 seasons....

View PostElton John 1866, on 28 November 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Interesting study I found on Staveley works regeneration. Not heard about this before

http://staveleyworks-regeneration.com/

That would be great for the area; it has been left to rot for at least 20 years....

#17 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 28 November 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Hollingwood was the first village on England to have hot, running water and many of the pipes are still visible around the village even if the boiler site isn't!

Not a lot of people know that. Well I didn't. Hope you weren't making stuff up again Sammy

#18 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

http://www.chesterfi...ingwood_old.jpg

That one?

#19 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 28 November 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Interesting mate - more interesting than a Saunders interview even!
I remember 1983 - the works on the same side as the offices were all being demolished them. Presumably you were on the other side...
Interestingly - history now being on the doorstep, so to speak. I didn't realise there was another railway from Hollingwood, along the canal to Wheeldon Mill. Presumably that was the one at Staveley works. There's still a bridge, mostly covered in trees and slag. I was shot by an air rifle pellet there in 1984!! This area of wasteland still fascinates me - my wife says its the spirits of the past industrial age!!

I worked on both sides. The side nearest the offices were the Metal Spun and Sand Spun plants where pipes were made. The largest one was the sand spun plant where pipes were spun in sand moulds vertically, the crane that serviced them was over 100ft high and was known as the high flier. The other plant was the metal spun plant where pipes were spun in metal moulds and horizontally. The buildings to the right of the offices were the medical centre, baths and canteen. In front of the offices you will see a ramp up to the main doors. This was where Charlie Markham parked his Rolls Royce. The ramp was so his car could be parked high to allow everybody to see it and allow it to be bump started if required. There were three loco's in the main yard all named after his daughters (can't remember the names though) There was a machine shop called the bomb shop after a German bomb hit it but falied to explode
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#20 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

My father worked in the sand spun dept and then in the metal spun when that closed

He took early retirement in 1981 just before the metal spun closed I think

This post has been edited by whittman: 28 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users