F A Cup Final

#21 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 20 May 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Agree completely, if you must call it the champions league then it should only be for reigning champions.
Everyone else in the uefa cup

Correct and before I put this particular European Football Soapbox back in the shed I want the European Cup Winners Cup reinstating

Obviously only open to the respective Country's Cup winners ...With caviat that runners up qualify if Cup winners complete League/Cup double
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#22 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 20 May 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

Clearly you and I are of a similar vintage.

Thing is back in those days televised football was rare; MOTD, Yorkshire TV's Sunday dinner local round up (ie: Leeds then brief highlights of the rest. Remember Keith Macklin?), England games, the occasional European one and the FA Cup Final.

Then Sky came along and swamped our tellies with even the most mundane fixtures; is anyone really bothered about, say, West Brom v Watford?

It's that dilution, alongside the swapping and changing of kick off times, that's left many indifferent towards tomorrow's event.

Me? I'm planning a day in front of the test match.

Vintage ? ...I quite like Vintage Mr 1866 and Yes I do remember Keith Macklin , and Gerry Harrison , Gerald Sinstadt ,Hugh Johns etc etc

Back to the F A Cup Final though what does though , amuse me , how Sky try desperately to pretend its not happening and suddenly Glasgow Protestant v Ediburgh Catholic is this week's big thing
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#23 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

FA cup football songs 😁

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/32918539

#24 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

I will be watching the FA Cup Final. Not because I have a particular interest, more so that my lad is 7 years old and football ( and Town ) mad. The first FA Cup Final I remember watching was 1987 when Coventry City beat Spurs 3-2. I was 7 years old.

Although he's been a footy fan for a year or so, this will be the first one we will sit down and watch together. As irrelevant as Sky try and make the FA Cup, I'm sure any football fan will always remember their first Cup Final. For this reason alone, I will be watching with interest.

#25 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 20 May 2016 - 05:37 PM, said:

I will be watching the FA Cup Final. Not because I have a particular interest, more so that my lad is 7 years old and football ( and Town ) mad. The first FA Cup Final I remember watching was 1987 when Coventry City beat Spurs 3-2. I was 7 years old.

Although he's been a footy fan for a year or so, this will be the first one we will sit down and watch together. As irrelevant as Sky try and make the FA Cup, I'm sure any football fan will always remember their first Cup Final. For this reason alone, I will be watching with interest.

Vaguely remember the 95 cup final but the dull final a year later is the 1 I first sat down and watched.

For some unknown reason I ended up going down whitt Moor to look round king carpets.

I was 12. Bizarre
Here we go again!

#26 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

I darent care to remember the first FA Cup final I watched on tv. Suffice to say it was in B/W :windup

I have only actually been to one live though. The 1984 Everton v Watford match when Andy Gray headed the second goal through Sherwoods hands

#27 User is offline   Sussex Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Harvey's Old Ale, Weller, Lewes FC and Levante FC

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

View Postwhittman, on 20 May 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

I darent care to remember the first FA Cup final I watched on tv. Suffice to say it was in B/W :windup

I have only actually been to one live though. The 1984 Everton v Watford match when Andy Gray headed the second goal through Sherwoods hands

Me too, oddly enough the 1990 Man Utd v Palace final, I lived in Croydon at the time, so managed to get tickets quite easily.

In my lifetime I've been to 2 FA cup semi finals and 1 final and managed to see a total of 19 goals!!
Palace v Liverpool 4:3, Town v Boro 3:3 and Palace v Man Utd 3:3
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

#28 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

View PostSussex Spireite, on 20 May 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

Me too, oddly enough the 1990 Man Utd v Palace final, I lived in Croydon at the time, so managed to get tickets quite easily.

In my lifetime I've been to 2 FA cup semi finals and 1 final and managed to see a total of 19 goals!!
Palace v Liverpool 4:3, Town v Boro 3:3 and Palace v Man Utd 3:3

Didn't you get to the town replay?

#29 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:beer

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Suppose as the games in London will the Man Ure team coach arrive on time ?
50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#30 User is offline   Tyrion 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

I assume a few will be at the Barrow Hill beer festival, times change

#31 User is offline   Somerset Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:13 PM

I'd not really thought of it that way, but good point. We always used to make a big event of the cup final when I was a kid: (soft) drinks and nibbles.

Enjoy the game!
Riding the blue & white roller-coaster since 1989

#32 User is offline   Crack 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

United fans want them to win it.
The rest of the world wants whoever it happens to be that's playing United to win it.
Match Of The Day highlights viewing at best.

#33 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostCrack, on 21 May 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

United fans want them to win it.
The rest of the world wants whoever it happens to be that's playing United to win it.
Match Of The Day highlights viewing at best.

I'd normally subscribe to that but as I've got 6 man u players in my fantasy league team and stand a good chance of getting second place and making a good few quid today I very begrudgingly hope Rooney, Mata and Martial get hat tricks.... :angry
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#34 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

I'll be watching it, because it's The Cup Final. The 80s (when I were a lad) saw a succession of brilliant and meaningful games. The next two decades, with the odd exception, saw boring cup finals between the larger sides. In 1999 Man U sought to trash the competition by pulling out.
Today, I'll be cheering on The Glaziers all the way.
As for European football, it's unwatchable shiyte ruined by play-acting. I shan't watch the Champions League final.

View PostMiddle East, on 21 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

I'd normally subscribe to that but as I've got 6 man u players in my fantasy league team and stand a good chance of getting second place and making a good few quid today I very begrudgingly hope Rooney, Mata and Martial get hat tricks.... :angry

Me too- as long as De Gea doesn't throw in five own goals then get sent off, I'll finish top of an 86-team league.a
These go to eleven.

#35 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 21 May 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'll be watching it, because it's The Cup Final. The 80s (when I were a lad) saw a succession of brilliant and meaningful games. The next two decades, with the odd exception, saw boring cup finals between the larger sides. In 1999 Man U sought to trash the competition by pulling out.
Today, I'll be cheering on The Glaziers all the way.
As for European football, it's unwatchable shiyte ruined by play-acting. I shan't watch the Champions League final.

Me too- as long as De Gea doesn't throw in five own goals then get sent off, I'll finish top of an 86-team league.a

I've got de gea too so I'm with you on that one!

Good effort that...how much will you win? I won't catch the chap who's top of my league but the difference between 2nd and third is another 30 notes.

Still feel a bit dirty wanting them to win though...

This post has been edited by Middle East: 21 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

#36 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostMiddle East, on 21 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

I've got a measly 50 quid to come off ours at work. Will be 60 if Smalling scores more points today than Blind which is very doubtful with how the scoring has been going in the last couple of months. I think the opta scoring data thing is racist.

#37 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 21 May 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I've got a measly 50 quid to come off ours at work. Will be 60 if Smalling scores more points today than Blind which is very doubtful with how the scoring has been going in the last couple of months. I think the opta scoring data thing is racist.

£30 for third £60 for second in my league...got smalling too so a hat trick would be nice! :D

#38 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostMiddle East, on 21 May 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've got de gea too so I'm with you on that one!

Good effort that...how much will you win? I won't catch the chap who's top of my league but the difference between 2nd and third is another 30 notes.

Still feel a bit dirty wanting them to win though...

112 for the winner. Second gets 70-odd. I have a nice cushion and those chasing don't have Palace or Man U players so barring anything freakish I'll be rait.

This Scottish Cup Final is a belter so far! Half an hour in.... worth tuning in.
These go to eleven.

#39 User is offline   Spire_78 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NOYFB

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

5.30 kick off (if they hurry up)... giant duvet on the pitch... Tiny Todger 'performing' some abomination to the ear drums, enough of the B****Y modernising already!

#40 User is online   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

They're trying to turn the FA Cup Final into the Superbowl, stop it, stop it now!!!!! :angry:
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users