• You cannot reply to this topic

F A Cup Final

#1 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

So its the day before the F A Cup Final and there is no thread .. Does nobody care anymore ?

I am a regular on three Forums and only one thread and that's through a tenous link ... Sign of the times ? ( Nothing to do with Bellestars by the way )

I think this sums up the apathy towards what to me is STILL the Greatest Domestic Cup Competition

I was brought up in an time when Grandstand started at about 11 and we had players at hotels , interviews on the bus , Its a Knock out ,Abide with me ( maybe still got that ) the game at THREE O'clock , me changing stations after 5 mins because I liked Brian Moore more than David Coleman and after the game some player who had scored the winner supping Milk from a pint bottle

Yes that "Magic" may have gone and FWIW for all my gushing statement about the Magnitude of the competition

....I wont be watching
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#2 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

As per most years for the last 25 or so i'll be playing cricket therefore not watching it. Think the only one i've watched in years was Wigan beating City due to us getting rained off!! I'll check the score at some point but doubtful i'll see any of it and probably only watch any highlights if its a decent game.

#3 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

Nope! Too much football on TV now, don't care after the last non league team drop out.
Here we go again!

#4 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

I'm off to the T20 at OT should the weather be kind so doubt i'll be watching it either.

#5 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 20 May 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

So its the day before the F A Cup Final and there is no thread .. Does nobody care anymore ?

I am a regular on three Forums and only one thread and that's through a tenous link ... Sign of the times ? ( Nothing to do with Bellestars by the way )

I think this sums up the apathy towards what to me is STILL the Greatest Domestic Cup Competition

I was brought up in an time when Grandstand started at about 11 and we had players at hotels , interviews on the bus , Its a Knock out ,Abide with me ( maybe still got that ) the game at THREE O'clock , me changing stations after 5 mins because I liked Brian Moore more than David Coleman and after the game some player who had scored the winner supping Milk from a pint bottle

Yes that "Magic" may have gone and FWIW for all my gushing statement about the Magnitude of the competition

....I wont be watching

don't find either side appealing in the slightest, most likely will watch it but my expectations of a thrilling game are quite low. BTW wasn't the milk drinking from the league cup final during the "Milk Cup" seasons?

#6 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 20 May 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

don't find either side appealing in the slightest, most likely will watch it but my expectations of a thrilling game are quite low. BTW wasn't the milk drinking from the league cup final during the "Milk Cup" seasons?

No chap I distinctly remember Bobby Stokes after '76 Final , amongst others

#7 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 20 May 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

No chap I distinctly remember Bobby Stokes after '76 Final , amongst others

ah well i'm much too young to remember the 70s :rolleyes: , first FA cup final i ever watch was the 81 final between spurs and man city, now that was a game or 2.

#8 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

....I wont be watching

Don't necessarily approve of the kick off time but at least it means I can watch the Scottish cup final as well! Perhaps I should get out more lol.

#9 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

View Postnewbold ken, on 20 May 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Don't necessarily approve of the kick off time but at least it means I can watch the Scottish cup final as well! Perhaps I should get out more lol.

In theory you've got the Scottish Cup Final, FA Cup Final then the Champions League Final all one after the other....suspect the Champions League Final will be the best of the lot.

#10 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 20 May 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

ah well i'm much too young to remember the 70s :rolleyes: , first FA cup final i ever watch was the 81 final between spurs and man city, now that was a game or 2.

I see , meanwhile I will peruse my Saga Holiday brochure :lol:

#11 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

....I wont be watching

Me an all - it's a MAN U thing.
God I hate this league.

#12 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostJonB, on 20 May 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

In theory you've got the Scottish Cup Final, FA Cup Final then the Champions League Final all one after the other....suspect the Champions League Final will be the best of the lot.

Champions league final is actually the sat after may 28 . There is the Italian cup final though , should be tasty but her indoors usually kicks up when 3rd match goes on lol .

#13 Guest_Punkindonuts_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Sadly finishing 4th in the league is now more important than winning an actual cup. I would much more prefer 3 champions league places up for grabs but to get em you had to either win the league, the league cup or the FA cup as it would mean so much more to the teams and supporters.

#14 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

Champions League should be contested by Champions only in my humble opinion

The only exception being the holders

#15 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

View Postnewbold ken, on 20 May 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Champions league final is actually the sat after may 28 . There is the Italian cup final though , should be tasty but her indoors usually kicks up when 3rd match goes on lol .

Ah, got my dates in a muddle!

#16 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 20 May 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

agree on that one or how about this, if England have to enter 4 teams to the champions league then let it be the 4 teams who actually won leagues, which for next seasons competition would be Leicester, burnley, wigan and Northampton... there you that's your 4.

#17 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

The main problem imo with the FA Cup final now is not necessarily the match itself but the fact that there are more live matches on tv on any given

weekend than we used to see in a whole season in the past

As COYUI said we used to look forward to the whole day of the CUP fINAL starting early morning with the build up etc then after the match going onto

the park where the arguments started on who were going to represent the winners in our jumpers for goalposts match :windup

That match normally finished when darkness fell

#18 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

View Postnewbold ken, on 20 May 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

He was leaving a bit of time to make a cup of tea between the games and presumably he likes it strong

#19 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 20 May 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Agree completely, if you must call it the champions league then it should only be for reigning champions.
Everyone else in the uefa cup
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#20 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

....I wont be watching

Clearly you and I are of a similar vintage.

Thing is back in those days televised football was rare; MOTD, Yorkshire TV's Sunday dinner local round up (ie: Leeds then brief highlights of the rest. Remember Keith Macklin?), England games, the occasional European one and the FA Cup Final.

Then Sky came along and swamped our tellies with even the most mundane fixtures; is anyone really bothered about, say, West Brom v Watford?

It's that dilution, alongside the swapping and changing of kick off times, that's left many indifferent towards tomorrow's event.

Me? I'm planning a day in front of the test match.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users