Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Planned European Friendly. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Planned European Friendly.

#41 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 May 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

Leading up to the Bury game, Ashley Carson ran a competition on twitter for the oldest replica shirt, the winner got to walk out with the match ball and deliver it to the Ref pre-kick off. The day before, I was 'winning' with my 80/81 Adidas replica, but then the comp disappeared.

I tweeted Ashley and the club afterwards to ask what had happened and who won, I'm still waiting a reply! lol

what have you done to upset them?

side note - raffle is £20 a ticket - bit steep!

#42 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

Ah, I'm still blocked by our fearless leader's second minion, that's probably why I never know anything...

I've set up a new twitter account just to follow him. Hope that makes him uncomfortable :)

This post has been edited by LuSiVe: 19 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

#43 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 19 May 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

There will be plenty for who £1700 (not me I hasten to add) is pocket change. Can't blame the club for maximising revenue.

'...plenty for whom....'
These go to eleven.

#44 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostCartman, on 19 May 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

I wonder if you get a strip of 5 for £80? :windup

#45 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostStoptalkingbol, on 18 May 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

It's a urine take. It's like my lads school trip to Spain, having to stump up 600 notes for 5 days away so the teachers can go for free.

Trust me having taken 83 kids to Andorra skiing for a week and 52 kids to Belgium and France for a week I can tell you it's no B****Y holiday at all. I'm ex military have fought in Afghan and other places, now a teacher and I know which one is easier. Teachers don't do it for the money or free holidays, trust me.

#46 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 19 May 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

Trust me having taken 83 kids to Andorra skiing for a week and 52 kids to Belgium and France for a week I can tell you it's no B****Y holiday at all. I'm ex military have fought in Afghan and other places, now a teacher and I know which one is easier. Teachers don't do it for the money or free holidays, trust me.

Why do schools take kids on skiing trips?

#47 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 19 May 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

We sure as hell never did at Newbold. Never went out of the country at all. Furthest was Weston Super Mare on a Geography A-level field trip.

#48 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

We made it as far as York for a day :)

#49 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

Teachers like skiing

#50 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

Education isn't just about learning in a classroom. The trips are usually in half-term.

#51 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 19 May 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

Education isn't just about learning in a classroom. The trips are usually in half-term.

That was a genuine question. I can't see what they are learning skiing that they couldn't learn doing other activities closer to home at half term.

#52 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:53 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 19 May 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

That was a genuine question. I can't see what they are learning skiing that they couldn't learn doing other activities closer to home at half term.

Our teachers passed it off as character building. Fine by me as I loved it.
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#53 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 May 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

We sure as hell never did at Newbold. Never went out of the country at all. Furthest was Weston Super Mare on a Geography A-level field trip.

I seem to remember frigging cromford every year........

#54 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostExharboroughspireite, on 19 May 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

I seem to remember frigging cromford every year........

Better than trekking up and down Penybont when u have asthma
God I hate this league.

#55 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:05 PM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 19 May 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Our teachers passed it off as character building. Fine by me as I loved it.

That's my view it's passed off as anything, for teachers who like to ski

#56 User is online   Geordieblue 

• Journeyman & score prediction double champion
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:00 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 May 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Furthest I ever got at nobby Green was a trip to the portacabins on the playing fields.
Did they do A levels there?
gaudete
Rejoice

#57 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 19 May 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

That's my view it's passed off as anything, for teachers who like to ski

I guess that you don't ski. I do, even at my advanced age. It's one of the the most physically demanding, exhilarating recreational activities and a great opportunity for kids to see spectacular surroundings. They can, of course, stop at home and do something different but why not experience something that can't be done here. Your comments are verging on the narrow-minded, I'm sorry to say.

#58 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostCartman, on 19 May 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

He had the temerity to post some little fact that put the petty ones noses out of joint. They in turn brought all their power to the fore and banned him from selling 50/50 tickets.

In the end it was an attempt to stop embarrassing bits of info coming out of the club but as you can see the embarrassing link of the DCC and CFC has not happened as the snowball keeps growing as the club goes downhill.
God I hate this league.

#59 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

View Postplannerj, on 20 May 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

I guess that you don't ski. I do, even at my advanced age. It's one of the the most physically demanding, exhilarating recreational activities and a great opportunity for kids to see spectacular surroundings. They can, of course, stop at home and do something different but why not experience something that can't be done here. Your comments are verging on the narrow-minded, I'm sorry to say.

Oh I will admit it's a very narrow minded view shared it would seem by a few others. Yes I have done the hills and if it is good, but kids who can't ski being on the baby slopes, I'm not so sure it's exhilarating. My view is more narrow minded than you think tbf as all the overseas trips I have been involved with always seems to involve some kind of relationship between teachers involved. Again perhaps it's just the 3 schools I've been involved with. I'm also very cynical towards inset and training days which always happen to be on a Friday or Monday and usually following a holiday. I live within a few hundred yards of 2 schools snd the car parks are empty after about 12 on said days. Yes you are right my opinion of teachers is low and I think the standard of teachers nowadays is appalling. It appears from the outside that a lot of young teachers I come into contact with through having children of my own and the through my professional role lack more than basic intelligence and I despair at how they have entered the role.

#60 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 20 May 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

Oh I will admit it's a very narrow minded view shared it would seem by a few others. Yes I have done the hills and if it is good,

1 - but kids who can't ski being on the baby slopes, I'm not so sure it's exhilarating.

2 - My view is more narrow minded than you think tbf as all the overseas trips I have been involved with always seems to involve some kind of relationship between teachers involved. Again perhaps it's just the 3 schools I've been involved with.

3 - I'm also very cynical towards inset and training days which always happen to be on a Friday or Monday and usually following a holiday. I live within a few hundred yards of 2 schools snd the car parks are empty after about 12 on said days.

4 - Yes you are right my opinion of teachers is low and I think the standard of teachers nowadays is appalling. It appears from the outside that a lot of young teachers I come into contact with through having children of my own and the through my professional role lack more than basic intelligence and I despair at how they have entered the role.

Sorry for breaking up your paragraph into separate points.

1 - PlannerJ nails it when saying "an experience that can't be done here"...unless you count the dry slope in Sheffield (is that still going, by the way?)

I also endorse that, given my Mrs is a teacher at a school here in Stockholm. I got to accompany her and a group as an AOTT (adult other than teacher) on her school trip (I had a week off and I'm CRB checked, and all that) to Tärnaby; 900km north of Stockholm, and home of Ingemar Stenmark - google him to find out just how good he was! I'm the novice skier with some of the group on the baby slopes, and let me tell you, that place is stunning! We also got to race snow mobiles, go cross-country ski-ing, go ice fishing, make igloos and camp outside in them, and a hike in the mountains with snow shoes. Exhilarating every day, sir.

2 - Yeah, that's just the 3 schools you've been involved with. Hardly a representation of all schools, is it? And also hardly a representation of schools in any given location. More a reflection of those travelling with the trip...

3 - A bit like the corporate jollies that masquerade as team-building exercises or golf days that are deemed necessary to butter up a potential client?

4 - You can thank your current Prime Minister for that. When he first came to power, he and the coalition cut the education budget by 33%, which put pressure on schools to reduce their own budgets very quickly. Easiest way? Offload long-serving and experienced teachers and replace them with newly-qualified (40% cheaper), allow "cover supervisors" to teach full-time. Also allow non-qualified staff to teach. Think about that - you wouldn't accept arriving at A&E to be met by someone who once administered a plaster and calling themselves a triage nurse, would you? But the equivalent has been allowed to happen in schools...

The trade-off is: those most capable of mentoring the new staff have been put out to pasture, because they're only seen as expensive commodities, not as assets to a school; those with a few years of experience that aren't yet ready for middle management are leaving the profession due to being told their job is now in jeopardy as the results make for dire reading whilst they're in charge, i.e. they're under-performing; nobody wants to come into the profession as they see what is happening and want no part of it. Then you're left with the inexperienced and unqualified - a recipe for disaster...

And there, the seeds for under-funding, to then name as under-performing, to then close and re-open as an Academy, were laid. There's an incredible parallel between this and what's happening with the NHS, right? You say it's failing, you privatise as much as you can by giving contracts to you friends who are party donors, and then saturate the media with how badly run things were before, and we're the saviours all along. That's your government, right there...

20 years ago, there was a shortage in the profession. The previous government offered bursaries to BSc graduates if they wanted to train on the PGCE program for a year. 5 years later, there's a only a shortage in the core subjects of English, Maths and Science. They were offered a 'golden hello' of jumping a point or two on the main pay scale compared to other new entrants to the profession in other subjects. 3 years after that, and there's a short surplus of teachers, which is actually a good thing. Apparently, it's gone downhill rapidly since "Call me Dave" came to power.

What's your solution - or is it just a whine?

DISCLAIMER - teaching is in the family. Father for 26 years, brother for 20 and counting, in-laws still do and a then a few family friends. The views in point 4 belong to my brother - an outstanding practitioner (Ofsted agree with me as well), who still does things the right way and makes decisions for his school based on it moving forward and what's best for his students.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users