Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Picking The Bones Out Of That!! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Picking The Bones Out Of That!!

#21 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:08 PM

View Postdtp, on 06 February 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

It was typical Graham Westley tactics today and the referee and his linesmen were well versed in playing second fiddle in allowing them to run the match.

Twice in the first half the referee warned them about holding and pushing in the penalty area only for him to watch them hold and push when the ball was in play. He warned them again in the second half too but continued to let them do it. The irony being that they scored by using the exact same tactic but, of corse, the men in black chose not to see it.

Two minutes extra time was added on in the first half, Herd had been injured for that amount of time and they were time wasting at every opportunity. Five minutes would have been closer to the mark.

The officials were extremely weak today, yes, but in the end we just could not get shots on target against a very well organised defence. In every other respect we matched them. Playing against a nine man wall with a one goal lead is not as easy as it might seem but when you are at the bottom nothing seems to go for you whilst when you are on the up you get the sort of luck posh got today.

Fair comment. Against nine men you're in a lottery because they'll all be behind the ball. That means a lot of 50/50 chances which might or might not go for you, and today they didn't.
The bloke who might have made the difference in the last 20 was SEB, who's exactly the bloke you want when the ball is pinging about the penalty area. As it was he was reduced to chasing round the edges of the area all the first half, which is the normal state of play.
I thought Posh were by far the worst team we've seen this season, nasty tactics apart. They offered nothing but a fairly solid defence helped out by niggling fouls. With hindsight we didn't need Drew as part of the midfield diamond, though you could see the reason for playing him to break up play in front of a new and untried defender, and Morsy gone. Boli would probably have made the difference as he showed when he came on, but hindsight is the most exact of sciences.
The thing that really didn't work, again, was the crossing. The worst thing you can do in that situation is give the goalkeeper an easy catch, because he can then slow it down and let men get upfield. A cross anywhere he can't reach it and the defenders can only kick it to where it'll come straight back, but how many times did we make it easy for him, and from dead ball situations at that?
I'm not too upset because once again we more than matched a top eight side all over he park, but I keep saying that and we keep losing. With the injuries still mounting up the season is getting a classic relegation feel about it, but if anybody can pull it round Danny can.

#22 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostBrimington Barry, on 06 February 2016 - 05:37 PM, said:

Is the loan window still open?

Baz

Wilson must be given the chance to bring players in during this window, if allen wants to reduce the debt he stands a far better chance with us in league one than dropping down again, I fear if we drop down it will be for a fair while and we quickly then go into a downward spiral,

#23 User is online   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

View PostStoptalkingbol, on 06 February 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

100% neshed out when he saw the post coming his way. Pathetic.

I don't know where in the ground you were, but I was on the kop behind the goal, and he was nowhere near the post. I criticised Novak for wasting the free kick chance, but he shouldn't be criticised for something he didn't do.

#24 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

View Postwhittman, on 06 February 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

We did not play to the conditions enough in the first half ie shooting from any angle and distance with the wind and rain in our fasvour

They did very little in the second half except a shot from about thirty five yards that was deflected for the corner which led to their soft goal

Also the fluke half volley from the keeper which he caught just right letting the wind take the ball with the bounce off the pitch forcing Tommy into a last gasp save

When the second player got sent off Morgan threw up his hands in frustration I think because he realised how even more difficult it
was going to be to break down a typical Westley team who would get everyone back behind the ball

Remember the Stevenage team that came to the B2net in our 2nd season at the new ground had a player sent off I think and then slowed the match down
with time wasting niggly tactics but let in a late goal from Jack Lester in what seemed like the 10th minute of injury time for a 1-1 draw

Well today he went one better with a player less unfortunatley

how can it be even more difficult to beat 9 than 10 men :huh:
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#25 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

Would last season's side have won today?

I think yes.

And why haven't we got that side?

Therein lies the reason we're going down...

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 06 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#26 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

View Posth again, on 06 February 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Fair comment. Against nine men you're in a lottery because they'll all be behind the ball. That means a lot of 50/50 chances which might or might not go for you, and today they didn't.
The bloke who might have made the difference in the last 20 was SEB, who's exactly the bloke you want when the ball is pinging about the penalty area. As it was he was reduced to chasing round the edges of the area all the first half, which is the normal state of play.
I thought Posh were by far the worst team we've seen this season, nasty tactics apart. They offered nothing but a fairly solid defence helped out by niggling fouls. With hindsight we didn't need Drew as part of the midfield diamond, though you could see the reason for playing him to break up play in front of a new and untried defender, and Morsy gone. Boli would probably have made the difference as he showed when he came on, but hindsight is the most exact of sciences.
The thing that really didn't work, again, was the crossing. The worst thing you can do in that situation is give the goalkeeper an easy catch, because he can then slow it down and let men get upfield. A cross anywhere he can't reach it and the defenders can only kick it to where it'll come straight back, but how many times did we make it easy for him, and from dead ball situations at that?
I'm not too upset because once again we more than matched a top eight side all over he park, but I keep saying that and we keep losing. With the injuries still mounting up the season is getting a classic relegation feel about it, but if anybody can pull it round Danny can.

We have too many players who always want to do the simple thing and get rid of the ball as soon as they can to get others to take responsibility for doing something. We lack quality, leadership and risk taking. Bolt tries to take men on and Oshea tries to set things up. Gardner tries Who else? Nobody else springs to mind other than Jones who hasn't played for ages. On the opposite side of the spectrum I can't remember oNeil going down the line and taking somebody on. I'd rather pay Lavery than Novak at least he occupied the defenders throughout. Presumably this week the kid from Spurs will come in let's hope he gets down the flanks

View Postsophocles, on 06 February 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

I don't know where in the ground you were, but I was on the kop behind the goal, and he was nowhere near the post. I criticised Novak for wasting the free kick chance, but he shouldn't be criticised for something he didn't do.

It was the keeper he balked from not the post. Heart of a lion lol

#27 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 06 February 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

Peterborough were a very, very poor team in every aspect
The ref was shocking
We made bad decisions allover the park
Did it look as though we had two players extra.....no!
We wouldn't have scored if we had played until next week
We need a striker!! We need to put chances away
We were lacking creativity when we needed it against 9 men...
9 men..& we couldn't create clear cut chances against 9 ruddy men...fuming

Three men have cost us this season
Dean Saunders
Dave Allen
Chris Turner
No excuses....they have!!!

good post.
lindave

#28 User is offline   SixYardBox 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 06 February 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

Peterborough were a very, very poor team in every aspect
The ref was shocking
We made bad decisions allover the park
Did it look as though we had two players extra.....no!
We wouldn't have scored if we had played until next week
We need a striker!! We need to put chances away
We were lacking creativity when we needed it against 9 men...
9 men..& we couldn't create clear cut chances against 9 ruddy men...fuming

Three men have cost us this season
Dean Saunders
Dave Allen
Chris Turner
No excuses....they have!!!

But with regards to the match in question, Lee flapped at the cross, he has no strength or command of his box for high crosses due to his lack of height and this is not he first time we have conceded for this reason. Don't give me best keeper in the lower leagues business as I see plenty of keepers who we seem to be unable to get passed, making miraculous saves over and over. I say give Chapman a few games to at least keep Lee on his game.
Gboly should start every time. His first touch is best in the squad, he is most skilful player in the squad, he is fastest player in the squad, he makes most chances in the squad. What we need is some other players who get on the end of his creations, current lot go running in too early instead of timing runs, its real schoolboy errors.

#29 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

To those suggesting Tommy was fouled for the goal, and it shouldn't have stood, have they seen the TV replay that seem to suggest their disallowed goal should have stood, too as the scorer appeared to be onside when the original shot was hit.

#30 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 06 February 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:

Would last season's side have won today?

I think yes.

And why haven't we got that side?

Therein lies the reason we're going down...

Well, call me naïve, but could it be because the best players liked the idea of three times more money?

#31 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 07 February 2016 - 04:23 AM, said:

We have too many players who always want to do the simple thing and get rid of the ball as soon as they can to get others to take responsibility for doing something. We lack quality, leadership and risk taking. Bolt tries to take men on and Oshea tries to set things up. Gardner tries Who else? Nobody else springs to mind other than Jones who hasn't played for ages. On the opposite side of the spectrum I can't remember oNeil going down the line and taking somebody on. I'd rather pay Lavery than Novak at least he occupied the defenders throughout. Presumably this week the kid from Spurs will come in let's hope he gets down the flanks

It was the keeper he balked from not the post. Heart of a lion lol

The ball was way past the 'keeper. There was nothing to nesh, he just couldn't get there.

#32 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

View Posth again, on 07 February 2016 - 09:13 PM, said:

The ball was way past the 'keeper. There was nothing to nesh, he just couldn't get there.

I take it you don't sit near to the action behind the goal? As there was nothing to nesh he should just have thrown himself at it like Jack would have done near the line

This post has been edited by Ernie Ernie Ernie: 07 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

#33 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 07 February 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

I take it you don't sit near to the action behind the goal?

You take whatever you like. I was on the kop just behind the action. Off the top of my head, the ball was about 5 ft past the 'keeper and Novak was about the same distance from the far post.

#34 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

View Posth again, on 07 February 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

You take whatever you like. I was on the kop just behind the action. Off the top of my head, the ball was about 5 ft past the 'keeper and Novak was about the same distance from the far post.

So why not thrown himself at it?

#35 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 07 February 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

To those suggesting Tommy was fouled for the goal, and it shouldn't have stood, have they seen the TV replay that seem to suggest their disallowed goal should have stood, too as the scorer appeared to be onside when the original shot was hit.

Seen it, thought he was off but only seen it once from a less than helpful angle.

#36 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

View Posth again, on 07 February 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

Well, call me naïve, but could it be because the best players liked the idea of three times more money?

Will Ryan be earning three times as much at Fleetwood?

Will Roberts be earning three times as much at Portsmouth?

Will Morsy be earning three times as much at Wigan?

For someone who makes a point of noting how little we know about players wages I don't see how you can come up with a 3x figure when you have no idea what they earned in the first place. It might be a safe bet that Darikwa and Clucas are in the big bucks but that's about it. And Morsy has proven that players can be professional even after higher clubs have bids rejected. I wonder how much MK Dons were offering
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

#37 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:59 AM

Morsy potentially is, Roberts probably got a longer deal on the same if not more rather than a potential lower wage with us and Ryan got an increase on what he was on with us even if we did offer to match it

#38 User is offline   spireitewolf 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

SixYardBox said:

1454878545[/url]' post='1184121']
But with regards to the match in question, Lee flapped at the cross, he has no strength or command of his box for high crosses due to his lack of height and this is not he first time we have conceded for this reason. Don't give me best keeper in the lower leagues business as I see plenty of keepers who we seem to be unable to get passed, making miraculous saves over and over. I say give Chapman a few games to at least keep Lee on his game.
Gboly should start every time. His first touch is best in the squad, he is most skilful player in the squad, he is fastest player in the squad, he makes most chances in the squad. What we need is some other players who get on the end of his creations, current lot go running in too early instead of timing runs, its real schoolboy errors.

Gboly had good game today but that was only his second good game He blows hot an cold ,too many cold ones He has ability to ghost past full backs but not consistent enough

#39 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

View Postspireitewolf, on 08 February 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

Gboly had good game today but that was only his second good game He blows hot an cold ,too many cold ones He has ability to ghost past full backs but not consistent enough

Today?

He did alright when he came on and should have been on sooner (I'd have started him personally) but he had a cameo at best.

#40 User is online   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 08 February 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

Will Ryan be earning three times as much at Fleetwood?

Will Roberts be earning three times as much at Portsmouth?

Will Morsy be earning three times as much at Wigan?

For someone who makes a point of noting how little we know about players wages I don't see how you can come up with a 3x figure when you have no idea what they earned in the first place. It might be a safe bet that Darikwa and Clucas are in the big bucks but that's about it. And Morsy has proven that players can be professional even after higher clubs have bids rejected. I wonder how much MK Dons were offering

I don't even pretend to know what players earn but it has been said that Ryan was offered the equivalent of what Fleetwood are paying him but he wanted to be nearer home - if so, there is not much we could do about that. I actually thought PC soured his relationship with Jimmy when he had him sat on the bench whilst he played Gobern.

Roberts signed a 3 year deal on a much improved contract and it was reorted he wanted to go - the Portsmouth fans think he is already drawing his pension but from our point of view should we have matched a 3 year deal for an injury prone ageing player?

Morsy clearly wanted out and Wigan seem to be the only club to have offered him what he, and his agent, wanted - and don't tell me that his agent hasn't been touting him around for quite a few months.

Clucas and Darikwa could quite easily be earning 3 times what they were getting at CFC - Tendayi had said he wouldn't be signing another contract and Sam couldn't wait to move on once he knew what was on offer.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users