Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Neville Facing Calls To Resign At Valencia! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Neville Facing Calls To Resign At Valencia! Who'd have thought it?

#1 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

Gary Neville is facing growing calls to resign after his side lost 7-0 to Barcelona in a cup game. Valencia are also still without a win under Neville. I gues he's finding out its a different world preaching to the "settee end" masses via his Sky gadgets than going head to head with Barceloa and Real Madrid. Why on earth do some clubs still think they can parachute an ex player into a top job without any experience at management and expect them to succeed?
As there ever been a manager who's enjoyed succes without first learning his trade either in the lower leagues or via a "boot room" upbringing?
Never mind he can always go back to Sky!
East stand second class citizen.

#2 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 04 February 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Gary Neville is facing growing calls to resign after his side lost 7-0 to Barcelona in a cup game. Valencia are also still without a win under Neville. I gues he's finding out its a different world preaching to the "settee end" masses via his Sky gadgets than going head to head with Barceloa and Real Madrid. Why on earth do some clubs still think they can parachute an ex player into a top job without any experience at management and expect them to succeed?
As there ever been a manager who's enjoyed succes without first learning his trade either in the lower leagues or via a "boot room" upbringing?

Its been a disaster and there is no turning it around,i must admit im surprised but in hindsight am i.The talk on the news at the moment with gaurdiola is about the passion of the fans in the prem,the hacks must be barmy,the passion for football and support in spain is 10 fold what it is in this country ,Neville has jumped straight into a cauldron or even a calderon by all accounts.I read that he was finding the half time team talks hard due to the communication barrier...oh dear is all can say.Thought it was a good move but heart overruled my head ,far too big a job in hindsight,one things for sure Ashley carson would not dare go on a Valencia version of bobs board,they would be counting bodyparts,as for gary I think he will also get his brother the sack...cheers bro.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#3 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

He'd have been better cutting his teeth managing Salford but of course that wouldn't do for our Gary

Bizarre appointment born out of some kind of relationship with this Lim guy. Wonder how long it will last.

Wonder how this guy feels

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p039y0c3

English managers have had a poor time in Spain especially in recent years. Maybe their inability to speak Spanish doesn't help although that might be a symptom of their short lifespan
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#4 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Was never going to be an easy job and to be fair shouldnt be judged on getting thumped by Barca as they arent the first and wont be the last to have that honour this season. Its a messy job there as to be honest the club is in a bit of a financial mess. They've had to sell a lot of good players in recent years to survive, still sat in a crumbling stadium whilst a potential new one sits across town half finished as they cant afford to do the project any more. We went to a game there a couple of years ago and whilst the fans are passionate the team were poor. Suspect Neville was a bit of a cheap appointment based on the relationship with the Lim family via Salford.

#5 User is offline   spireitewolf 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

Mr Mercury said:

1454573704[/url]' post='1182858']

Or maybe Man U cleaning dressing room lol Barca for the cup

#6 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 04 February 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Guardiola? Beckenbauer? Cruyff?

I suppose you could say that Guardiola learnt his trade when managing Barca B.

I do agree with your point- top players usually don't make good managers and it's far too often assumed they will- but some have worked out (law of averages, mebbe).
These go to eleven.

#7 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 04 February 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

I do agree with your point- top players usually don't make good managers and it's far too often assumed they will- but some have worked out (law of averages, mebbe).

I still think Guardiola has a lot to prove....it wasnt the hardest of jobs taking on Barca with what they had at their disposal then at Bayern its almost as one sided as the Scottish Prem.

#8 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 04 February 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Or which team they are "given" to manage rather than earn the right to manage them?

#9 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

What a waste of space

Quality pundit ...shocking manager

I wonder if( one day ) we will get the opportunity to see if Jamie Redknapp is his antipethis(spl) ?

This post has been edited by Comeonyouirons: 04 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#10 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 04 February 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

What a waste of space

Quality pundit ...shocking manager

I wonder if( one day ) we will get the opportunity to see if Jamie Redknapp is his antipethis ?

I think if anything this will push pundits even further away from the possibility of becoming managers, Neville was lauded as being some kind of football visionary his insight into the game was almost magical. Yes he took on a tough job but I imagine he now has a better insight into the difference between talking about it with gadgets on the box, and doing it for real with a squad and all the peripherals.
Professional football management is a very difficult job, there's no shame in it if he's had a go and can't do it and there is plenty of room for more pundits on BBC, channel 5, BT, ITV, sky and eurosport.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#11 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 04 February 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

I think if anything this will push pundits even further away from the possibility of becoming managers, Neville was lauded as being some kind of football visionary his insight into the game was almost magical. Yes he took on a tough job but I imagine he now has a better insight into the difference between talking about it with gadgets on the box, and doing it for real with a squad and all the peripherals.
Professional football management is a very difficult job, there's no shame in it if he's had a go and can't do it and there is plenty of room for more pundits on BBC, channel 5, BT, ITV, sky and eurosport.

What I said was "tongue in cheek " but he has continued the almost faultless trend of Ex Fergie players who have failed in management .

Keane Ince Casper Robson some might say Bruce ( some might not )... Hughes probably the MOST successful ( whoopy doo ) Perhaps Giggs will be the next Sir Matt ( or Alex )

I said when Neville got the gig at Valencia ...Too big a job to start with ...for anyone

#12 User is offline   Duckys Moved 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf<br />Football<br />Fishing<br />Lager

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 04 February 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

What I said was "tongue in cheek " but he has continued the almost faultless trend of Ex Fergie players who have failed in management .

Keane Ince Casper Robson some might say Bruce ( some might not )... Hughes probably the MOST successful ( whoopy doo ) Perhaps Giggs will be the next Sir Matt ( or Alex )

I said when Neville got the gig at Valencia ...Too big a job to start with ...for anyone

It was too big a job agreed but he would have regretted not taking it. At least he is prepared to stand up and be counted. The pundits on TV make me laugh they are either too stupid or don't have the balls to do it themselves (Ian Wright, Robbie Savage) or have tried it and failed miserably.

#13 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Pointing out peoples errors after a game seems to be slightly less difficult than man managing a squad of highly paid professionals not to make the mistakes in the first place.
Here we go again!

#14 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 04 February 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

I suppose I've a sneaky hope Giggs gets the Old Trafford gig after Van Gaal. That could be a most hilarious watch!

#15 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 04 February 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

I suppose I've a sneaky hope Giggs gets the Old Trafford gig after Van Gaal. That could be a most hilarious watch!

I was hoping maybe Gary Neville

#16 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

somebody who sounds polished for TV who's arrogance takes them to a club at the true best league in the world being exposed?

who'd have thought it

#17 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

If England are ever gonna be a genuine force in World football we need as many players and managers with foreign experience as possible.

It's a disgrace that so few are deemed worthy of top positions abroad.

From that point of view I'd like to see GN succeed, though I fear he's already a sacked man walking, so to speak.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#18 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

If one of the brothers succeed managerially my money would be on Phil.

Though I'm hoping Gary makes it so I don't have to listen to his crappy punditry.

#19 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

The team talk before the second leg will have to be a good 'un

#20 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tits!

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:43 PM