Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Thoughts On The Hartlepool Game - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thoughts On The Hartlepool Game

#1 User is offline   BodieUK 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

Recently got back from Hartlepool; here’s some admittedly unstructured rubbish analysis from today’s game:
Any neutrals at the game today would have found it tough to establish who were the L1 team, and who was L2. Hartlepool in particular played very well 1st half and caused us plenty of problems. 2nd half we really upped our game and had a proper go, got a well-deserved goal.

1st time this season that I’ve seen us play with one striker – SEB really excelled in this role and it was by a long way his most accomplished performance so far. Bringing all the attacking midfielders in to play, getting in dangerous areas…Just lacking the service.

Gardner and Banks – Struggling to really get going in the pre-season campaign, Gardner has shown some good signs but both still overall inconsistent through the whole 90 minutes. Banks I’m sure would benefit playing much higher up the pitch, rather in his current holding midfield role

Aryibi – Carrying on from last season…beat his man, end product crossing-wise can vary. Did well enough for me today to be in the starting 11 for the Barnsley game.

O’Shea – hard to see today exactly where he was meant to be playing. Shadow striker? In the hole? Lacked impact in the first half but caused many problems in the 2nd half when playing a little deeper. Must start against Barnsley

Morsy – No need for me to explain how he played. Captain leading by example

Jones – AKA The Wanderer. As always, dangerous going forward but still lacks concentration. Hartlepool didn’t punish us today but many L1 teams would. The lack of cover from Gardner and Aryibi probably didn’t help his cause though…Seems to be one of the designated corner takers now.

Evatt and Hird – Both players earnt a clean sheet but were reasonably fortunate to get one. Had it not been for some very poor finishing from the Hartlepool forwards it could have quite easily been 3 / 4-1. Bingham’s pace caught Evatt out on occasion but as always, solid aerially.

Talbot – Didn’t really get involved in the game. Lack of Hartlepool attacks along that side, and we tried very much to work the left hand side and centre in the first half. Taken off at HT but not sure whether injury related or precautionary. Must start vs Barnsley
Lee – Clean sheet well earnt but helped by some poor finishing from the Hartlepool forwards. Some good catches in the first half, and distribution is getting better.

Overall, we matched Hartlepool but there wasn’t as much difference between the sides as you would hope, which of course will please Hartlepool more than it does for us.
Having been to all the pre-season games, my team would be as follows:

Lee

Talbot Hird Evatt Jones

O’Shea Morsy Banks Aryibi

SEB Gnanduillet
Twitter: Bodie0402

#2 User is offline   Blue95 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostBodieUK, on 01 August 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Recently got back from Hartlepool; here’s some admittedly unstructured rubbish analysis from today’s game:
Any neutrals at the game today would have found it tough to establish who were the L1 team, and who was L2. Hartlepool in particular played very well 1st half and caused us plenty of problems. 2nd half we really upped our game and had a proper go, got a well-deserved goal.

1st time this season that I’ve seen us play with one striker – SEB really excelled in this role and it was by a long way his most accomplished performance so far. Bringing all the attacking midfielders in to play, getting in dangerous areas…Just lacking the service.

Gardner and Banks – Struggling to really get going in the pre-season campaign, Gardner has shown some good signs but both still overall inconsistent through the whole 90 minutes. Banks I’m sure would benefit playing much higher up the pitch, rather in his current holding midfield role

Aryibi – Carrying on from last season…beat his man, end product crossing-wise can vary. Did well enough for me today to be in the starting 11 for the Barnsley game.

O’Shea – hard to see today exactly where he was meant to be playing. Shadow striker? In the hole? Lacked impact in the first half but caused many problems in the 2nd half when playing a little deeper. Must start against Barnsley

Jones – AKA The Wanderer. As always, dangerous going forward but still lacks concentration. Hartlepool didn’t punish us today but many L1 teams would. The lack of cover from Gardner and Aryibi probably didn’t help his cause though…Seems to be one of the designated corner takers now.

Evatt and Hird – Both players earnt a clean sheet but were reasonably fortunate to get one. Had it not been for some very poor finishing from the Hartlepool forwards it could have quite easily been 3 / 4-1. Bingham’s pace caught Evatt out on occasion but as always, solid aerially.

Talbot – Didn’t really get involved in the game. Lack of Hartlepool attacks along that side, and we tried very much to work the left hand side and centre in the first half. Taken off at HT but not sure whether injury related or precautionary. Must start vs Barnsley
Lee – Clean sheet well earnt but helped by some poor finishing from the Hartlepool forwards. Some good catches in the first half, and distribution is getting better.

Overall, we matched Hartlepool but there wasn’t as much difference between the sides as you would hope, which of course will please Hartlepool more than it does for us.

Lee

Talbot Hird Evatt Jones

SEB Gnanduillet

That is a truly gut wrenching line up.
Who put the ball in the Mansfield net? Super Jackie Lesterrrr

#3 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

I didn't quite see it the same. I thought we looked more comfortable and composed on the ball, and passed far better. They pressed and hassled and had the better chances. Which goes back to last season's issues.. good possession counts for nothing if it doesn't lead to better opportunities and ultimately, goals.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostBodieUK, on 01 August 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Lee

Talbot Hird Evatt Jones

SEB Gnanduillet

Wouldn't argue with most of that. There wasn't much to excite CFC supporters apart from the goal, which was brilliant. Like all the friendlies I've seen it was crying out for a Jimmy Ryan to give us more control in midfield, and if DS doesn't sign a really good midfielder soon we could be in bother, cos Morsy can't do it all on his own and Banks is nowhere near the standard in that position.
Gardner's another one who isn't up to the job, despite the odd clever touch. Strong runner, but no idea about how to use the ball when the time comes. Him and Banks are probably OK as reserves, but if we're relying on them to start we'll struggle.
A good midfielder and a winger who can create are massive priorities, replacing Banks and O'Shea in the line-up above. If that takes a bit of pressure off the defence so much the better, because without the central midfield cover they looked very vulnerable at times, and Hartlepool created more chances than we did.
I'd go with you and play Armand alongside SEB, because SEB's devastating in the box but isn't getting the service as things stand.

Cracking place to go though. Near the ground there's loads of free parking and a nice pub next to it where you can sit out in the sun overlooking the harbour, though the Brakspears Gold isn't a patch on Gold Bud. Hope they get promoted - it's definitely preferable to Millwall.

#5 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:25 PM

Presume you parked in the historic Quay, opposite retail park?
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on 03 August 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

Presume you parked in the historic Quay, opposite retail park?

Yup, and into Jackson's Wharf for lunch and a pint or two. Great place.

#7 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

And easy parking (free), easy walk and easy away. Happy days.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users