Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Women's World Cup. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Women's World Cup. England.

#1 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

We've just won 2-1 against Mexico, the Bbc have just interviewed Mark Sampson.......Who? The England women's manager.
Why don't we have a higher profile manager in charge or more importantly. If a manager puts so much effort into the women's league ( which I'm lead to believe is spread out across Europe & USA) then why haven't we got a non descript pure football person in charge?
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#2 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

Does anybody seriously care about this non event? Bbc have tried their best to big it up, but it's truly shocking.
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#3 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:40 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 13 June 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

We've just won 2-1 against Mexico, the Bbc have just interviewed Mark Sampson.......Who? The England women's manager.
Why don't we have a higher profile manager in charge or more importantly. If a manager puts so much effort into the women's league ( which I'm lead to believe is spread out across Europe & USA) then why haven't we got a non descript pure football person in charge?

Just the job for Paul Cook ?

On a serious note does it matter if he's up to the job where we"ll soon find out, he's hardly dealing with multi millionaire players with big egos, dealing with premiership managers etc

For the record I think I think it should be a woman, Hope Powell being unlucky to lose the job

#4 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

View Postmoondog, on 14 June 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

Just the job for Paul Cook ?

On a serious note does it matter if he's up to the job where we"ll soon find out, he's hardly dealing with multi millionaire players with big egos, dealing with premiership managers etc

For the record I think I think it should be a woman, Hope Powell being unlucky to lose the job

Not that I really follow such matters but I got the impression Hope Powell had become stale in the role, in terms of both team selection and tactics. It's a trap many longer term managers seem to fall into. Certainly there sounded like a collective sigh of relief when she left (wonder if she'd ever be considered by a FL outfit - infact would Town fans welcome such a revolutionary appointment?!) despite her relative success.

I've a kinda 'take it or leave it' attitude towards this Women's World Cup though there does appear a certain honesty and modesty amongst our lasses, an attitude in contrast to all too many of their male counterparts.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 14 June 2015 - 07:08 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#5 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

I'd have no problem at all with Town having a female manager if she was up to the job. Doesn't seem like something that will happen professionally in the UK anytime in the next twenty years though.

#6 Guest_NOKIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 13 June 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

That non profile manager ain't doing too bad is he?

#7 User is offline   Somerset Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

Whilst the technical skills are, for now, not on a par with the men's game, I think it's really refreshing to watch international football without the shocking cynicism that we usually witness. There have been several heavy collisions where the players just get up, shake hands and get on with it.

I also think that there are positive life stories that bear further scrutiny (amongst the England players alone, consider Fran Kirby and Fara Williams).

In short, whilst it's not everyone's cup of tea, I have watched both of England's games so far in this tournament ... but will I bother with the "proper" Slovenia game later?
Riding the blue & white roller-coaster since 1989

#8 Guest_NOKIN_*

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostSomerset Spireite, on 14 June 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

Whilst the technical skills are, for now, not on a par with the men's game, I think it's really refreshing to watch international football without the shocking cynicism that we usually witness. There have been several heavy collisions where the players just get up, shake hands and get on with it.

I also think that there are positive life stories that bear further scrutiny (amongst the England players alone, consider Fran Kirby and Fara Williams).

In short, whilst it's not everyone's cup of tea, I have watched both of England's games so far in this tournament ... but will I bother with the "proper" Slovenia game later?

Can't argue with any of that, particularly the last bit.

#9 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

I've enjoyed the games I've watched upto now. As it's been stated. There's a honesty which is very refreshing to see from a football pitch.
My aim of the thread was to point out that whilst the main England squad need to have a big name overlooking procedures we have a person in charge of the ladies team who pretty much could sit next to you on the train and you wouldn't know who it is. Yet he could potentially end up with something that we know Roy Hodgson ain't gonna get and that's a winners medal?
Why do we need to have a big name in charge of the national team when there could be a pure footballing person that could do a job just as good or possibly even better?

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Is Roy Hodgson a big name?

#11 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostSomerset Spireite, on 14 June 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

My guess is 'yes'.

#12 User is offline   stevie_b 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 13 June 2015 - 11:30 PM, said:

Does anybody seriously care about this non event? Bbc have tried their best to big it up, but it's truly shocking.

Well I'm enjoying it. My football buddy is over in Canada taking in a couple of games. Wish I could have gone but he's taken his girlfriend. How unreasonable: she doesn't even LIKE football. Pffft!! Well, as long as she doesn't start coming to Saltergate (sorry, Proact) then that's cool :)

It's not on a par with the men's game, no - but it's good stuff all the same. My routine is Town on a Saturday and England Women for internationals: I'm not so fussed about watching England Men - bit dull really.

I don't think the manager needs to be female. Best person for the job IMO and Mark Sampson's doing fine. Let's see if the women can win the World Cup before the men. I think they will.

COME ON ENGLAND!

C x

This post has been edited by carrie69: 14 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

#13 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostGoku, on 14 June 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

managed in the top European competitions when in Sweden, Switzerland he managed the national side as well with some success qualifying for a major completion for the first time in 30 years, and Italy with Inter, again reviving the teams fortunes.

In the mid 90`s he was a very highly regarded and in demand manager.

A new hope.

#14 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

I have watched both the games. Against France we looked almost pathetic. Yesterday we looked dull until we scored and then an injection of confidence led to some flowing football. This is the only wimmins football I have ever seen so I dont know what the other international teams are like but I heard that we have generally been regarded as a bit of a joke. This surprised me considering how long we have had a league in this country. It's good that players are honest and aren't feigning injury but as a spectacle it's not great imo, partly because the pace is slow and the lack of chances.

#15 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 14 June 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

I have watched both the games. Against France we looked almost pathetic. Yesterday we looked dull until we scored and then an injection of confidence led to some flowing football. This is the only wimmins football I have ever seen so I dont know what the other international teams are like but I heard that we have generally been regarded as a bit of a joke. This surprised me considering how long we have had a league in this country. It's good that players are honest and aren't feigning injury but as a spectacle it's not great imo, partly because the pace is slow and the lack of chances.

Im sorry but its a poor poor standard

The BBC will do what they can with it because seriously what have they got left to showcase.

I remember a couple of months ago it was a Saturday Afternoon just had ten mins before heading down to the Proact and I flicked onto BBC One.......

They were showing ..........

Bargin Hunt!!!!

Brought up with the legendry Grandstand the BBC has become a bloated luvvie leftie organization thats only interested in Makeover shows, telling us the wrong weather every 15 mins and Cookery contests

They only get the Sport that Sky do not want. Even lost all the Racing to Channel 4.

When the FA Cup final used to be on BBC and ITV there was only one winner. Now the BBC is the biggest loser.

#16 User is offline   stevie_b 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 14 June 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

The BBC will do what they can with it because seriously what have they got left to showcase.

I remember a couple of months ago it was a Saturday Afternoon just had ten mins before heading down to the Proact and I flicked onto BBC One.......

Bargin Hunt!!!!

Brought up with the legendry Grandstand the BBC has become a bloated luvvie leftie organization thats only interested in Makeover shows, telling us the wrong weather every 15 mins and Cookery contests

They only get the Sport that Sky do not want. Even lost all the Racing to Channel 4.

When the FA Cup final used to be on BBC and ITV there was only one winner. Now the BBC is the biggest loser.

Not as poor as the men though ......

#17 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

View Postmoondog, on 14 June 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

For the record I think I think it should be a woman,

What a stupid outdated comment.
I suppose only male sportspeople should be coached by men then and vice versa?
Some silly comments recently about Andy Murray being coached by Mauresmo just because she is female.

It should be the most suitable person for the job regardless of sex

#18 Guest_NOKIN_*

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostGoku, on 14 June 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

He's got an outstanding track record but probably before your time so you're forgiven. He is a top dog in my book. A very big name. 👍

#19 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

Why can't it just be watched as it is without comparison to anything?

#20 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Bargin Hunt!!!!

The simple truth is commercial broadcasters have the finance to vastly outbid the BBC, which is why it's reduced to covering minority sports.

And that's only gonna get worse as the current government cut and re-shape an institution that's been a perennial beacon of freedom and impartiality.

My view is it should always remain advert free and utterly independent, though I fear such days are numbered if those who see it as a "luvvie lefty organisation" have their way.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users