Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Worst Ever Referee At A Chesterfield Game? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worst Ever Referee At A Chesterfield Game?

#21 User is offline   smiffy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Saturday afternoons and Tuesday nights, also, racing caravans backwards !!!given that up now ,got bored.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on 01 March 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

I rarely get riled by refs these days, and anyone else who went to the fa cup game at Darlington 90-91 ish, and witnessed the performance of the Preston garage owner EJ Parker, will fully understand why!

Was at that game. Will remember the game for one thing only.. The poor ref. Never come away from a game feeling as bad as that since. So he gets my vote by a country mile. Think we lost the game 3-2 but that was immaterial.

#22 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostBrimington Barry, on 01 March 2015 - 06:23 PM, said:

How about the one refereed the home match with Hull, maybe 12 years back - Mathieson was it?

Baz

Fred Barber mate see post #8
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#23 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

View Postsmiffy, on 01 March 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

Was at that game. Will remember the game for one thing only.. The poor ref. Never come away from a game feeling as bad as that since. So he gets my vote by a country mile. Think we lost the game 3-2 but that was immaterial.

That is the ultimate poor ref game..forever ingrained in my heart and soul!
East stand second class citizen.

#24 User is offline   BlueDay 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

View Postmartatcross, on 01 March 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

Fred Barber v hull at saltergate the kop celebrated like we had won the cup when he gave us a free kick

Think that was Tues 1 Feb 2005 - hardest point that we have ever earned.

#25 User is offline   semi130497 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

View Postbluesboy52, on 01 March 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

I read with interest the current debate on the standard of referees this season and thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks was the worst referee at a town match. I think David Ellery would top most people's list for his missed goal in the FA cup semi-final. I would also offer, for older fans, the name of A.W.S.Jones of Ormskirk who back in the sixties on Boxing Day missed 3 penalties and gave our opponents Barnsley a blatant offside goal. That put paid to Chesterfield's unbeaten home run and ultimately lost us promotion that year. I have NEVER forgotten!!

Can't believe dema reborn / Keith hasn't replied to this
Everyone thinks forgiveness is a lovely idea until they have something to forgive

#26 User is offline   Lee Ranaldo 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 01 March 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

Yep, he sent Lee Turnbull off for consistently challenging fairly for the ball

If I'm remembering it right, he wasn't within 5 yards of anyone else on the pitch for the second booking. Sure Parker had at least another 2 'mares against us as well.
Wasn't he the ref when Fulham had 2 sent off (and the assistant manager) when we won to stay up in '88?

Does anyone ever remember any ref having a bad game in our favour? I can't, but I'm not sure if this down to the fact that you only remember the ones that go against you or not. The old cliche of 'they always even themselves out' is a load of b***ocks in my mind, reference: Man Utd have gone downhill since Howard Webb retired

#27 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

View Postsemi130497, on 01 March 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

Can't believe dema reborn / Keith hasn't replied to this

He only got out of hospital on Saturday, and wasn't sent home with the proper pain medication

#28 User is offline   semi130497 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

View Postvalemadness, on 02 March 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

He only got out of hospital on Saturday, and wasn't sent home with the proper pain medication

get well soon for him then. I wasn't meaning to be nasty about him BTW I just know his opinion on refs.

How do you know all this stuff all the time? You should work for the security services :)
Everyone thinks forgiveness is a lovely idea until they have something to forgive

#29 User is offline   semi130497 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

View Postbluesboy52, on 01 March 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

I read with interest the current debate on the standard of referees this season and thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks was the worst referee at a town match. I think David Ellery would top most people's list for his missed goal in the FA cup semi-final. I would also offer, for older fans, the name of A.W.S.Jones of Ormskirk who back in the sixties on Boxing Day missed 3 penalties and gave our opponents Barnsley a blatant offside goal. That put paid to Chesterfield's unbeaten home run and ultimately lost us promotion that year. I have NEVER forgotten!!

I still have to say that fa cup semi decision. Nowhere near the worst reffing performance against us when taken in isolation, but for the consequences of the decision it is the worse. It robbed the whole competition too, still no team from the 3rd tier ever made the final in spite of all the great giant killing exploits of various teams over the years.

#30 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

View Postsemi130497, on 02 March 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

get well soon for him then. I wasn't meaning to be nasty about him BTW I just know his opinion on refs.

How do you know all this stuff all the time? You should work for the security services :)

Marcia Is friends with Keith on Facebook (as am I).
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#31 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

View Postsemi130497, on 02 March 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

I've met Keith quite a few times and he's posted it all over his Facebook ;) he was gutted to miss a good ref on Saturday lol

#32 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

I was at a Central Midlands match between Holbrook and Graham Street Prims a couple of weeks ago (attendance about 40 or 50) and every word between ref and players could be heard. Time and again I think to myself, why would anyone want to take up reffing? The official in that match wasn't that bad, but the disrespect coming from the players was consistent and astounding, including from Holbrook's most senior player. It really is time for refs to just crack down- swearing on the pitch will always happen but swearing at the ref should be an immediate red card offence.

Where are refs going to come from in future? You'd have to be daft to want to spend your leisure time being abused from all sides.

This post has been edited by Siberian Spireite: 02 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

These go to eleven.

#33 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

I think the match you refer to against Barnsley wasnt on Boxing Day it was early January and I can still picture Ivan Holletts 25 yard volley hitting the roof of the

Kop net only for the said referee to disallow it because Andy Wilson was stood offside on the wing. That would have made the score 3-3

At least today I think the goal would have been allowed with the changes in the offside laws
[/quote]

As a 7 year old this was my 3rd ever Football match I went to ....

After Crewe and Workington , here along came Barnsley ...I actually asked my Dad if all away teams wore Red shirts and white shorts given that my recent Xmas present of my first ever Subutteo ( purchased from Redgates ) had a team in blue shirts white shorts v a team in Red shirts white shorts

My theory was blown in orbit with my fourth game (early Feb 68 ) which was at home to Exeter City ( including one David Pleat ) who wore a Natty all white number ...with Red numbers !
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#34 User is offline   bluesboy52 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

View Postnewbold ken, on 01 March 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

Yep , we'd just signed bill curry from Mansfield lol

You're right. My memory's going as I get older. I remember Bill Curry used to feign injury in order to get a quick drag of a fag brought on by the trainer !

#35 User is offline   hewittfan 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

View Postvalemadness, on 02 March 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

I've met Keith quite a few times and he's posted it all over his Facebook ;) he was gutted to miss a good ref on Saturday lol

Was it his empty seat that Alexander sat in after being dismissed? It was in that section!

#36 Guest_siralf_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 02 March 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

I think the match you refer to against Barnsley wasnt on Boxing Day it was early January and I can still picture Ivan Holletts 25 yard volley hitting the roof of the

Kop net only for the said referee to disallow it because Andy Wilson was stood offside on the wing. That would have made the score 3-3

47 years on and us that were there still remember it was A W S Jones from Ormskirk. Doesn’t that say something to you youngsters? A truly awful decision

#37 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

View Posthewittfan, on 02 March 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Was it his empty seat that Alexander sat in after being dismissed? It was in that section!

No i am on other side up against the wall of tunnel into stadium,the ref versus Hull was Fred Graham not Barber we haven't had him since,think if i had to pick one it must go to Lee Mason in a league match for being a Premier league ref.....

#38 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostDema Reborn, on 02 March 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

No i am on other side up against the wall of tunnel into stadium,the ref versus Hull was Fred Graham not Barber we haven't had him since,think if i had to pick one it must go to Lee Mason in a league match for being a Premier league ref.....

To be fair he ain't turned out too bad, at least he don't take no crap from Premier players.
God I hate this league.

#39 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 02 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

To be fair he ain't turned out too bad, at least he don't take no crap from Premier players.

Yes your right Dave just basing it on the game he reffed for us,i don't think he wanted to be there that night....

#40 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

George Courtney at Wembley vs Cambridge was terrible

Supposed top ref at the time an all

Was never a corner

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic