Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Impact Of Covid-19, Barnet Fc - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impact Of Covid-19, Barnet Fc

#1 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

https://www.independ...s-a9407006.html

https://www.barnetfc...gency-measures/

Going to be many ‘smaller’ clubs than us make these decisions in the coming weeks

#2 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 17 March 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

https://www.independ...s-a9407006.html

https://www.barnetfc...gency-measures/

Going to be many ‘smaller’ clubs than us make these decisions in the coming weeks

Won't be the only one. Listening Chancellor?

#3 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

View PostELTON 2020, on 17 March 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

I am not sure that football clubs that employ a few staff will be top if his list when the whole hospitality industry and their suppliers are on their bottom at the moment - and they are in the top 5 or 6 employment sectors in the UK. Rumours already circulating that national name supplier to the food and drink sector is on the brink of administration.

And then there are those in the gig economy, those that rent, neither of which have been given much help at all yet but are massively important part of life.

Football can afford to help itself if the rich clubs did something for the less rich ones....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

Football is just so insignificant, can’t see why people don’t realise this really

If small bankrupt clubs who can’t make ends meet because of years of mismanagement go under then so what

And what the **** has it got to do with the Chancellor if football clubs choose to play non league players £2000 a week

This post has been edited by Search and Destroy: 18 March 2020 - 08:03 AM

JRID

#5 User is offline   SALTERGATE 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

No good saving the football clubs if the fans are losing their jobs, that should be the chancellor's priority, the hyper rich premier league teams and players should bail out the lower league clubs

#6 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

There is enough money sloshing about the top level of football for it to sort its own out and leave the government to deal with other stuff.

#7 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:11 AM

I think sport in general is more important to the wellbeing of the population than people realise and that it will become clear in the months to come.

Having said that football in particular is less deserving than most. Anyone relying on the FA and big clubs coming to the rescue are likely to be dissapointed. Just wait to see them retrench when the TV revenue dries up.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#8 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

I work in the travel industry and we have been taking far more cancellations than bookings. Reduced working hours, voluntary unpaid leave etc.... it's all shutting down but when this thing passes of course we are hoping people will decide to travel again. It's just a case of which providers will still be standing.
As regards football, a club like Belper Town which has only one or two contracted players, and those not on much, may well be able to ride this out better than National League clubs with their squads of contracted players who need paying whilst no punters are coming through the gates. I wonder if we will see clubs in the National League + North + South (plus one or two divisions either side) going pop but the ones above and below them managing to survive?
These go to eleven.

#9 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 18 March 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

I work in the travel industry and we have been taking far more cancellations than bookings. Reduced working hours, voluntary unpaid leave etc.... it's all shutting down but when this thing passes of course we are hoping people will decide to travel again. It's just a case of which providers will still be standing.
As regards football, a club like Belper Town which has only one or two contracted players, and those not on much, may well be able to ride this out better than National League clubs with their squads of contracted players who need paying whilst no punters are coming through the gates. I wonder if we will see clubs in the National League + North + South (plus one or two divisions either side) going pop but the ones above and below them managing to survive?

I feel for you in the travel industry, being in hospitality. We are broadly taking more net cancellations a day now than we would expect to take in net bookings....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#10 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 18 March 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

In think so, those with the lower cost bases will get through it far better than others.

#11 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

Lyall Thomas (who i think was a member on here in the past and whos dad Craig wrote Losing My religion) seems to think weve already been stripped to 'lean operating costs' meaning full time employees are not at risk:

https://twitter.com/...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

So, spending £200k a month MORE than what is coming in (whilst in full operation) is being 'lean', god knows what the 'prop up' will need to be now we've got £0 income!

#12 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

Go away.

#13 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

Ebbsfleet and Gillingham have released all backroom (non playing) staff with immediate effect :-(

#14 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 March 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

Ebbsfleet and Gillingham have released all backroom (non playing) staff with immediate effect :-(

They won’t be alone for sure

And it’s a general rule, much easier to stop things than start them again

#15 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:01 PM

View Postmoondog, on 18 March 2020 - 01:58 PM, said:

In think so, those with the lower cost bases will get through it far better than others.

Doesn’t bode well for us then with all our football related baggage

#16 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

All this brings the fact our SSP of ninety five quid per week lags way behind most our European neighbors into even sharper contrast (the apolitical Citizens Advice service insist it should be doubled at least).

Shame it's taken a national crisis with the possibility of millions needing that facility to do so, though.

Yeah, okay, football as an industry is awash with wedge.

But the Sunak and Johnson who've pledged to address this issue are yet to put money where their mouths are: https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 19 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#17 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 19 March 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

All this brings the fact our SSP of ninety five quid per week lags way behind most our European neighbors into even sharper contrast (the apolitical Citizens Advice service insist it should be doubled at least).

Shame it's taken a national crisis with the possibility of millions needing that facility to do so, though.

But the Sunak and Johnson who've pledged to address this issue are yet to put money where their mouths are: https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

Must be some of Boris de Pfaffel’s love children (politely put) negging you. I know you don’t care about this trivia, but I did re-address at least one of them

This post has been edited by azul: 19 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

#18 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:16 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 19 March 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

Not a time for political points scoring. Not sure that its possible to design a complete new way of working and implement it for those affected by something like this in the time it takes to complain they havent done it. Especially whilst trying to also resolve how to deal with the health crisis too...

Do you think if SSP was much higher that suddenly sick leave will increase dramatically? I do.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#19 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:38 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 20 March 2020 - 07:16 AM, said:

Not a time for political points scoring. Not sure that its possible to design a complete new way of working and implement it for those affected by something like this in the time it takes to complain they havent done it. Especially whilst trying to also resolve how to deal with the health crisis too...

Do you think if SSP was much higher that suddenly sick leave will increase dramatically? I do.

maybe it would, but maybe itd be the ones who are going to work under the weather because they cant afford not to.

#20 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 20 March 2020 - 07:16 AM, said:

That's a very Victorian attitude, Ian. Infact I can picture some bloated mill owner declaring 'If we offer enhanced benefits to the lower classes it'll just make them lazy and workshy' back then.

And it's not political pointscoring to demand the government stand by their own pledges. Health and wealth are inextricably linked, none more so than during the current crisis. Scenario one: bloke wakes up with CV19 symptoms, decides ninety-odd quid won't even pay his rent, so goes out and spread the virus. Scenario two: bloke wakes up with CV19 symptoms, decides he can just about manage on the temporarily boosted benefits so isolates helping to stop the disease.

Same applies to employees of Barnet FC, CFC, or any other business in Britain...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users