• You cannot reply to this topic

National League

#41 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 25 March 2020 - 11:36 AM, said:

Has a coach kicked over your bins in a past life or something?

No, just devalued a sport I've spent a life time watching and being involved in
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#42 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

It's a far cry from what was happening 8 years ago today. Same weather though
Here we go again!

#43 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

The Daily Mail reports National league set to cancel the season

https://mol.im/a/8151031

#44 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

View Postmoondog, on 24 March 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

Staveley in limbo waiting to see if they will be promoted to what I believe is their highest ever level

http://www.ncefl.org.uk/tables/long/

If they go up they have to charge a minimum entrance fee of a tenner.
God I hate this league.

#45 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

View PostDIFH, on 25 March 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

If they go up they have to charge a minimum entrance fee of a tenner.

That's the Premier league it's lower for the South East Division should they end up in that, albeit not by much

#46 User is offline   Oh Wade Falana 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:06 PM

Whenever football is allowed to be played then the current season should continue to its conclusion. Future seasons from there will also need to be adjusted until a time comes where we have returned to the norm. An alternative, if football doesn't return for so long that next season is eaten into to such a great extent, would be to conclude the current season then simply play mini tournaments/leagues/cup competitions etc. and officially write off the 2020/21 season. I'm totally against voiding this current season, and believe that the legal ramifications of doing that will prevent it being done.
Gut Busters on Tour

Real Ale Madrid

#47 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

View PostOh Wade Falana, on 25 March 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

Whenever football is allowed to be played then the current season should continue to its conclusion. Future seasons from there will also need to be adjusted until a time comes where we have returned to the norm. An alternative, if football doesn't return for so long that next season is eaten into to such a great extent, would be to conclude the current season then simply play mini tournaments/leagues/cup competitions etc. and officially write off the 2020/21 season. I'm totally against voiding this current season, and believe that the legal ramifications of doing that will prevent it being done.

There's absolutely no way a little thing like football can resume whilst folk're dying. So we're looking to the Autumn at the very, very earliest. By which time every outfit will have a different squad, many will have different managers and some could easily have folded.

The only solution is to therefore book-end this/last season. To place it in the record books as it stands and start again from scratch. Whenever that may be. European p!aces? No choice but to allow 2019/20 qualifiers into the 20/21 draw. They earned the right during the 2018/19 campaign.

Of course there might also be re-structuring to replace Bury and anyone else going belly-up. No answer other than some sort of old school election process.

It's not fair. There could easily be legal challenges. But until someone comes up with a way of exactly the same clubs fielding exactly the same teams under exactly the same managers there's no viable alternative.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#48 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:22 PM

View Postazul, on 25 March 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

The dithering stems from the top.

For example the leagues at tier 7 have decided to terminate the season but have to wait to see what the NL do. I would suggest the NL can't decide until the EFL decides who can't decide until the prem decides (re: the approach to promotion and relegation). It would probably also be helpful if all leagues took the same approach to calculating league standings (or to null and void) to minimise arguments

I would hope th FA would make the final call but all the power is with the Prem these days. The FA have to ratify the decisions but they don't seem to be driving.

I think most agree that the season should be terminated and there's probably more disagreement about how. As you say they should be worrying about next season and should be thinking about contingencies.

To Fishni's point, football may be well down the list of concerns but it still matters and it certainly will do after these dire times end

There was dithering with the Olympics. At least two big countries had already told the IOC they would not be sending any athletes, top swimmers were asking FINA to wade in, the Japanese forced their hand in the end.

#49 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

Couldn't they roll it on 6 months, play out the season in September- December, start next season in February/march till November and play the euros when the African nations is usually played. Do the same the year after so it coincides with the world cup. If it takes 2/3 years to sort it's self out then so be it.

This would also solve problems with postponed games due to less/no pitch problems in winter

This post has been edited by Trigger: 25 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

Here we go again!

#50 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 24 March 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

How is it unimportant? (And no hint of irony on a football forum)!
Thousands of jobs depend on it.
Millions watch it

This wouldn't be the end of football in its entirety, you're being over dramatic. Bare in mind many of the millions of people who watch it will lose their jobs. Jobs in football are no more precious than a fork lift truck driver in a factory.

So I will back up fish, in the grand scheme of things it really is not any more important than any other walk of life. In my opinion a void season means nothing, Its unprecedented I give you that but if it gets wrote off its not the end.

People involved in football and I suppose sport in general believe they are more important than anyone else, it simply isn't true but it is accepted. For instance, I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that all the Plymouth Argyle team were tested and three came back positive, the whole Leicester City squad were tested and many other teams as well. My wife works in Social Care and can't get tested for love nor money she has to wait until symptoms appear before she can even qualify for a test. By that time she could have infected a whole bunch of vulnerable people who would most certainly die.

No, how this season ends really is unimportant in this time of crisis. It will be around next season and the season after. When people in our community die, there is no next season for them.

#51 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:59 PM

View PostQuaker, on 25 March 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

This wouldn't be the end of football in its entirety, you're being over dramatic. Bare in mind many of the millions of people who watch it will lose their jobs. Jobs in football are no more precious than a fork lift truck driver in a factory.

So I will back up fish, in the grand scheme of things it really is not any more important than any other walk of life. In my opinion a void season means nothing, Its unprecedented I give you that but if it gets wrote off its not the end.

People involved in football and I suppose sport in general believe they are more important than anyone else, it simply isn't true but it is accepted. For instance, I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that all the Plymouth Argyle team were tested and three came back positive, the whole Leicester City squad were tested and many other teams as well. My wife works in Social Care and can't get tested for love nor money she has to wait until symptoms appear before she can even qualify for a test. By that time she could have infected a whole bunch of vulnerable people who would most certainly die.

No, how this season ends really is unimportant in this time of crisis. It will be around next season and the season after. When people in our community die, there is no next season for them.

Well said my man. Strange how tests are available for some who think they are better than others. When the person on the street gets diddly squat. Footballers are obviously more important than people working on the front line. Weird society we live in
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#52 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:59 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 25 March 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

There's absolutely no way a little thing like football can resume whilst folk're dying. So we're looking to the Autumn at the very, very earliest. By which time every outfit will have a different squad, many will have different managers and some could easily have folded.

The only solution is to therefore book-end this/last season. To place it in the record books as it stands and start again from scratch. Whenever that may be. European p!aces? No choice but to allow 2019/20 qualifiers into the 20/21 draw. They earned the right during the 2018/19 campaign.

Of course there might also be re-structuring to replace Bury and anyone else going belly-up. No answer other than some sort of old school election process.

It's not fair. There could easily be legal challenges. But until someone comes up with a way of exactly the same clubs fielding exactly the same teams under exactly the same managers there's no viable alternative.

any club that goes to court because they didn't get promotion or a place in Europe due to a global pandemic that potentially killed thousands in this country (worse case) is going to look at best petty & at worse what they are, money grabbing leeches.

#53 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:28 PM

Another thing the league clubs haven't quite grasped, is that there will need to be a waiting period of four to six weeks from the last caronavirus case to ensure there is no secondary outbreak. This will also apply to foreign players, from countries at different stages of the outbreak which complicates matters further. It's pie in the sky to imagine the season can be completed without risk. I would even bank on next season not starting on time.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 25 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

#54 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:47 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 25 March 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

any club that goes to court because they didn't get promotion or a place in Europe due to a global pandemic that potentially killed thousands in this country (worse case) is going to look at best petty & at worse what they are, money grabbing leeches.

I see it has been reported that Yeovil have instructed their lawyers to look into requesting a second parachute payment if the season in voided - god only knows on what grounds?

If they are successful, perhaps we can request a second, second parachute payment
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#55 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 25 March 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

I'm on the same page as you, Chris.

At this very moment in time, and without any other clubs failing, I would say Barrow replace Bury and in pre-season the leaders of NL North and South play off for a place in the NL.

If other clubs go to the wall replacements should take place from teams in a lower division depending on their current league positions (highest first in the queue), then having the necessary ground facilities, and being able to show they are financially capable of completing the season.

#56 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

View Postazul, on 25 March 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

I see it has been reported that Yeovil have instructed their lawyers to look into requesting a second parachute payment if the season in voided - god only knows on what grounds?

If they are successful, perhaps we can request a second, second parachute payment

Logically, if they win such a case we gain but would get 50% of what they get because it would be counted as our second season in this league compared to their first.

#57 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:21 PM

View Postdtp, on 25 March 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'm on the same page as you, Chris.

At this very moment in time, and without any other clubs failing, I would say Barrow replace Bury and in pre-season the leaders of NL North and South play off for a place in the NL.

If other clubs go to the wall replacements should take place from teams in a lower division depending on their current league positions (highest first in the queue), then having the necessary ground facilities, and being able to show they are financially capable of completing the season.

Unfair. Barrow are no means nailed -on to win the League. In the same way we would not be 100% certain to avoid the bottom 3. The only way to treat every club exactly the same is to wrap up the Leagues now and declare them void. The Premiership are motivated by money and greed. It is feasible for them to play behind closed doors perhaps to television audiences and stuff the rest of football. They will hang on to that idea as long as they can.

#58 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

View Postboot, on 25 March 2020 - 05:21 PM, said:

Unfair. Barrow are no means nailed -on to win the League. In the same way we would not be 100% certain to avoid the bottom 3. The only way to treat every club exactly the same is to wrap up the Leagues now and declare them void. The Premiership are motivated by money and greed. It is feasible for them to play behind closed doors perhaps to television audiences and stuff the rest of football. They will hang on to that idea as long as they can.

Nothing will be fair in everybody's eyes, will it?

My thoughts are based on returning the various leagues to their full quota of clubs. Had the EFL sorted the Bury fiasco out earlier then I feel there is a reasonable possibility that another team would have been allowed into the 4th division to make the numbers up.

At this stage, I think there is a distinct possibility that other clubs will be unable to prove they can finance another season in the league try are in. The likes of Macclesfield and Oldham had question marks over them before coronavirus halted play. Then Birmingham are struggling to pay wages and are asking players to take a pay cut. And, there will be more.

As such, the various leagues might need to invite (if that's the right word) other clubs to join just to make the numbers up but apart from taking into account current positions in the table there has to be other criteria met as well such as on a facility and financial basis.

None of us know exactly what the situation might be but if I have one wish it is that clubs start living within their means and monies are kept in the game rather than flooding out paying extortionate wages making multi-millionaires out of players and their greedy agents.

#59 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

The EFL didn't have a full quota this season but it was going ahead until the virus struck. Just start again in August like nowt happened.

#60 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 25 March 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

The EFL didn't have a full quota this season but it was going ahead until the virus struck. Just start again in August like nowt happened.

No guarantee leagues will be able to start again then
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

Share this topic:

• (34 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users