Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Rangers Takeover Falls Through - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rangers Takeover Falls Through

#1 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Shall we sound the death knell now or...?

Bill Miller has withdrawn his bid for Rangers, blaming fan opposition and fresh information that revealed the seriousness of Rangers' finances.

The American businessman had been named the preferred bidder to buy Rangers by administrator Duff & Phelps last week.

But some Rangers fans greeted the news with anti-Miller banners at last week's game against Dundee United.

And he has now said that "preliminary information" given by the Duff & Phelps was "more optimistic than reality".

"As soon as I was announced as preferred bidder for Rangers, my team began to press ahead with our due diligence," said Miller in a statement.

"Until then, information had been limited to what was made available in the internet data room and questions addressed to the administrators and their staff.

"In addition, I had preliminary discussions with the Scottish footballing authorities and limited discussions with Ally McCoist.

"Upon being named preferred bidder, discussions with Rangers staff started and discussions with all interested parties intensified.

"We continued to work through the holiday weekend in order to meet a very compressed schedule.

"By late Monday night, it became clear to me that preliminary information, discussions and analysis were, unfortunately, more optimistic than reality."

Miller had yet to visit Scotland following his bid for the club but turned in his statement to the reaction from some Rangers fans.

"Having no intention of negatively affecting the potential outcome of the club's future and after hearing the message from Rangers supporters and fans loud and clear ("Yank go home!"), I notified the administrators today that I have withdrawn my bid for Rangers and will not be moving forward," he added.

"I am deeply disappointed as I had considered the opportunity to bid for one of the most historic football clubs in the world, an honour and a privilege.

"I wish Rangers fans, supporters and employees my very best. I hope all your dreams and wishes come true. You certainly deserve it.

"I am most disappointed that I won't have the opportunity to walk into Ibrox Stadium on the day of an Old Firm match as my friends tell me the hair on my arm will stand up and I will never witness such passion and spirit at any sporting event.

"God Speed, Rangers!"

More to follow.

What does this now mean for Rangers? Will the administrators now accept what was the non-preferred bid (Brian Kennedy's wasn't it?) or will this mean that the 'Gers are edging ever closer to extinction?

I must say I find Miller's worries about the extent of the club's misfortunes rather amusing, surely he along with the rest of us knew the direness of the situation since Valentines Day? I have to give him credit for being magnanamous in defeat, makes me wonder exactly what 'Gers fans problem specifically was with Miller's bid.

#2 User is offline   Oscar Tone 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gin and tonic. Patron of the arts and movies where things blow up.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

The bigger they come, the harder they fall. Does this mean we stay in Div 1 now?

#3 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostOscar Tone, on 08 May 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

The bigger they come, the harder they fall. Does this mean we stay in Div 1 now?

:D

Actually though, if Rangers go bust and a new company can't be formed, does anyone think this may prompt Celtic into again considering entry into the English leagues? Unlikely, admittedly, but I was reading about this only a few days ago and apparantly if Celtic were to apply to join the Football League, it'd most likely be League 1 (or even League 2) where they would have to start. That could have negative consequences for a League 2 club chasing promotion, though hopefully by that time we'd be comfortably back in L1 anyway.

Can you imagine though, Chesterfield vs Celtic, what a dream encounter! I don't doubt many Hoops fans would right now cringe at the idea of away day journies to Crawley and Scunthorpe, but if Rangers go bust, what are the options? A Scottish duopoly becomes a monopoly, with it taking years for the likes of Hearts, Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hibs to get to Celtic's level. The SPL would surely suffer, and the knock-on effect would probably mean Celtic would ultimately suffer at the box office too. I say invite Celtic into the Football League, then basically consider the SPL is starting from Year Zero, with "brand new" teams competing for the title.

#4 Guest_Punkindonuts_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

all we need now is for Celtic to fold then maybe all the other teams in the league can grow abit

#5 User is offline   Oscar Tone 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

There was some talk of Celtic coming in at League 2 level. Precedents have been set by the presence of Welsh teams in the league. I would not have a problem with it & i think most League clubs would welcome the revenue.

#6 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostPunkindonuts, on 08 May 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

all we need now is for Celtic to fold then maybe all the other teams in the league can grow abit

Celtic won't fold, they're too massive and well-run. I did say above, though, that they will take a financial hit if Rangers become extinct, so it would make sense for them to apply to join the Football League. Say if they started in L1, within 2 years they will have reached the Premier League anyway and be playing the likes of Man United, Arsenal etc. It will take longer than 2 years for Motherwell to build a side that can challenge for the SPL, that would take probably a decade at best. What happens to Celtic and Scottish football in the meantime?

Better Celtic pull out ASAP and come join the greatest league in the world than stay in the albatross league north of the border.

#7 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostOscar Tone, on 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

There was some talk of Celtic coming in at League 2 level. Precedents have been set by the presence of Welsh teams in the league. I would not have a problem with it & i think most League clubs would welcome the revenue.

Exactly, Oscar. To those who would disapprove of Celtic joining our league, why then aren't you so bothered about Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham, Newport etc being in our system all these years? Last I checked neither Glasgow nor Wales were part of England.

#8 User is offline   Oscar Tone 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Mind you if it would mean getting shot of the Welsh clubs i'd be quite happy not to let Celtic in.

#9 Guest_Punkindonuts_*

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

I think if they were to play down here then it is only fair that they start right at the very bottom of the leagues and not just jump straight into any of the top 4 divisions

#10 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

surely the rangers fans should have just sucked it up and got on with it, at least under Miller they would have had a club to support!
Essex Spireite

#11 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostHeisenberg, on 08 May 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Exactly, Oscar. To those who would disapprove of Celtic joining our league, why then aren't you so bothered about Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham, Newport etc being in our system all these years? Last I checked neither Glasgow nor Wales were part of England.

years ago the fa in their wisdom asked the welsh clubs & the scottish ones to join a british league. the welsh said yes, the scots no. thats how cardiff, swansea are in our leagues & celtic, rangersetc arent.

if rangers do go to the wall then celtic should leave the spl to give the other teams a chance to grow. celtic should go to their spiritual home & join the irish league.

#12 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostPunkindonuts, on 08 May 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

I think if they were to play down here then it is only fair that they start right at the very bottom of the leagues and not just jump straight into any of the top 4 divisions

I think, because of their history and prestige, Celtic should be elected to the Championship. I can't see any of the Premier League clubs voting for them to jump straight into the top flight, but as the Premier League and Football League are technically two different organizations anyway, hopefully election to the "top tier" of the FL would be successful.

As for getting shot of the Welsh clubs, I don't know. Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham have been in our system for so many years now. Didn't they have the chance to join the fledgling Welsh League when it started in the early 1990s? It's pretty obvious why they refused. I remember when then-Wimbledon chairman Sam Hammann was talking of moving the Dons to Dublin in the mid '90s. You can bet your last pound that wouldn't have meant he'd have wanted them to also relocate from the EPL to the League of Ireland. There's a reason why we are the best football league system in the world, and bringing Celtic into the fold would make it even better.

#13 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostHeisenberg, on 08 May 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I think, because of their history and prestige, Celtic should be elected to the Championship. I can't see any of the Premier League clubs voting for them to jump straight into the top flight, but as the Premier League and Football League are technically two different organizations anyway, hopefully election to the "top tier" of the FL would be successful.

As for getting shot of the Welsh clubs, I don't know. Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham have been in our system for so many years now. Didn't they have the chance to join the fledgling Welsh League when it started in the early 1990s? It's pretty obvious why they refused. I remember when then-Wimbledon chairman Sam Hammann was talking of moving the Dons to Dublin in the mid '90s. You can bet your last pound that wouldn't have meant he'd have wanted them to also relocate from the EPL to the League of Ireland. There's a reason why we are the best football league system in the world, and bringing Celtic into the fold would make it even better.

financially or football wise?
celtic would be a run of the mill premiership side, the level of a fulham/west brom nothing more.

#14 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 08 May 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

years ago the fa in their wisdom asked the welsh clubs & the scottish ones to join a british league. the welsh said yes, the scots no. thats how cardiff, swansea are in our leagues & celtic, rangersetc arent.

if rangers do go to the wall then celtic should leave the spl to give the other teams a chance to grow. celtic should go to their spiritual home & join the irish league.

Unfortunately, the LOI, which I try and follow when possible, is in even worse shape now than what a potentially Celtic-and-Rangers-less Scottish League would be in. Even the biggest Irish clubs cannot top attendances of a few thousand for the big games. Over there, gaelic football (GAA) is the countries number one spectator sport, and those who prefer "soccer" tend to support (i.e watch on Sky) big British clubs such as Celtic, Manchester United and Liverpool.

#15 User is offline   Oscar Tone 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 08 May 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

celtic would be a run of the mill premiership side, the level of a fulham/west brom nothing more.

Painful though it is, its not the case. Rangers & Celtic competed semi-decently when they had tv money coming in; there can be little doubt that Celtic would soon be up there. Maybe not top draw but there'd be punching thier weight against Spurs, Everton & whichever North East club would happen to be up there.

#16 Guest_Punkindonuts_*

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

but which teams in the top 4 divisions would willingly jepordise their own position in any of the leagues and vote in favour of letting celtic join any of the top 4 divisions, because where ever they join other teams will have to go down.

#17 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 08 May 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

Both. Celtic's first season in the EPL may well end up seeing them consolidate as a mid-table team. But that's not to say in a year or two they couldn't work their way up to Europa/Champions League stature. Consider Newcastle this season, everyone said they would be mid-table again, but there they are vying for a Champion's League spot. Celtic are big enough to do the same, and I'm sure they would race up the Football League if they had to start in a lower division.

The financial benefits both for Celtic and all the other clubs who they will face every season is tantalising to say the least.

#18 User is offline   Heisenberg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostPunkindonuts, on 08 May 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

but which teams in the top 4 divisions would willingly jepordise their own position in any of the leagues and vote in favour of letting celtic join any of the top 4 divisions, because where ever they join other teams will have to go down.

I think what would be the most likely scenario would be this: say if Celtic got elected to the Football League for season 2013/14, then in 12/13 I imagine there would only be one promotion place available from the Conference that season, for the champions obviously, and two teams would be relegated from League 2 as usual. Might sound unfair now, but bear in mind for donkeys years there was only ever one promoted team from the Conference, and before that, it was based on election.

Celtic would take the spare place in the Football League, and would begin their English campaign in whichever League division they were allowed into, probably after running away with their final Scottish Premier title.

This post has been edited by Heisenberg: 08 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

#19 User is offline   Oscar Tone 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

So we have financial reasons for Celtic to jump on board, the precedent of Welsh teams & an upping of the entertainment level. Not wholly convincing, but all i'm hearing in the against column are fairly wishy-washy its not fair type comments. Re clubs missing out, simples, put it to all 92 teams to vote on it & see how it stands then.

This post has been edited by Oscar Tone: 08 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

#20 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostHeisenberg, on 08 May 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

I think what would be the most likely scenario would be this: say if Celtic got elected to the Football League for season 2013/14, then in 12/13 I imagine there would only be one promotion place available from the Conference that season, for the champions obviously, and two teams would be relegated from League 2 as usual. Might sound unfair now, but bear in mind for donkeys years there was only ever one promoted team from the Conference, and before that, it was based on election.

Celtic would take the spare place in the Football League, and would begin their English campaign in whichever League division they were allowed into, probably after running away with their final Scottish Premier title.

that'd be league 2 then.

its never going to happen. if rangers go bust then celtic & the spl would go into a tail spin & never recover.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users